Classic car question, pic related is a typical classic car

Classic car question, pic related is a typical classic car.
it has smaller wheels. that means most desirable tires, such as say pilot super sports, are not made in small wheel sizes.

what do owners do? run some generic chinese garbage all season tire that just happens to fit?
have a spare set of wheels that can fit modern rubber, and ruin the look of the car?

what do you think is acceptable, because some all season garbage would be such a sad feeling whenever i looked at my ride.

Other urls found in this thread:

design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=3671
youtube.com/watch?v=FpLpBVlERu4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are specialty tire shops like coker tire that specifically make tires in most every size and design for classic vehicles though they are rather expensive.

i thought they just made copes of old bias ply tires. they made good stuff too?

> Tracking a classic

You know, Old cars aren't limited to smaller rim sizes. Alot of them ran 14" rims, You can easily stick on 15" rims and get alot more options in way of tires.

there isn't exactly a lot in 15 either. but i agree

>putting larger than stock wheels on a classic car
>calling wheels rims
you degenerate nigger

>mfw all those classic muscle cars running fuckmassive chrome wheels and ultra low profile tires

What if you just want better rubber?
I agree that it looks fucking terrible but it's not as though you've chopped the roof or done something equally irreversible.

Coker makes radial and bias ply tires. You've gotta know what you can use on your vehicle though. However,S Coker is normally stupid good about making sure you put the right tires on your car.

you think YOU have a problem? Try getting anything decent for one of these.

I basically have three options - all blackwalls too... T_T

You don't need ultra grippy tires unless you're racing. Half the fun of old cars is that they have good chassis feel so that it's genuinely enjoyable to slide it out a bit

You can still get decent tyres in small sizes.
design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=3671
Reproduction period tires look better tho.

at least you dont have TRX tires
they had special wheels

putting sticky rubber on classic cars is mostly pointless unless you also upgrade bushings, various suspension components etc.
those cars are mostly just not made to take that amount of grip.

>Veeky Forums.co.uk

no

You don't want modern style tyres on a classic. The whole car is designed around the tyres available in period, so the suspension is set up around the chassis flex and grip level of that time. That's why older sports cars roll so much since soft suspension = grip.

You stick modern style tyres on a classic car and suddenly the suspension that was set up with a certain level of expected slip suddenly has to deal with a lot more tyre grip. The result is less control as the suspension bounces around more and more wear and tear as the chassis flexes more, eventually you end up going slower.

TCs never had whitewalls

i dont think old cars like a 911 or that 356 had soft suspension at all. did you drive one?

I've driven a number of older sports cars.

they have fairly soft suspension, especially when considered alongside modern cars. I guess to illustrate my point I can show you just how far suspension set up has come along since the 90s, and I guess you yourself are smart enough to be able to extrapolate that to go even further back.

youtube.com/watch?v=FpLpBVlERu4

Check out 11:20 in this video

Notice how the 964, which by all accounts is a fairly modern car is rolling a lot more than you'd see in a newer car, and is generally using a lot more suspension travel, with more dips and bumps (the later tests are fairly interesting too)

If a sports car had that kind of suspension today we would consider it fairly soft, the 964 is an extremely well set up car, believe me, I've been lucky to drive one, but the juddery stiffness that's present in modern sports cars is not present.

If you consider that this car was the height of technology and performance with 90s tyre technology using fairly modern sizing (which in structure is very close to what we have today) then you can see how a much older car with thinner, bias ply tyres would be significantly different.