7 forward gears

>7 forward gears
>65mph in first

Why are Americunt cars geared so retardedly?

The real problem is that it isn't an ecoboost

how fast is first in the automatic ones?

muh 0-60
muh highways

>takes 13 seconds to go from 30mph to 50mph in top gear
>911 and gtr does it on 2-3 seconds
Idk Americans are just shit

So they don't have to change gears, it is America after all

low rpm torque availability and high top speed

If the engine makes enough power, a low first gear is kind of pointless. Similarly, if the engine makes enough power, no reason other than manufacturing cost not to include a super-super-overdrive gear for highway fuel economy. But this post will be ignored in a sea of shitposting.

how does having a retardedly long 1st gear help top speed or highway economy?

Are you retarded? It doesn't but that isn't the point dipshit

so why not just make 20 gears for maximum fuel economy then

TORKS

Except for how you still need to hill start, and even if the LS was an 8L with a massively heavy flywheel, it would still be a pain in the ass.

There is no excuse at all for having such a long first gear, it only ruins driveability in order to improve on the claimed 0-60 times.

Not only is 1st stupid, but you're still expected to go 1st to 4th with the retarded skip shift shit because they're too lazy to make the cars meet economy regulations without resorting to dumb shit

Manufacturing cost like I said, a retardedly wide shift pattern, and that's what CVTs and gazillion-speed autos are for.
7 is the super-duper overdrive gear, that is the gear that helps highway fuel economy.

Don't ever call me a dipshit again you impertinent yob. Do you know who I am?

How is that retarded gearing? First gear is supposed to be tall and torquey for elite 0-60 times and 1st gear bragging rights

pic related, does 110mph in 1st

Bikes have long first gears so you don't die, faggot.

You're not going to flip a corvette until it has 2000hp+ and massive slicks, at which point you won't have more than 3 gears anyway.

1st gear should be ending at about 65-70km/h with 2nd going up to about 110km/h in any reasonable car application.

There also shouldn't be 3 fucking overdrives in a manual like the stupid 7-speed in the corvette. 5th should be the 1:1, not 4th.

>Don't call me a dipshit you impertinent yob.

7th is added on to a standard 6 speed design, it's not a totally new gearbox. It's for just setting the cruise at 70 and getting better fuel economy, since superchargers and the EPA being happy don't mix.

>He thinks he's being sarcastic

Also, my American fox body is only in 1st for like two or three seconds unless I'm just trying to light up my tires

It's a waste of time is what it is, the exact same thing could've been accomplished by increasing the ratios of 5th and 6th in a normal TR-6060.

Adding another gear without making the box actually worthwhile with it is dumb as shit,

>how does it help top speed
Are you stupid?
>muh economy
Europoor

Are you?

You can't even top out 5th, let alone 6th or 7th.

>You can't even top out 5th, let alone 6th or 7th.
Look at him and laugh

you're not making any sense my autistic friend.
take your meds and try again

Several reasons:
Sport cars get close gear ratios so they can always be in power band on a track. That makes first gear taller. That also means having more gears if you want a wider spread or higher top gear.
Sport cars get high revving engines. As a result you can go much faster in first gear than a typical shitbox before you run out of RPMs.
MPGs- A higher top gear allows it to cruise down the highway at a lower RPM and use less fuel.

The tall first gear is exaggerated even more on sport bikes. I think liter bikes get 90+mph in first gear.

Mpg

Also, power band
You lose torque after a certain RPM, even if you're still gaining hp.

ITT: A bunch of eurofags that have never experienced the torque of a V8, they can't even comprehend it.

Just because you need 5 gears to get to 30 in your .9 liter diesel doesn't mean real cars need that shit.

Yeah, as someone who's driven an LS2 with a TR-6060 and been annoyed at the 1st gear, you're a dumb cunt.

>you're not making any sense my autistic friend.
Oh the ironing

Torque of a v8 lol
Come experience the torque of our twin turbo v12s, shit cunt

>someone who's driven an LS2 with a TR-6060 and been annoyed at the 1st gear

because you couldn't get it out of 1st during the parking lot test drive?

