Tell me Veeky Forums are you a mudflaps or a no mudflaps kind of guy

Tell me Veeky Forums are you a mudflaps or a no mudflaps kind of guy

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/
thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/
toptiergas.com/retailers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>roasties

Depends on your environment. If you live in the midwest where the weather grinds your roads in to dust yearly, your car will suffer traumatic abrasions where your wheels kick up dust, rocks and rocksalt on to your paint.

I'd rather have them than not. Less paint damage.
But I especially want other faggots to have them. Less rock chips on my fucking hood.

I do have them (gonads), but I don't use them for that.
>Not even gay

They're retarded. Cover as much of the front of the tire as possible, and the front half of the top. Everything else gets vented for maximum racecar.

Are these even useful on a sedan? Why would you want them unless you owned a truck or an SUV?

only if it's a genuine manufacturer part
not rally armor stuff it always looks shit

I would, but rallyarmor doesn't make a precut set for my particular soob, and fuck paying over $100 for mudflaps that I have to drill and cut to install myself.

they're good for preventing rock chips

Do you never drive any remotely dirty or dusty roads?

They are good at reducing salt spray onto the body panels.

I don't like the look of mudflaps, but I also don't like busted windshields, so I got a set on my truck. Can't expect other people to have em if I don't have a set myself.

>Mudflaps
>On a post 2009 non turbo legacy platform

KEK

i bought some and stuck them on my car because it makes an absurd amount of water spray in the rain compared to most cars. i mean its formula one bad. but it only helped about 30%. i can still see a fog follow me when i drive, and people behind me out their wipers on high

You can get the universal set for like 25 bucks on amazon

Literally the first thing I got for my STI, along with Hella Supertones.

>Are these even useful on a sedan?
They have many uses in protecting you own car. You evidently don't drive anywhere but perfect environments. No grit. No salt. No mud. No rain. No tar on road. No gravel on road. No pebbles on road. No rocks on road. No sand on road. Wow, you really drive in paradise. Or you simply never thought about the driving environment because you were never able to put yourself into thinking about what driving entails. To you the car is just like a toaster. You just use it.

But let's mention one other aspect. On rutted freeway roads (studded tire damage), rain gathers in the ruts. The tires slashing thru the water causes small rooster tails that flop more water and grit onto the cars around me. So, in addition to the rain, that extra water and grit obscures their vision.

By using mudguards (mine are stiff OEM type, not floppy flaps), this flings a lot of the spray back down to the ground instead of the air. Thus, I end up being a considerate driver to those around me and marginally improve their safety.

Improving overall safety for everyone was part of my goal when I had the OEM mudguards ordered as part of the new car order. I remember all the other rooster tails hitting my windshield and the grit and pebbles thrown up by other cars even on dry days. Reeeee. So by getting mudguards, I tried to reduce the anger and anxiety of other drivers on the road. It's not being liberal, it's just being considerate of others.

nah mudflaps are for rally soobs and trucks

I like it. it's useful even though some people get them entirely for looks. Buying mine soon

What's your vape setup?

I have "tready" tires with treads just the right size to grip those very small pebbles and fling them up to cause rock chips. Certain tires have treads like that. So my flaps really cut the rock throwing way down. People following me get far fewer paint chips.

The reason you get flaps instead of stiff mudguards is in case you accidentally run over something large like a curb (at slow speed of course) or speedbump. There may be times you deliberately want the car to slowly climb over a low obstacle like a curb. But stiff mud guards would catch a curb and be ripped off. Flaps just flex out of the way.

So do consider mud flaps instead of stiff mudguards. Almost all OEM supplied items will be the stiff mudguards. It's the aftermarket where you find mudflaps. Anyways, keep the obstacle problem in mind.

I have mudflaps on my truck. I once got pulled over in Utah for no mud flaps after both right side mud flips ripped off when I was off roading.

>tfw i found a matching 4x4 tacoma right rear mud flap on the side of a trail half way across the country and slapped it on my truck

>I modified my outback because I'm a massive faggot

mudflaps, keep it classy and the rockers clean.

You're jealousy is showing. Besides, the flaps make an SUV look like it might be able to actually do more than just drive on a paved road.

They protect the ayc pump from road salt and shit, and stop the rear bumper from getting chewed by gravel. The front ones stop the sills from being shotblasted by small stones.

So yes, mudflaps.

>Ralliart
>Yaw control

The sides of the car are a lot cleaner after I installed them, so I'm amazed I took so long to do it. Adding them is pretty easy since I'm not a manchild.

You can just get universals dude. They're 25 a set.

>He doesn't know what Ralliart actually is
>He thinks that means it's a Lancer Ralliart and not an Evo bearing the logo of Mitsubishi's Motorsport team--which ended up being the name of a trim model

Sorry. Not jealous of you shitty family hauler with a cvt and/or a shitty 4 cylinder.

>tfw Ralliart is dead and Mitsu is out of the performance game
>WRX and STi will just get fatter and fatter

Just vape my shit up.

New sti are actually pretty small and actually shorter than an older model. I have mud flaps and it really does help allot especially for my long gravel drive way and all the logging roads I drive around on.

There is a solution

That looks like it already has plastic rocker covers.

>Tell me Veeky Forums are you a mudflaps or a no mudflaps kind of guy

My opinion might be swayed if adding both front and rear mudflaps increases the amount of vibration noise

>mazda mzr

kek

It was a good $40 I'd say so

Ford owned Mazda at the time so it's Ford's IP anyways.

i have mud guards

Because not all of us drive in a major city 95% of the time.

