/pog/ - Porsche General

It's been way too fucking long edition

Welcome to the /pog/, the place to post all things about your current, future, or past Porsche.

"Halp! what used Porsche can I afford?
(Prices are for sorted cars)
>Air Cooled 911?
$20K+ SC
$30k+ 3.2 Carrera
$30k+ 964
$50k+ 993

>Water Cooled 911?
$20k+ 996
$30+ 997
$60k+ 991

>Boxster
$7k+ 986
$14k+ 986 S
$20k+ 987 (+$2-5k for Cayman)
$25k+ 987 S (+$2-5k for Cayman)

Based 944
>$5000 N/A
>$10,000 Tarbo
*Disclaimer: You can buy a 944 for under a grand, but the overwhelming consensus in the community is that sorted cars cost ~$5k... so if you buy that car for under a grand when you're done it'll be around or over $5k. YMMV.

>928
$8k+

>968
$12k+

Need advice on a purchase, or tips while you're balls deep in your engine bay? Post em here bb.

Be sure to check out Rennlist, Pelican Parts, Suncoast Porsche, Pedro's Garage, 944online and Clarkes-Garage. (Last two are 944 Specific)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.porsche.com/filestore/download/usa/none/classic-galleryanddownloads-tyreapproval-summertyres/default/a213e665-33a4-11e6-9225-0019999cd470/List-of-summer-tyres-for-vintage-cars-and-recent-classics.pdf
files.porsche.com/filestore/download/usa/none/classic-galleryanddownloads-tyreapproval-wintertyres/default/c0ce35bc-5d59-11e6-873a-0019999cd470/List-of-winter-tires-for-vintage-cars-and-recent-classics.pdf
porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/originalpartscatalogue/
porsche.com/germany/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/originalpartscatalogue/default.ashx
classicshop.porsche.com/pcos-usa/
porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/historicaldocuments/
youtube.com/watch?v=_jPaYnaKVDk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Want to get an early N/A watercooled 911/Boxster but are afraid of the infamous IMS issue? Well I'm gonna try to change your mind

>What is an IMS
The intermediate shaft has been present on Porsche flat 6 engines ever since the original air cooled 911 all the way up to the 9x7.1 generation 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters
It's used to indirectly drive the camshafts and is in charge of engine timing

>What goes wrong?
The IMS itself is perfectly fine, the problem was when Porsche switched to watercooled engines they needed a bearing on the flywheel side of the engine, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to use a sealed bearing with a lifetime grease
What happens over time to a small handful of these bearings is that the grease dries out and it fails, causing the IMS to throw the timing out of sync and grenade the entire engine in seconds
The bearing on the opposite side is lubricated by engine oil and has never been known to fail

>How often to these fail?
Engines from '97-'99 use a robust dual row bearing that has a failure rate of less than 1%, it's the engines made from '00-'04 that use a weak single row bearing that has a failure rate as high as 10%
But don't worry just yet, general consensus is that if the bearing in your car is faulty it would have failed before 40k miles
In addition the best way to keep it healthy is to actually drive your car like a Porsche should be driven; low mileage garage queens are more prone to failure

>How much would this cost me to repair?
If you have a higher mileage car I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your car has a dual row bearing
Fixes include:
>replacing the bearing with a new OEM part - $100
>IMS Guardian - $400
>replacing the bearing with an aftermarket ceramic bearing - $600
>removing the seal and adding a flange that directly feels engine oil to the bearing - $800
The last option is the only true way to fix the problem, but I personally don't feel any of this is necessary

Hope this clears up some misconception

Good to see the best thread on Veeky Forums return.

I like these threads. Dont want a porsche but love seeing all the info layed out

Seconding this.

>$30+ 997
>$60k+ 991

Tfw 997.1 that did cost 62k€ last year. Dumb car prices in this shithole.

Well done. I was planning on posting this later tonight but oh well. I had figured we needed a summer break.

comfy related

That pic is still my proudest work.

it's perfect

Update the op pic, im on the bottom right

How much did you get your 944, what state are you in and what is it like owning one

*how much did you pay for your 944

I'm still here, will make an informative post shortly. Got some flush mounted LED clear side markers since the last thread.

