Ok Veeky Forums

Ok Veeky Forums

I want a fun car that is also somewhat economical and wont have me in the garage every other week getting it fixed.

Potatofag here, I live in Ireland, so any UKfags/Europoors will probably be able to help a bit more, but Amerifats please feel free to leave your petrolhead wisdom here too.

miata

You didn't specify your taste, so I'll just throw the Gen 3 Seat Ibiza in here. It was available with a 160hp 1.9l diesel engine. A diesel because you wanted something economical. I don't know about the reliability, but I haven't encountered problems with VAG diesel engines yet
>inb4 dieselgateemissionblargh
It's something that's usually not spoken of on here, but 160hp plus the weight of about 1.2 tons stock should be a little fun.

Ok what's your budget?

twingo

Get a Honda from the 90s.
Be prepared to shell out more than minimum for a decent condition one that's unabused.
Personally reccomend Civics, Preludes, and Integras.
Cheers, potatofriend

fiesta st

>this is what yuropoors consider fun

OP here,
Apologies all, I have been pretty bad on the details.

What im looking for
>Petrol, I do not do the mileage for a diesel.
>Economical enough on fuel, maintenance and repairs.
>Preferably a 1.6 - 2.0 engine, for insurance and tax.
>Hatchback 3dr would be nice, but would consider 5dr saloons.
>Preferably NOT a VAG. I have a VAG, and im worried about timing chain issues with the 1.2 engine I have.

budget - around 5K
Also have a trade in I can use valued at least 6K

twingo.

You can pick one of these up for under a grand

AE86

Celica

Definitely not in my budget, in this country anyway!

can be bought here for around 3K for a crap one, 5-6K for an alright one. Would consider them though, how are they vs a miata?

Shit luggage space, interior feels more plasticy, engine is dependent on juuuust the right oil level which against expectations isn't between the markers but right around the upper limit, which is why many of these engines develop issues that they wouldn't need to if every owner had known this from day one.

keep the suggestions coming.

In the running so far:
Miata
Mr2

Now, how economical are these cars, MPG's, cost of parts etc?

No old twingo's for sale here user :0

Do you prefer a drivetrain layout? FF, FR, MR, AWD, etc?

What about an ae101 or ae111 corolla? Not sure how much they cost there but

why would he get that instead of an integra?

The Toyota Levins are sold here yeah, but they are mostly all riced out to the max and are a bitch to insure here, because of the ricer communities hobby of racing each other into tree's.

Basically, in Ireland, you can almost forget about owning a Jap sports car.
And the older a car is here, regardless of performance, the insurance companies dont like to cover it. A 10 year old car is seen as becoming un-insurable here soon - Thats only a 2006!

Integra is one of my dream cars to own, but see post to see why that's almost impossible here, unless you are rich.

peugeot 205 gti

Import a Cappuccino or Alto Works

what engines do these have? im liking them.

some weak 4 banger but it's okay you can LS1 swap

Import one

old peugeot gti
can't go wrong

Thisu.

Didn't come in RHD until the 2nd gen.

Clio RS though, maybe?

Toyota Starlet

nice pupper

>this is the most fun an econobox could become 10 years ago

Honda Civic

miata
i
a
t
a

MX-5s get pretty mediocre fuel economy for a small car. That aside, they're reliable and cheap to maintain, tax and insure (depending).

Whichever of the Clio 172/182/197 might be worth a shout too

Dogumi running at hihg speed

Blacktop 4age 20 valve. They make like 160 hp out of a 1.6

80s-90s Volvos are nice.

this.

IS200 might be worth a look. Funnily enough I just bought mine off a spud. He left some weird potato CD in the deck with leprecaun songs on it.