How can a GTR be a track car if it's so goddamn fat?

how can a GTR be a track car if it's so goddamn fat?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster
youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Computers that do the driving for you

Are you retarded or just from yuropooria?

Weight isn't the only factor you consider...

Guessing Yuropoor

weight is the most significant factor. you can't retain grip if you have so much momentum going into a corner that the lateral gs of shifting your driving wheels are greater than the friction coefficients of the tarmac.

Its hollow inside

>technology
>21st century living

That's also why heavy things fall faster than light things.

nice textbook regurgitatin but some of the fastest cars in the world weigh twice as much as your shitty corolla, so yet again i'm left guessing those highly paid professionals know something a random autist on Veeky Forums doesn't

The technology that adds the weight is superior than the weight savings potential by not having that technology
Go back to your rusted na miata shit box

show me a car that weighs 5600lbs that isn't a slow sack of dogshit around every track on the planet. i'll wait.

>heavy things fall fazter than light things.

Newton called, said you were a faggot.

Because people who drive 4 banger shitboxes think weight is the defining factor in performance. I never understood this logic because most of the fast cars today are heavy as hell.

Super cars are tipping the scales near 4k lbs, loaded luxury beasts like the cts-v will stomp nearly anything.

Poor people with shit cars will bitch though.

Now go back and look at what I responded to and think long and hard how friction is calculated. Don't come back before you're done.

most supercars are made entirely of carbon fiber where are you getting 4k from?

The 918 weighs a lot
Not 4k but close enough

it weighs 3933

which is also less than a Mercedes benz SL500 so

>Veyron 4,162 lbs
>Aventador 4,083 lbs
>R8 up to 3,803 lbs
>NSX (2016) 3,803 lbs
>AMG GT 3,627 lbs

Paganis, Koenigseggs, McLarens and Porsches don't weigh as much, sure, but there's plenty heavy supercars.

wide as fuck tires and a shitload of horsepower being selectively put down on 4 wheels

wow the 918 does weigh a lot more than I expected. It comes in at 3602-3692lbs. I wouldn't have expected a car of that size to weigh more than 3200lbs with all the carbon fiber it has.

Hybrid powertrain with batteries adds a lot, the car is literally completely packed with components inside.

just so you know, that weight is in there to help brutal launches.

nissan intentionally made it that heavy.

the nismo version shaves off more weight and costs more, remember the GTR is budget performance.

light cars THEORETICALLY will perform better, but have you ever tried to drive a ls swapped sub 1000kg car?

it's literally terrifying, that much torque and no weight to keep it planted.

the gtr is made for the real world so it's not a carrera GT and puts their customers in walls. don't blame nissan for intentionally keeping their customers safe while also using that weight to their advantage to improve launches

Still can't compete with a radical

>giving a shit about your customers' lives

That sort of thinking is the eventual death of nice things.

300k sled with wheels, an engine, and turn signals, vs 150k luxury performance car with back seats.
I wonder which is faster around a track?????

Bread on track machine.

Still can't compete with a heavier zonda

it's a street car.

if they went back to the weight cars used to be in the 70's with modern engines delivering absurd power, it would simply not be safe.

i'm not talking about airbags and that sort of shit, i mean there would not be enough weight over the wheels to get traction on street tires.

if tire technology advances, they can safely make super light cars once again.

as you're seeing with the new redbull hypercar, notice how they want to stick f1 rubber on it?

if you want something super light weight, just make it yourself, you can easily do it for the price of a new car...it's just going to be scary as shit.

the gtr as it is already is pretty damn fucking fast for it's weight and price. i think they did a great job.

they flat out said they could have gone crazier but that would have driven the price up and made it more difficult to drive.

good news though, the new GTR (36) won't be limited by price. They're going balls to the wall on the next one.

4wd

>o

its faster than the corvette and this triggers people

This.