$2,500, I'm in Pennsylvania but I bought it in New Jersey, and it's a pile of shit. But it's a cool pile of shit that says "PORSCHE" in big letters on the back so it's alright. I've had brake lines snap, as well as a million stupid electrical issues, and i feel like it lacks power sometimes. taking it to a track day at pocono speedway on thursday, will report back after.

just give it to Nakai-san and call it a day famalam

he'll unfuck your shit up real quick

hm $2500 not bad. You plan on DDing in the Winter?

Ive been thinking about picking up a 944 but I just wanted to talk to other 944 owners before even considering it.

i picked it up in January and already dd'd it in the snow. With winter tires there's no issues. Without winter tires, pepper your angus before you step inside.

Hopefully I'll get my Boxster running soon.
Managed to change out the spark plugs and tubes and only have the air/oil separator and intake left to be replaced.

Cleaned out the throttle body pretty good as well, just need to pick up a new gasket for the idle control valve

what the fuck /pog/

where did you go

im gonna get a speed yellow 986 soon w hardtop soon, and im fucking hyped about it

any recommended mods?

First thing i do when i get it is replace the ims bearing and clutch so i can drive it worry free, then add aux to the becker stereo.

After that i have no idea what one can do with these cars besides cosmetic things, coilovers and braided brake/ clutch lines

Are the 996 cheapest simply because they are oldest of the non air cooled, or is there another issue dragging prices down?

IMS bearings and fried egg headlights, and purists don't like them because not aircooled. They're still good cars and share a lot with the 997.

will do!

>dd'ing

you got balls man. I love my 44 but i resigned it to track and weekend duty cuz im too scared to rely on it for anything. That being said it's been running like a raped ape since the mechanical work was finished in january.

we were on holiday :^)

test

>Desnorkled intake
>pedro's hi Flo intake
>pedro's sport exhaust

What's up /pog/!

Owner of a 2000, 996 with 109k miles. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about owning a old Porsche.

did you get the ims bearing done

trying to decide if this is better than a c5 interior. they both are so gross

Yes, I have LN Engineering retrofit. The vehicle had no signs of IMS issues before changing, it was changed at 80k miles with the clutch

Yeah I am not a fan of the interior, still looks dated for the year it was released.

I have seen other 996s interiors that were even more dated looking.

I did have a new cayenne as a courtesy vehicle while mine was in maintence, this is what the interior looked like

Like the gauges

yeah the interiors are pretty weak unless way optioned out. S's are a bit better. Both the c5 and the 996 are good value for sure.

I will say, visibility is much MUCH better in the 911, and the interior generally feels more spacious. One's not necessarily better than the other, go test drive each and see which you prefer.

Ayyyyyyyyy, welcome back /pog/

News on my $800 944:

>Head is now removed

Now i just gotta clean everything and put on the replacement gaskets

>Stripping the interior

Shitty carpet < a nice painted interior. Also helps with locating electrical wires/faults.

>new seats?

Passenger side seat and bracket were rusted to shit. Thinking about getting some nice chinese knockoff recaros for ~$200/pair, but i need to save up for new tires for my frs DD.
One of these days ill drive you again qt

>not daily driving the $800 Porsche

Dunno if you like convertibles, but I hate them so I'll be removing the soft top mechanism and installing my hard top permanently

I was a bit slow in posting, but here's a bit of useful information especially for you classic Porsche owners.

