Did the Celts do anything significant other than be repeatedly defeated?

Did the Celts do anything significant other than be repeatedly defeated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zSLsTf2TH-Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(You)
(You)

They kidnapped St. Patrick, thus justifying a millennia of British atrocities committed in self-defense

>Celts
>In Italy

REEEEEEEEEEE! FUCKING CELTS STAY AWAY FROM MY ROME!

They also got enslaved and raped

Chain mail

You realize they got all that land by conquest, right?

They somehow managed to survive.

Knots, OP.

left their urheimat, became Latins, conquered entire world & invented civilization of western Europe

They were the world champions in cuckoldry for hundreds of years.

They invented the most versatile and cost-effective armor of classical antiquity.

Every culture exposed to mail armor rapidly adopted it. It was uniquely adapted to defending the soldier against the kind of lacerating/puncture wounds which contemporary medicine struggled to prevent from getting infected.

checked

Fuck potatonegroes

Immortalized the words vae victis after sacking rome.

WE

Created the carnyx the most interesting musical instrument ever
youtu.be/zSLsTf2TH-Y

great video

They were very good ironworkers.

Excellent ironworkers
Varied and skilled cart.and transport - much of the Latin names for wagons come from celtic.
Good farmers
Kickass sword designs.
Invented soap.
Many of the religious aspects of Christianity came from the celtic world such as the trinity.
Excellent story telling tradition and myth, writers like Livy were from the pacified celtic areas

>France
>England
>Austria-Hungary
seems like they set up the basis for the most relevant countries in europe
coincidence ? i think not

>imagine living before real music

>invented soap
Interesting, source?

>Chain mail
>They invented the most versatile and cost-effective armor of classical antiquity.
>They were very good ironworkers.
>Excellent ironworkers
>Kickass sword designs.

That's the long and short of it. Metallurgy was the height of their accomplishment

Wow Veeky Forums you suck.

Read a fucking book or something.

This.

U152 migrated into Italy 1200bc from the exact centre of the original Hallstatt culture.

>inb4 Hallstatt isn't Celtic

Yeah no it isn't celtic, Italic and Celtic aren't the same thing.

But is true that the Urnfield culture, which was Indo European is responsible for the diffusion of Italic in Italy, they're also one of the cause of the sea people rise, both in Italy and elsewhere.

So why aren't the Urnfield culture considered Celtic? We are talking 1200BC Europe here. They're the same genetic background and practiced very simar customs. U152 did migrate into Italy and are considered the "Italo-Celtic" branch of R1b.

>So why aren't the Urnfield culture considered Celtic?
Why should it? Celts and Italics succeeded Urnfield culture as separate branches. Might as well say that the brits are germans (not germanics, germans) because of the anglosaxon migration.

Is it true that celts and germanics are a different race?

>say that the brits are germans
They would be more akin to Danes, that is if they didn't interbreed with the native inhabitants of the British Isles.

Considering that Cisalpine Gaul was in Northern Italy and was inhabited by Celts and was known to have been since the 13th century BC then you can't deny that the Celts have had a profound effect on the Romans by contributing to their culture and genetics most importantly. In 49bc Cisalpine Gaul was given full Roman citizenship, surely they deserve some credit for the success of the Romans.

> by contributing to their culture and genetics

Those were Italics, not Celtics.

North Italy was inhabited both by Celtics and Italics.

Central Italy by Etruscans (Pre-Indo European speakers) and Italics.

Then why would Romans refer to the region as Cisalpine Gaul if they weren't Celtic? What makes them Celtic or Italic? Is it their language, culture, customs? Or their genetics?

>hen why would Romans refer to the region as Cisalpine Gaul if they weren't Celtic?

Hum, Cisalpin Gaul didn't encompass all of Italy, Veneti were Italic, Rhaeti were Etruscan speakers, It's not known if Ligurian was Italic or Celtic.

>Is it their language, culture, customs?
This. "Celtic" is an ethnic family, not a genetic marker.

>Rhaeti were Etruscan speakers
They were pre IE language, it's by no means certain a relation with etruscans.

Celts and Italics are closely related people even Julius Caesar noted that languages are similar. Sometimes these languages are grouped into Italo-Celtic branch of Indo-European languages.

Thank you for this post, I found out I'm only 40 minutes drive from this museum and plan to see it soon

You can see that Celts were a minority in Pre Roman Italy, pic related

Looks to me they had the largest diffusion in all of Italy apart from the Italics themselves.

Not really Etruscan was more wide spread before Romans destroyed Veio and subjugated them.

Also you said that

> In 49bc Cisalpine Gaul was given full Roman citizenship, surely they deserve some credit for the success of the Romans.

What the fuck has this to do with anything?

Romans were already succesful by 49 bc.

It was Italics who formed Rome, not Celtics, and they were influenced by Etruscans, ruled by Etruscans most likely for centuries, not by Celtics.

Celtics were just given citizenship, after the rest of all the other modern day Italian regions, even after Sicilians and Sardinians I think, and they are normally not accounted for the success of the Romans, so I don't see why Padanian Celts should be.

>It was Italics who formed Rome, not Celtics, and they were influenced by Etruscans, ruled by Etruscans most likely for centuries, not by Celtics.
You know, although the latin did come almost completely under etruscan control before Rome's ascent, the same cannot be said for the rest of the italics. The etruscans controlled parts of Campania and the western padanian plain, but Veneti, Piceni, Samnites, etc were not under etruscan rule, tho they were certainly culturally influenced by them.

