19, Picking up a new Indian Scout Sixty this Saturday. Fist time with an engine between my legs...

19, Picking up a new Indian Scout Sixty this Saturday. Fist time with an engine between my legs. Diving in head first (Save for the fact that my car is manual)

What should I expect from this motorcycle?/ the motorcycle life?

Get a good insurance policy for when you crash.

Let me know how it is. The new Indian's excite me in a way that Veeky Forums's favorite sportbikes don't, and I can't stand harleys.

You should expect good times.

Take the MSF course (or equivalent 'I've never touched a bike before send help' beginner course) before you go riding and for the love of god buy (and WEAR) decent gear.

Full face helmet, full body coverage (leather or textile, take your pick) and a decent pair of full length boots could mean the difference between friction burn and becoming a smear of human tomato paste on the news.

Above all else, take it easy.

Fuck dude don't say that.

>first bike
>buying new
You should get a beater for 1.5-2k.

I'm not a fan of going fast because "fast hhuehuehue" sure I like speed, but I'm not an adrenaline junkie; if i wanted that I'd have bought a crotch rocket.

I'm buying a Full face helmet and already have leathers and boots.

My first and still only car is manual and I'm very much familiar with cars and the mechanics.

Mostly I'm worried about the no ABS.

>Indian scout
Post results.
I've always liked how Indians looked (just a bike, no fancy bangles) but I've never found anyone who liked them other than my pops.

Unfortunately, I was set on the Scout and since its a new motorcycle. all used ones are the same price. Why get a beater for the same price? I also have a good job and the bike + insurance take up 1/5 of my net monthly income.

>no abs
Is literally almost never a problem.
My car hasn't had abs for 6 years and I've yet to encounter a situation where I actually would've needed it.

You have zero experience on a bike and you're getting a brand new one, what do you think will happen?

>scout sixty
A little down on power, but I was impressed with the handling. I compared it straight up to an 883 sportster and the scout was both faster and more agile

Will do

>hurf furf ur gna crash
Not everybody is a retard

My car has no abs and I have my mishaps and its scary AF. Just wondering if skidding is still a problem on bikes.

Pretending you won't crash isn't going to help when you do.
Come on man, we're all super pro tier drivers but the problem is everyone else who isn't.

ABS for new riders isn't a good thing imo, the chances of you using it as a crux for bad technique is high.

Practice good braking technique (i.e. set up and squeeze, not yank on it wily nilly) and emergency braking from a variety of speeds semi-regularly and you'll be fine.

I never had ABS when I started out and I'm fine, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be.

Hell you should be practicing low speed manuevering a lot when you start out too because cruisers are heavy and have a lower centre of gravity than other bikes. Plus it's a good skill to have, makes everything easier in the long run.

I always cringe a little when I see people who can't into low speed stuff.

Researching the 883 was actually how I found the scout.

Definitely, Only wreck I've ever been was a dumbass who locked his Harley's brakes and ended up in the bed of my truck.
He was going 60 down a residential street.
I still laugh at his wife when I drive by.

Did he died?

If he crashes, then the gear will save him. But he might not, and he'll probably have insurance, so he'd be better off getting the most comfortable bike for him.
Consider the normal scout, depending on how much highway you ride. 883 is shit though.

Nah, he was still in a wheelchair last I checked. This happened like 2 years ago.

Well I plan on making it more of a Bobber style eventually, so the extra money I'd have to lay down for a marginally better engine id rather put into the inevitably coming EXPENSIVE AF exhaust.

Hey guys
Also stop by /dbt/ if you get one

Tell me how it is OP, I've been looking at getting one myself

There are 2 types of riders. Those that have dumped a bike. And those that will.
You can't account for the asshole next to you all the time

I disagree. ABS isn't autobrake. All it does is keep the wheels from locking up in extreme braking. You can still learn proper braking techniques with ABS.

I never said that you couldn't, just that some riders will rely on it as a backup and never learn to brake properly because they know the bike will save their ass.

Usually, ABS only activates when they are going to lock up. Skill and technique help you stay out of that zone, it's usually a point of no return if you're there already, especially when panic is in play. Otherwise, it's braking as usual.