How do you feel about the demise of the internal combustion engine?

How do you feel about the demise of the internal combustion engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111026143721.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_storm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Had a good run, will be decades before we even see alternatives make a dent in overall ICE numbers

This, production will take a long time to ramp up to meet demand. If and when an affordable patent free battery tech develops.

leaves the normal cars for enthusiasts to enjoy and at the same time the planet wont be fucked over as fast. sounds like heaven to me.

The sooner normies switch to electric, the more petrol will be left for those that maintain ICE classics.

Oil ain't going nowhere user.

>unproven theory

That's not how oil is made...
It's compressed organic matter, there's no unlimited amount.

I've been told this before.... but I'm holding out.

In the future, say 30 years from now, having old-school manually driven, internal combustion cars will be something only a niche market wants and needs. They'll have special clubs and private courses that they pay dues to in order to have their thrills fulfilled. Everyone else, say 99.98 percent of the populace will be content allowing the computers to drive their electric vehicles.

It's already been proven wrong. Natural crude oil has amino acids and proteins which can only be biogenic in origin.

>implying gubmints won't just start taxing the fuck out of petrol in order to force people in to electric shitboxes

>implying gubmints will allow your death polluter on roads
>muh trax
fuck off, fuck tracks, you can be cucked if you want but I'll keep on burning dinosaurs.

Old stars produce complex hydrocarbons, these seed asteroids which form planets. It gets separated in the mantle and floats to the crust.
> I always get ass blasted by people when I bring up abiogenic oil, so just...... relax if you don't believe it that's fine.

I guess that's why classic cars get tax cuts almost everywhere?

Petroleum geologist here. You're a fucking idiot. The source rock facies we looks for are always marine sedimentary formations with high algal content or terrestrial plant deposits. There isn't a single commercially viable reservoir on Earth that's convincingly abiogenetic.

Abiogenetic oil exists in theory only, that it may be "plausible" for hydrocarbons to form in the ground from it's chemical components. Only problem is we've never seen evidence of it actually happening.

>start taxing the fuck out of petrol
As if that didn't happen decades ago already.

If it's registered as a classic car, yeah, but then you get to drive it once in never and only to car shows.
If it's registered as a normal car you can get fucked

> relax
But they (Russians) find Oil below the fossil layer, don't they?

I never follow the heard, Dinosaurs where huge because the earth was smaller and had less water = less gravity, extra water came from kuiper belt comets disturbed when the Solar system passes through the galactic plane. Which coincides with most mass extinctions.

The Moon was created by a near miss with Mars. (planets haven't always been where they are now)

wrong pic

>Dinosaurs where huge because the earth was smaller and had less water = less gravity
timecube pls

Just a random thought.
Argentinosaurus, would have footprints 1 foot deep.
the largest dinosaur known from uncontroversial evidence, estimated to have been 96.4 t (106.3 short tons) and 39.7 m (130 ft) long.

>the planet wont be fucked over as fast

There are other, more vital concerns than muh cars.

>timecube pls
just checked that.., da fuck, that was worse than calling me AFI
I did visit Keely long ago though.

/Thread

is this like the mines of moreia or the tower orthanc
>tfw every faction has its own tower
>even the spider

Except that this picture is old as fuck and the interval of billions have more or less stabilized from 12 to 15 years since the 3 billion mark.

From 6 to 7 billion actually took 13 years (not 11 like on the picture), and 8 billion are projected for 2024 which makes for 14 years.

Typo, 8 billion are projected for 2026.

I want to believe

>there's no unlimited amount.
and yet the end of oil has been predicted by environmentalist lefties for the past 25 years, and yet everytime it seems like theres a shortage, we find a new pocket somewhere or develop some new technology to more easily get it.

How come STEAM powered cars never caught on post 1920's?

If theres anything I've learned about exponential curves, it that they always go one FOREVER

>1492

The year 1492 is considered to be a significant year in the history of the West.
Because they found out that what they had been previously taught was not true.

>Titan has a ton of methane lakes
>Io spews out sulfur and methane
>Both have propane octane and heptane traces
>Neither moon ever had dinosaurs on it

kys Exxon\Mobile shill

Astronomers report in the journal Nature that organic compounds of unexpected complexity exist throughout the Universe. The results suggest that complex organic compounds are not the sole domain of life but can be made naturally by stars.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111026143721.htm

Tot saying this is gospel..., just think about it?

expensive, multiple fuel sources required, needs time to build up steam or just retarded complicated boilers.

and gas was cheap, simple, easy and everywhere.

>they catch fire allot
>consume a massive amount of water
>the boilers only operate within a limited range of orientations

the last point is the most important

>Modding electrical shitboxes with fat as fuck tyres, high voltage battery packs, custom ESCs, supercapacitor-integrated launch controls

It's gonna be great

the cooling and fires will be a nightmare
but its about time some chaos entered the automotive realm
>its all fun and games

Everyone gets out of Juan Manuel Fangio way.

> Dinosaurs were huge
Yeah but because of the higher levels of oxygen in the atmosphere at the time

>hawthorn going in for an unexpected fuel >stop and slows down quickly
>macklin brakes hard and gets into hectic skids
>levegh warns fangio while trying to dodge >macklin and gets launched by the austin ramp shaped rear
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_storm

internal combustion will go the way of steam

a collector's item

Eventually.

Maybe within the next 100 years.

The internal combustion engine overtook steam engines because they were more convenient and cheaper.

By time the Model T and the electric starter (no more arm breaking hand crank starts) came, the best steam engine cars were better in all technical aspects (performance, range, fuel economy and emissions). The Model T was just cheaper and more reliable.

>electric motors have far less moving parts than even simple IC engines
>literally just plug it in and it works

If they just fix the range and recharge time issue while making it cheap, the IC engine will fall just as quickly as the steam engine did. MOST consumers want appliances, and most young people in cities don't have a car.

Soon, every car will be at least a hybrid (prius). Then every car will be at least a gas range extender (i3). then every car will be full electric (tesla). And all cars will be self driving before that.

;_;

Yes, I have heard that but they would still be to HEAVY to move about. Imagine a whale with legs on land, that's what they were like.

>Also I meant to say the Oort cloud not Kuiper belt.

Yes and, Jupiter's gravity keeps most stray objects from reaching the inner Solar System, don't think they knew about the Oort cloud until the 1950's. By them most theory's had been established.

>the best steam engine cars were better in all technical aspects

except one killer: you could get in your model T and go. you had to wait a long time for a steamer to warm up, especially in cold weather.