The front wheels on my car have much less tread than the back wheels

The front wheels on my car have much less tread than the back wheels.

Is this normal? What causes this?

Also would it make sense to swap my front tires for my back tires and vice versa, so they would wear evenly and I would not have to replace my tires for a longer period of time?

Is this post bait? Or are you serious?

Different loads experienced by the tires.
It's completely normal.
And yes, rotating your tires does make sense.

No
Yes

You should rotate tires every oil change.

Okay.

Since I have much less tread on my fronts, would it be dangerous to swap them to the back?

Will it change the way I drive and how my car handles?

"Yes"
Because you sound like a total fucking normie take your car to the local tire shop and let the dudebro at the counter tell you what you should do.
Just make sure you're talking to a drugged out kid and not the manager. The manager will try only want to sell you new tires.

We have no idea what "much less" means to you

Photos and/or measurements

Why don't you love me senpai?

Can't take pictures right now.
My front tires are still usable and are not dangerous yet.

Just wondering if swapping tires with less tread to the back can somehow be dangerous?

"Yes"

>" "
Who are you quoting?

Because no one likes tripfags

You have asked one of the dumbest questions I have ever seen. Congratulations

You suck,

god damn this board is worse than /g/ for advice

Switching the front and back wheels is basic maintenance, it's called tire rotation.

Okay, thanks.
:)

Also, think of it like this, would you rather the wheels that have the most stopping power and steering be in better shape than the ones that don't do much other than push your car around or in the case of an ff only roll around?

If your car is permanent 4wd then the fronts will wear quicker due to steering a driven wheel.

If it's a front wheel drive it will also wear out quicker for the same reason.

If it's rear wheel drive then you have either alignment or tyre inflation issues.

Recommend rotating tyres every 10,000kms and get an alignment at the same time.

Mercedes recommend keeping the balder tyres on the front of the vehicle if RWD

Good information, thanks.

This guy is retarded, front tires wear faste regardless of drive train.
Also OP don't listen to these retards. Tire rotation is done BEFORE the tires wear out unevenly. You are suppsoed to rotate your tires every 7k miles so they WEAR EVENLY, if they have already worn unevenly you are supposed to keep THE GOOD TIRES on the REAR of the vehicle REGARDLESS of drivetrain. LITERALLY ANY tire manufacturer and legitimate auto technician will back this up. Good tires go on rear.

>if they have already worn unevenly you are supposed to keep THE GOOD TIRES on the REAR of the vehicle REGARDLESS of drivetrain. LITERALLY ANY tire manufacturer and legitimate auto technician will back this up. Good tires go on rear.
Really?

Why is this?

Are you just fucking with me?

This is 100% fucking correct
>mfw I have been a tech and am currently a mechanic.
New tires go on rear
Rotate tires every 7k.
Get an alignment after tire replacement to prevent future uneven wear.

Because it wet conditions you won't lose traction from your rear end sliding out.

so you are saying that understeer is ok?

>FWD, driven and steering wheels with the bad tyres?

To prevent spin out. Literally pulled this out from when i bought tires. All true auto mechanics/enthusiasts know that rear is good tires. Any manufacturer, tire company, master tech will tell you. Just look it up, all tire manufacturer recommend good tires on rear regardless of drivetrain

You haven't worked as a tech anywhere you literally haven no argument. New tires on rear always. Even if it's front wheel drive.

yeah ok.

because fucking brakes don't matter.

nice one tech lord.

Same type pressure? Same suspension? All wheels?

I swear to fucking god there's always this fucking faggot in each tire placement discussion . When you brake you know that the rear wheels brake as well right you fucking sperglord? Why would ALL tire manufacturing companys, auto technicians, service shops, tire shops, dealerships,car manufacturer recommend GOOD tires on the REAR if its so damn bad? You are literally retarded beyond belief. You saying this is wrong is the equivalent of me introducing you to a contraption that I have built and made 100% originally myself. Giving you a step by step tutorial of how i have meant for it to function and you telling me "nuhuh! Thats wrong!" When I'm the creator of it...like dude just fucking google it if you disagree with us. EVERYONE who knows A LOT more than you disagrees with you, hmmmm i wonder who is wrong here?

understeer is very easily controlled, even during panic situations

Spin outs? way worse than having a couple dozen feet of extra braking distance

This applies to all drivetrains

not a tech, this is just coming from experience

you know that there is such as thing as a proportioning valve the bias's braking to the front speglord?

You know in a FWD car, the driven, steering and main braking is through the front?