>What the fuck has this to do with anything?
It means that the Celts had been intermixing with Italics for years and were incorporated into their society as actual citizens, how many famous people came out of that area? I wouldn't be surprised if a few Roman emperors had a substantial amount of Celtic blood in them, judging from ancient busts and statues they didn't look like the modern Italians we have today. Not to mention, Brennus sacked Rome in 400bc and I'm sure they left their genetics among them as is common with invasions and occupations. Also you have to account for the high levels of r1b-U152 found so predominantly across all Italy but mainly found in the Northern padanian area which the Celts traditionally inhabited.

I sense you are getting angry.

>they left their genetics among them as is common with invasions and occupations
It's funny you would say that, since pretty much every genetic study ever reveals the exact opposite: only full blown migrations influence the genetic pool, invasions and rapes do nothing whatsoever.
Do stop with the memes pls, we're not /pol/.
Also stop talking about U-152, that marker is far older than celtic culture. It's like saying modern chimps influenced the human gene pool because both chimps and humans have genes belonging to their common ancestor.

Haplogroup I is all over the British Isles in the exact places the Vikings raided. Celts held Rome for months.

U152 is clearly Celtic, it exists today in highest concentrations in the major original Celtic homeland. You're just in denial because you're probably a romaboo and can't accept that Celts influenced Romans success.

The vikings didn't just raid. They colonized large swathes of England in numbers as big as angles and saxons.
Holding a city means nothing. Even if they raped and made pregnant every single woman within, by mere virtue of leaving you can be sure every single bastard was thrown down the tarpean rock. If you weren't a dense celtaboo you'd realize this.

U-152 is older than the celts. You seem obsessed with defining as celtic every single IE culture that branched into Europe. It spawns from France to Poland, and it weakens in Germany because of the obvious germanization of the area. I would hardly call it celtic alone.

I'm not even trying to deny celtic cultural influence (I'm not the guy you were discussing with at the beginning), especially military and decorative. I'm just trying to get out of your skull the most /pol/ tier bullshit you're spouting about genetic influence.

Keep telling yourself that.

Are you trying to prove my point user? That map shows that the haplogroup is centered exactly in the core areas of PRE celtic and italic cultures, and weaker in preeminently celtic areas like western France.

>Many of the religious aspects of Christianity came from the celtic world such as the trinity.
Source?
Wasn't a doctrine of two or more within one an old Jewish view?

Celt inventions :
the vallus (an harvester)
the iron plough
the scythe
the sickle
the barrel
the iron chainmail
helmets with guards cheeks
horseshoe with iron nails
folding blade knife
the sopo (polish soap)
wool mattress (Romans preffered straw)
forcises (wool scissors)
fibula
breeches
beer (cervesia)
pâtés, boudins, sausages, salting food

reminder
for the Anglos the Celts only created the bagpipe

>folding blade knife
woah

Defeated the Eternal Anglo

Beer is Not a celtic invention, even ancient Egyptians had it, fibula was invented by urnfield people in Hungary, Not by celts

Galician reporting in. We are modern day hobbits.

Historically we are known for being shit and an heroing before surrender. (Usually from crushed berry seeds)

It's something we're told to be proud of. Being shit but not surrenderinv ever.

I believe it was Peter Beresford Ellis: the Celts

He's a wee bit to sure that the Celts did everything so leave some room for doubt.

Nah they're pretty similar. Any differences in northern Europeans are minor phenotypical variations at best.

You have the highest amount of North African admixture in Iberia.

>Celt inventions :
You do realize almost half of these were invented independently by any culture? People were drinking beer in ancient Mesopotamia.

They did exactly what the Irish exist to do today: trigger revelant nations with a superiority complex by forcing their way into brief relevancy and banter.

>Never conquered by Rome, not really for any reason other than it'd be a lot of fucking hassle for not a lot of use
>Ferocious fucking warriors despite the strategic irrelevancy of their island
>Did some fucking BASED metallurgy
>Vikings invade and occupy huge amounts of the British isles, the Norse Army from dublin made up of thousands of men is BTFO by Mael Sechnaill Mac Domnaill and his few hundred men, with the remaining norseshits pacified by Brian Boru when he came to sweep up the remains
>Some joined Britain in WW1, but others decide fuck it all, let's try ruling ourselves
>Through what I can only call sheer luck and good timing, they actual manage to secede from the British Empire
>The troubles happens in the North, and Irish people end up having equal voting, housing and employment rights with the British
>To this day, anglos are triggered constantly by the sheer existence of Irish people

>smell so bad and be so dirty you have the need to invent soap
I guess thats what happends when you live in the mud.

Must have been nice to live in a clean marble roman city while smelling like flowers all day

VOLTUNK

Wow celts conquered celts. Must have been difficult.

I'm fucking laughing. What the fuck is it with this website and cucking

i'm shocked by the lack of brennus in this thread

>checking doubles on a blue board

Anyone else find these instruments incredibly unnerving? imagine being a centurion hearing these sinister notes and clacking through the trees. Or the dark bellows of a pagan ritual in the old forests of Europe. It's some primordial stuff that reall makes my skin crawl.

romans cleaned themselves with oliveoil