Have fun shifting your diesel shitbox a million times to go get your tendies.

you don't have a clue do you?

why were you annoyed by 1st gear? genuinely curious here

oh I forgot every European has driven the high end European cars. that's the thing is everyone and their sister has driven a corvette cause there's so many and they're so cheap.

>retardedly long 1st gear
Do you want a shorter 1st gear to be able to spin the wheels even more?

Best gearing is as follows

>25mph in 1st
>45mph in 2nd
>80mph in 3rd
>110mph in 4th

5th and 6th who cares.

Best cuz you have to change gears constantlywhich is more fun, and you can still drive around at 35mph in 6th gear for muh mpg.

Anyone who states otherwise is either a busrider or benchracer. Tall gearing means you never have to change gear in which case you may as well buy a fucking 3 speed auto from the 80's you fucking faggot.

The twin turbo V12's that put out less torque than a big block, carb'd, ancient V8?

naw.

Yeah sure thing burgerboy
Go back to thinking your 5000lb 160hp 7l v8 smog Era piece of shit is a nascar

probably the fact that you need to slip the clutch constantly to deal with stop-go traffic

Because it was a pain in the ass.

>hurr V8 torque
Doesn't help when pulling up a steep hill and trying not to burn out a clutch, niggers.

900lbft with a tune ain't no joke son
Go back to your 140hp "Mustang king cobras"

Come back here when you've grown out of your hondashitboxricer stage.

1st gear goes to 65mph so that the 0-60mph/ 100kmph can be done without a gear change, which basically pads the statistics

Then there would be a big jump from 5th to 6th. This way they keep those gears for people who want them and give them an additional option.

>dude my long gears are sick for highway pulls!!

>with a tune

It's not even reliable stock... Why would you make it even more un-reliable?

those are super wide gear ratios. enjoy never being in the power band

>bragging about destroying your engine.

Why would accelerating in a tall gear destroy an engine?

>what is engine lugging

Its plenty reliable
At least it doesn't blow up 6 miles from the dealership or shut off after a minute of hard acceleration like the pos corvette

Something properly engineered vehicles don't experience apparently, just the shit heap cuckvette

>TEN SECONDS DIFFERENCE OVER 30MPH
Literally can't make it up ROFLMAO

Bread on engine or fuck off.

You don't have to stomp the gas, just ease into it.

what the fuck would be the point of making 1st gear useless on the car?
they have enough torque to cruise around at 50km/h in 6th gear and still pull to highwayspeeds without downshifting for christ sake.

>car designed to go fast on a track

Why is every fucking person acting like we're talking about a shitbox

> tall and torquey

are you retarded m8

>massive torque doesn't help on a hill

I'm not understanding what you're saying here. I dd a tr6060 and first is fine for crawling hills.

all it means is the gtr and 911 don't have as much of an overdrive in top gear tho

ITT: Faghots

Please don't feed him replies.

>literal triggered muh v8 cucks

kek

>V12
With 2.0 litres of displacement.

You aren't fooling anyone either with your weed whacker engine on steroids.

Because it's either europoors who think anything over 50cc is too powerful or its nocar bench racing faggots.
>NEETs included in the bench racing category.

The 6 litre amg s65, stupid faggot

racing cars have a long 1st gear too, therefore it is patrician.

>2 liter v12

stop being literal fucking retarded

Its not his fault he was born in America
Show some compassion

>litres
>america
At least you tried.

>spelled as liter and not litre
Americunt indeed

How retarded are you? Nowhere did I or the person you're trying to insult say liter.

litreal retard

And the taxes on just the engine alone would force someone into bankruptcy

>That engine has over 1 litre of displacement and more than three cylinders!
>We can't have such an excessive machine on the road!
>We must tax it into oblivion!
>???
>There we saved Kebab's children from potentially being scared to death by such an unnecessary and excessive car.
>Who would want to own such a thing anyways?

Taxes on old cars with big displacement are actually next to nothing. Any car made before around 2005 can only be taxed up to a maximum of £290, doesn't matter if its a Dodge Viper or a BMW 530d.

>What is tall as fuck easy highway cruising gearing