You ever heard of disc brakes on the front and drums on the back? Do you think there is a reason for the caliper system being employed on the front?

most traction to the driven wheels is good for going, not for stopping as your tyres are your first line of contact, and are biased to the front.

as a "tech" you should be thinking about the safety of the vehicle you are working on, not the yee haw go go of the driven wheels.

not the guy you're replying to, but this post made my eyes bleed.
please check for some sense of grammar and repost

You are literally fucking retarded. And trying to talk any sense into you will be completely fucking moot, therfore i am done even attempting to try to even educate you one bit. Please continue mounting your good tires on the front of your vehicle. I slightly hope one day you'll spin out and get injured in a collision or have your vehicle be a total loss and you have to deal with your insurance trying to weazel out of paying because they also know that good tires belong on the rear. Maybe then you'll say "hey, maybe all those WAY MORE EXPERIENCED AND QUALIFIED (not me, literally everyone ) people that told me i was wrong, were right "

Oh who am i kidding even the your ignorant ass will continue to believe what you want, not what is right.

In Australia, the tyre stores all argue that new tyres go on the front.

It's breddy hard to convince them otherwise and you have to pull the "it's my fucking car mate" line and they agree to do it.

This is why all I said on the subject is "yes".
Nobody thinks about the motives behind better tires on the rear.
If you know what you're doing there is literally nothing wrong with putting better tires on the front of the car than the rear.

Correct answers right here. You'd think it would be common sense. Think about it, wouldn't it be easier to control tires that can turn left and right? Or tires that are in a fixed position?

>good tires go on the rear.

Umm, no.
You're an idiot.

Best tires go to the front for steering control.
Period.

>rear wheels brake as well.
Ya and 70% of braking is done by the front because of weight transfer.

I seriously think these guys are trolls.

Massivefuckingmistakesweremade.jpg

I'm a tech and every time a car comes in for inspection or oil change we're supposed to measure and rotate the tires accordingly. We're always told the better tires with deeper tread should go on the front and the balder tires go on the rear. All the cars we service are AWD or FWD, why is this how we're supposed to do it if it's wrong? To make more money? I just assumed the front tires get more scrub when turning so they wear down and that it makers sense to put deeper tread tires at the front.

Yea It's normal because you turn on you're front wheels, which grinds the tread off, you can even hear it, its that grindy concrete noise you're tires make when you turn, and yes swapping you're front and back tires is the normal way to handle that, it's called a tire rotation and any tire place does it if you don't want to do it yourself :D

That's not necessarily true, there is still more braking force in the rear tires and the rear brakes usually apply quicker than the front.

Where do you work that makes you do that bullshit?
You are retarded.

For an Acura dealership but I always assumed every other place does it too. I mean obviously tire rotations are just an easy source of income for the dealership but I still figured it was sensible. I know that Mercedes and other RWD luxury brands recommend the better tire on the rear though.

Test

Well, that works

I was starting to wonder what was up

I have worked at Honda last year and everytime I replaced tires they still went on the rear. People are too stuck in "if it's fwd new tires on front of its rwd new tires on rear" really annoying . Like I stated in one of my last posts new tires on rear prevents your tail end from sliding out and losing traction. Even if the car is fwd

It messes up sometimes and bans random people for a hour or longer. Then it goes away

So the idea is that its better to manage the understeer from having shit front tires than the oversteer from having shit tires on the back? I guess that makes sense, although I just rotated my tires on my FWD shitbox so oh well.

Worked at a mitsu dealer for years.

If a customer only buys tires in pairs the BRAND new tires go up front. Since most of the line-up is FWD or FWD-bias then they wear a shit ton faster than the rear. The only time we change that was "well you need tires soon but they'll last you until next oil change" then we'd put the better tires in the rear. Especially if the next oil change will occur in the winter.

For normies, especially in FWD cars with traction control, understeer is favourable to oversteer.

pic unrelated

I forgot to mention in wet conditions. But yeah you can manage understeer

Stupid questions thread?

So, similar to OP, I drive a FWD car. I recently started to notice noise coming from my front tires, so I got them rotated. But since the rotation, the noise has gotten much worse.

I believe a wheel bearing is shot, my dad believes I need new tires, and my uncle believes the noise will go away after the existing tires distribute wear more evenly.

Who is right?

You're whee baring is bad, repace it

Could be a number of stuff

>when does the noise occur
Does it occur at a certain speed, does it increase with speed?
>does it get louder/less loud when the wheels are turned?
>when did it start
>what car exactly

Noise started a month ago. I looked at my tires and front tires will probably need replacing by the end of this year, but got them rotated just because it was time.
Noise occurs whenever car is above 10-15mph.
Noise is consistent regardless of whether I'm turning, braking or whatever.

2015 Elantra btw.

What would you describe the noise as?

Knocking? Screeching? Metal on metal?

Continuous knocking? but also metal on metal at the same time.

Can also feel slight friction in the gas pedal.