How true is this image?

>How true is this image?

consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

The test engine is a Ford 2.3 liter mounted to a dynomometer. Kirkland Gas stations is sold by Costco and is widely available. Costco is better than Walmart at providing value and tested products for its members. Sam's Club (walmart) treats the members more like customers who pay to shop rather than as members getting benefits.

As to the actualy cleaning results, it seems pretty true. AAA had a recent test of Top Tier gasolines versus non Top Tier gasolines. Their detailed report came out this summer, so the results are current.

newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/

Top Tier detergent requirements are clearly good enough and cheaper than buying Techron additive. If your valves are all carboned up though, Top Tier can reduce some but it takes a long time, so that's why it is good to start new cars out on Top Tier and stay there. Otherwise, you need a lot of overdosing with high concentration PEA detergent additives. Techron isn't the one with the highest amount of PEA or best price performance ratio as determined in various auto enthusiast forums.

thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/

www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

As said by thetruthaboutcars, according to the AAA study, the non-Top Tier fuel caused carbon deposits that were 19 times higher than the deposits from the Top Tier fuel. They also saw better drivability and better fuel economy when the better fuel was used. Emissions were also reduced, likely due to the ban of metallic additives in Top Tier fuel. The 1995 EPA fuel standard minimum requirements were designed to meet emissions targets but didn’t account for modern engine longevity.

toptiergas.com/retailers/

Costco gas is better than walmart/sam's gas.

Mudflaps are the only tasteful modification to a car

good shit and thanks for the links

not mudflaps on non-drive wheels

k

>thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/

>ARCO, BP, Costco, Chevron, 76, Valero, Shell

So almost every major gas station brand? Got it.

>dirt and grime only flicks off drive wheels
When you were born, did the doctors announce their congratulations on your parents newly birthed potato?

I don't like the looks of them, but I will put them on my Miata because it's getting blasted like fuck.

Mud guards/flaps in front of the rear wheels are pretty goat

I never knew newer bmw had this option. This is the first one I`ve seen with mudguards.

>I never knew newer bmw had this option.
Your comment also illustrates a situation with many car owners. They feel uneasy of having any "mods" that aren't factory-provided options. However, OEM mud guards or OEM mud flaps are often actually not options provided by the factory. They are typically provided by the dealerships using OEM mud guards. At least that is how GM does it as I was told by my dealership.

>Tell me Veeky Forums are you a mudflaps or a no mudflaps kind of guy

Mud flaps are required of commercial trucks by state law due to road spray, kicked up rocks and grit affecting cars behind them. I just wish the flaps were lower because some companies put them so high up (thus not blocking any debris) that they might as well be non-functional. Those greedy companies mount their flaps high because otherwise the flaps wear out from the grinding action of rocks and debris hitting the flaps.

I had no idea trucks could just go through flaps like that. Still, its just a piece of rubber.

>I had no idea trucks could just go through flaps like that. Still, its just a piece of rubber.

I've seen semi-trucks with large holes in their flaps due to the grit wearing a hole in it. The better flaps have lots of fingers on the impact side which also slow down the water spray so it can fall downwards instead of just being thrown out the side of the flaps. That's a considerate touch.

mudlfap kind of guy

>go drag racing
>think i should tape my fenders to prevent gunk from burnouts
>forget about it
>do sick burnouts all night
>look at car
>almost no gunk
>half inch of black tar on mudflaps

thats neat

heres something to think about. on direct injection engines, the gasoline should only ever be on the opposite side of the carbon build up on those valves. how can they say that their gasoline cleans what it has no contact with?

>half inch of black tar on mudflaps

I've had regular asphalt road tar on the mudguards instead of the paint, so I am happy about that. Saves me from having to clean the tar off. I have them for all wheels.

I love mudflaps

holy fuck
P I Z Z A
M U D F L A P S

that's not an AWD rally car

Is your bumper taped on?

Fucking jej
Probably a slapdash repair between stages that he hasn't bothered to fix.

Filing this under fetish, this is my

Oh my fuck

Are your hella horns pizza-wrapped too??

Should have gotten front ones too

>tfw no mud to flap because of the drought

Beautiful...how did you lift it? I want to lift my car up a little.

Rear springs are from the AWD models, which are the same dimensions but meant to hold more weight. The front has a pair of custom-made coilovers that came off an ex-stage rally car, and are basically comprised of a heavy duty strut that was valved to survive rally abuse but had the spring perch cut off and replaced with a coilover sleeve and 14" Eibach springs. The company that made mine stopped production years ago, but beefy aftermarket struts such as Bilstein HD's are available for your car, you could technically employ the same design.

You can also try adding metal or hdpe spacers to the tops of your struts, but only like 1" at most.

now THIS is a GO 'za!!!

bump for mud flaps

thinking of getting some for the winter, what do you all use

I couldn't resist, I just dig mudflaps.

>have mudflaps on car
>its so low the front ones keep ripping off
>mfw its factory rideheight if not higher because of aftermarket shocks
Da fuk a coke can barely fits under the car and the wheels tuck into the wells especially at the back it squats like a mofo because 90s v8 irs

rip v8 opel dunnydoors 1970-2017 :(

>thinking of getting some for the winter, what do you all use
The choice varies on how low your car is. If it's low and you have tall speedbumps at work or in your HOA neighborhood, then flaps might be better than OEM stiff plastic guards. Obviously, if you go OEM stiff mudguards, you'll have only one choice so no need to ask us. So that means the soft flexible flaps from a 3rd party will be your other choice. Of that I don't know since I have always gone OEM on all my cars.