I just purchased a brand new F-150 with the 5...

I just purchased a brand new F-150 with the 5.0 v8 (no ECOBOOST) also with 4x4 and tow/haul with electronic locking rear end.

What is the correct break in procedure? It will be a while before I do any hauling but I would like to go on a little road trip this weekend.

It has about 80 miles on it now and the computer is saying 9mpg... Is this some kind of fluke? The dealer gave it to me with a full tank which I sort of wish didn't happen, I'd rather select my own fuel for it.

tl;dr new truck, how to break it in?

Drive it off a cliff and use the insurance money to buy one with EcoBoost

Just start towing. Your truck already has an oil cooler and tranny fluid cooler included.

there is no break in period needed. modern assembly techniques means that engine and trans are ready to go...drive it!

this desu famalam

Yep, but get the It's better in every way. Especially towing mpg's

drive it like you normally would. just don't set the cruise and keep it at the same RPM for extended periods of time for the first thousand miles or so

also the 5 liter is worse in every way so have fun with that

>It has about 80 miles on it now and the computer is saying 9mpg... Is this some kind of fluke?
The average is 9?

If so someone probably took it for a joyride. That'd give it an abnormally low average. Probably during test drives.

>tl;dr new truck, how to break it in?
Drive it like you stole it. Large throttle inputs, constantly changing speeds, keeping it working.

Wtf is that a benis

It had 19 when I took it off the lot.... The odometer engine hours thing said 2 or 3 hours total so I think they left it idling for a while? I'm not sure.

I want a reliable v8 American motor not something with the high likelyhood that not one but two turbos might fail at some point taking the engine down with them.

if you wanted a reliable V8 you should have gotten a Chevy. the 5.0L truck engine is a piece of shit. have fun with your valvetrain noise and egg-shaped cylinders.

pretty sure this is covered in the owner's manual. If not just ask the fucking dealership

Do it however you think it tickles your nostalgia best. Modern engines don't actually need to be broken in. Is the first oil change scheduled at less than 1000 miles? No? Then there's no need to do anything out of the ordinary to break it in. A lot of manufacturers put their engines on dynos and run them at the rev limit for a while before putting them in a car. And you want to drive around at low RPMs for thousands of miles.

Just drive it normally. For the first few hundred miles, just don't floor it to be safe. Also the mpgs will get better as all the components break in with each other.

It is, says to take it easy and avoid highway trips for the first 1k miles.

Don't let it sit at constant rpm and you'll be ok

Read the actual manual you fucking dense twat

Just bought a new 2017 wrx in July. Had it up to 120 on the way home from the dealership.

"Breaking in" a new car is an old meme. Only thing you may want to do is change the oil before it's recommended.

Sounds like you've got your question answered and you're looking for the answer you want so here you go.

Just fuckin drive it. It's under warranty.

Break in? No such thing. I got a fiesta with 1 mile on it, boiled one tire on the way off the lot. Haven't made a single drive in 5 months where I wasn't pegging redline. 18,000 miles in 5 months and no issues yet. Will see what the oil looks like this weekend when I do my first change.

>Ford
>F150
>No Ecoboost
How many times can one fuck up with just a single purchase?

You may have misquoted, champ.

That engine is reliable its based off the 4.6l and that was bullet proof it just has less power than the ecoboost

> first oil change after 18k
I bet you redline cold engines as well

I do. But only on cars I don't give a shit about. Such as this fiesta.

>not being nice to all vehicles

You should get off this board

Cars were meant to be driven, not pampered. Not running it hard is equivalent to keeping a thoroughbred in a stall, and only letting it out to slowly walk through the front yard. People putting around never testing the limits are wasting their car, and my time.

What the Fuck is up with the Ecoboost posting? Are you fags serious that it's the only way to go or are you just memeing? Isn't ecoboost just Ford's name for a turbo?

It's Ford's name for the Mazda MZI/MZR engines. They're really good.

>four cylinder engines
Come on now

use it, don't abuse it

you know what i mean, treating it a bit easier will make it last longer, i don't need to explain that.

unless you're a retard and that can't be fixed.

I know how to rebuild my own shit, so abuse means nothing. If I blow it up I'll fix it.

Good choice OP, the 5.0 is solid as fuck and the route I'd go if I were buying a new truck.

Honestly just drive it like you regularly would. There's a thousand different opinions on how to """properly""" break a new vehicle in.

Also mpg wise don't be expecting anything great. Mid teens is average. What rear gears does it have?

Personally i would do some gentle city driving, then maybe beat on it a few times at wot. But nothing specific should be needed, just some variations for the first few drives.

OP here. Since starting this thread I've read the manual. Freeways are unavoidable for me but I have been trying to vary the rpms... Basically going between 55 and 70 as I am able to. Took a nice drive on empty streets tonight, easy stop and go.

The rear end is 3.55. The mpg is steadily climbing and I reset one of the trip computers and the new one says 19.x mpg.

Put some premium in to top off the tank while it was at 3/4, not sure what the dealer might have put in it.

>tfw you pump a quarter tank and the thing drinks up 9 gallons

I think I'm gonna love this truck.