That does sound like a bearing about to go, or the worlds worst CV-joint although its highly unlikely

I alread tolya bruv is a fukin baring you stipid wanka

oi juss cas yo'r the bosh mekaneek aot here it doss not mean 'at yo'r aloued to gao awl didgeridoo an' be a cunt

But i already tol the fukin wanka it was a bad barin for christ! Hed lsiten to me if he kno was gud for him, that cheeky cunt.

awroit foine, I gess y'or roight enn'all. Naow, if yu'll eggscuse me a th'nk a kenn hear an abo' sniffin ma guzzoline autsoide boi da shed

Every time you brake the front wheel will experience a force between 300-1000lbs greater than what they experience normally, the exact force depends on the dimensions of the car and how hard you brake, but it is usually between 300-1000lbs for any vehicle you are likely to see on the road.

Front wheels are also twisting left and right constantly when you turn.

If you have a FWD vehicle you are also constantly applying a pushing force on them.

>what causes this?
Steering

>is this normal?
Yes

>should i swap tyres?
Yes

>have 305s in the back
>265s in the front
>babydick tire fags tell me rotate

Enjoy stress on your suspension and drive train you dumbass

Balance tires or take it back the dealership first . I'm assuming you still have some kind of warranty

>having a car that is so bitch made you can somehow grip with tires less than 285s

what did you post o.o

(summarise safely pls)

>New tires go on rear

Stop spouting this meme. That's an industry standard created for normie drivers to minimize the chance they experience oversteer, since most people have no fucking clue what to do in that situation. Any competent driver should be putting their better tires up front to maximize grip for the steering wheels.

>get a load of this guy

>implying he's not correct

It's literally 100% true. Your average commuter driver isn't gonna have a clue what to do in an oversteer situation. For these people, it's safer to promote understeer as much as possible because most of the crash safety on modern cars revolves around head-on collisions.

>it's just a meme guys

I am correct you shill. It's not 2001 dumb fuck it's 2016. Once again another Normie who has no job experience related to Veeky Forums what so ever

>shill

don't know what that word means, do you? It's ok though, most mechanics are illiterate, so your credibility has actually increased marginally.

You're stupid.

You're a boomer that believe in the old days
You are just a fucking clown

Are you legit retarded?

You want more tread on the rears.

You need an alignment - if the rears are wearing on either the inside or outside, it's a camber issue. If they're wearing evenly, you have too much toe.

Just so you know, factory specs are not 0 degrees toe 0 degrees camber.
Uneven wear is normal on most cars.

>uneven treadwear is normal

no.

If your car is aligned properly and you rotate your tires, you won't see uneven wear.

My friend at work that works on cars said that it's best to put them in the front if you have a FWD vehicle.

I have a FWD car, so I'm going to put them on the front.

I have no clue what the original ban was for, but rule 9 is "Ban evasion". I'm not the one who'd been posting, and being on a 4G-network I don't know how IP-adresses work on these.

So either its just an IP that was banned and that I got on random through the 4G, or someone in the vicinity of where I was at that point is a /pol/ack

The entire building where I work uses the same IP address for the wifi which they also offer free for passengers. Someone posted CP and now the entire building is permabanned :( WTF am I supposed to do at work if I can't shitpost? WORK???

If completely flat tread wear was normal you wouldn't need to cross your tires to the other side when you do a rotation.

>You suck,
>god damn this board is worse than /g/ for advice

NO, you mixed multiple questions into your post. One has a yes answer and the other has a no answer. On top of that, your question is already answered by the widely known advice by everyone that tires should be rotated on cars.

Thus, your question shows that you the poster is basically ignoring that tires should be rotated. It's like you asked a question of "my gasoline tank is getting empty, so should I fill it up?"

The advice that tires should be rotated directly addresses your question. As to safe, yes and no. You have not specified what "safe" means to you as that is a gigantic word full of huge variations, perceptions, and operational conditions. We cannot read your mind as to what you consider "safe" to use. That's because some economy tires change their personality when they get to the 50% mark and some of their shallower shoulder sipes have disappeared. We have no idea what tires you use such as high end tires, regular A/S, summer tires, or economy chinese tires.

Many independent tire places have free tire rotations if you bought the tires from them and have the receipt with the free rotation warranty on it. At Les Schwab and Sam's Club they have free rotations. My chevrolet stealership charges to rotate.

Yeah if it was all wheel drive but even all wheel drive vehicles need rotations you cum dump

Check that in th owners manual.
My truck says you should switch tires every 10.000 km in a weird but kinda sensible pattern, like front left goes to rear right to wear the side where there is more thread (Bcos positive camber yo)

Tl;Dr check your owners manual, or do it as simple as a google search