Tires:

Classic model summer tire recommendations:
files.porsche.com/filestore/download/usa/none/classic-galleryanddownloads-tyreapproval-summertyres/default/a213e665-33a4-11e6-9225-0019999cd470/List-of-summer-tyres-for-vintage-cars-and-recent-classics.pdf

Classic model winter tire recommendations:
files.porsche.com/filestore/download/usa/none/classic-galleryanddownloads-tyreapproval-wintertyres/default/c0ce35bc-5d59-11e6-873a-0019999cd470/List-of-winter-tires-for-vintage-cars-and-recent-classics.pdf

Parts:

Parts catalogs for all classic models with diagrams, descriptions and part numbers:
porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/originalpartscatalogue/

German version of the Parts Catalog site with a price search tool:
porsche.com/germany/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/originalpartscatalogue/default.ashx

Porsche classic shop:
classicshop.porsche.com/pcos-usa/

Information:

Porsche historical documents:
porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/historicaldocuments/

fantastic

Good to hear yours is running well... I had a $3,000 budget for a beater so I could go to work, and when I saw "$2500 Porsche" on craigslist I decided to play this little lottery. I didn't even know much about it besides what I've seen on top gear. (youtube.com/watch?v=_jPaYnaKVDk ) I've been winning so far, only had 3 days in which I couldn't drive it.

Failed air/oil separator = oil in the intake plenum

Ahh so were you getting a little puff of smoke on startup?

As long as you stay on top of maintenance and diy you should be fine. There's boatloads of info on the web about most jobs

>a little puff of smoke on start up
Nah senpai, that's normal Porsche flat 6 operation

We're talking huge clouds of smoke that reduced highway visibility to zero for the poor souls behind me on a cloudless, sunny day

Checked

Ever since I played NFS:High Stakes as a kid I've wanted a Porsche 911. It just seems so far out of reach.

10k since March, no issues. Car has 150k total.

Damn you really drove that thing

Put some period correct wheels on, you're making yourself look like a poorfag.

>period correct
>wheels are probably a year or 2 newer than the car at most

its not. esp if youre ok with getting an ugly one.

can be had for 10k-15k.

pic unrelated

The stock wheels look like shit, the lobster claw from the 997 are so much better. Plus it's a 996, it's a poorfag car by default.

Some slight tweaking and some insulation and I have kickass intake noises for dirt cheap

I'm glad to hear that. I've been chasing that puff on startup on a 997.1 S.

That happens when you shut the cars engine off when it's cold, or when you park on an incline, or when you let the car sit for a long time

A little bit of oil from the oil jets on the sides of the cylinders collects in them

I wish I could afford those wheels

bump

Either I'm gonna die or the car's gonna die today...

fuggin sweet, let us know. don't be kil.

It looks so depressed and sad.
Needs a "wa-why are you doing this to me?" caption

>tfw 356 senpai will never return

I have a budget of ~50k for my next car. Currently a grad student in South Florida, this will be my only vehicle for some time. What Porsche do you guys think would be best for me? I want something later model so a used Cayman or 997 post-refresh were the 2 that I was looking at.

Also what would maintenance costs on a 2010 997 be like for the next 5 or so years?

Running costs shouldn't be worse than your typical mid range German luxury car, probably even better since Porsches are often rated 2nd just under Lexus for long term reliability

But that doesn't mean you should skimp out on scheduled maintenance

Ive heard a lot about the famed Porsche reliability, but I'd have to factor in the cost of the actual scheduled visits if I was to go the Porsche route since my other option (4 series) comes with 4 years free maintenance

4 years free maintenance is really nice but you have to remember that a 4 series will depreciate much faster than a 911

Bump

Thank God I found this thread!
I'm the owner of the porsche_911_pics Instagram page btw and I encourage you all classic Porsche enthusiast to visit it. I'd like to recieve submissions with stories about your cars and so.

>porsche_911_pics
so youre one of those people that run one of THOSE instagrams.

chill with the hashtags man and stick to posting pictures if you can give credit to the photographer.

thats my only

YOUR ONLY WHAT, user!?

JUST

DO

DRUGS

Throwback

noice

I'm headed to the IMSA race at VIR, dad's taking his 911 to the porscheplatz so i should get some good pics. Pretty bummed there will only be one RSR racing, but at least gt3 supercup will be there >:)

ah, back when it was debadged and a guy confused it for a celica...

How much should I pay for a 2014/2015 Cayman S CPO? All the prices around me seem to be 60-65K and all under 10k miles.

>tfw you will never own a Porsche 959