If your customers want to give you hundreds of thousands of dollars so they can kill themselves, you fucking let them.

that's what private shops are for, dummy.

you don't get it do you. the gtr is fucking amazing for the price they sell it at. you can buy one, spend double on it and turn it into a lightweight monster and put yourself in a wall if you want.

nissan would be fucking stupid to tarnish their brand name by making another carrera GT.

it's a stain on porsche's history forever what happened with that widowmaker (i love porsche, don't get me wrong) and the countless lives lost.

it's just not good for buisness to make a car your customers cannot drive unless they're full blown race car drivers (the carrera gt killed a race car driver).

what they can do and did do with the gtr is make it tunable so you can easily turn it into what you want later without them being liable.

i honestly don't blame them.

Most people have no idea about the Carrera GT other than muh paul walker. To clarify on what this guy is trying to say, jay leno, several racing drivers also had huge problems driving it.

World rally champ walter rohl said on it's release it was the only car that truly scared him.

If you want to make the GTR lighter, it's easy. Spend another 100-150 grand ontop of what you pay to remove all the computers and make it purely mechanical. You can even make a manual one, it's been done.

Get more power out of the engine too, make it absolutely stupid.

The car will be insanely capable and will shit fury on nearly anything....but do you have the capability to drive it?

The honest answer is no, you really don't and all it takes is one tiny mistake to spiral out of control, Carrera GT style.

This is what companies avoid. They don't want their cars to kill people because it will lose them sales.

Go to a private company where the onus is 100% on your skill to drive it and hand them the money and you'll get the car you dream about. But as i said above, do you have the balls to actually drive a 1000kg, 1000hp GTR?

Trips speak the truth.

By the way, like 20 people have died or been seriously injured in Carrera GT's. It's the kind of car that commands respect.

>the carrera gt killed a race car driver
Rip in piece my nigga JDM-tyte Skyline man

This sort of thing is what killed Group B, too.

I mean, you don't have to do that. You can use the full fiber Overtake GT-R kit and drop a few hundred pounds and build out the engine to 700-800 horsepower.

Some extra cooling and transmission reinforcements along with some extra downforce and suspension would work well.

it's killed more than paul, the death count is over 20 now

i think his point was the people claiming they want a light GTR would most likely not be able to handle such a powerful car.

i mean, you have the world rally champ getting scared by a car like the carrera GT, imagine the kind of car that's lighter and has more power.

i think for all the shit people give the computers, they should be thankful. it's like a guardian angel sitting next to them, because they've never driven something so fucking scary you're afraid to put your foot down.

my dad's old car was like that, made over 1500 at the wheels and weighed 1100kg.

i drove it once and was so scared to put my foot down more than a quarter.

I doubt that's true assuming you compensated for the loss of weight with additional downforce.

F1 is incredibly safe these days mostly because downforce generated from the aero makes the car as "heavy" as cars like the GT-R at speed.

Negative lift is also better than additional weight because in a turn it will exert force equally on both tires instead of shifting force.

You can make a light, powerful car safe. It's a question of engineering.

I agree, but remember the GTR is a budget supercar.

Perhaps the new one is going to employ these types of engineering because they stated they no longer give a fuck about cost, wheras before it's hardly fair to expect full f1 tech in a 150k car.

You want to increase downforce by air resistance, not mass.

>▆

how can a Corvette be a track car if it has ancient rear leaf springs and pushrod engine design?

Skylines have been on overhead cam and independent rear suspension for over 50 years

Overraskende at du klarer å stave såpass bra mens du sitter på bussen.

Just because it cannot compete (in anything other than egg and spoon races), doesn't mean it's not a track car.

Because it's not built on a ladder frame like the corvette.

>go to clean gutters
>forgot my damn brother borrowed my ladder last weekend and hasn't returned it
>look over at corvette
>i-wonder.jpg
>stand corvette against house at perfect 4-1 pitch like in all the ladder safety videos
>stand on first rung/crossmember
>this is going ok
>forget about 800 mile engine failure few days ago
>oil and guts everywhere
>slip and break my neck
>mfw I'm dead and can't compete in the local egg and spoon race tomorrow

shit meme to be honest

>but have you ever tried to drive a ls swapped sub 1000kg car?

>it's literally terrifying, that much torque and no weight to keep it planted.

that's why having too much torque is fucking retarded and is only needed to haul poorly designed pigfat cars around a track. short gearing, less weight, higher rpm to get more hp while sacrificing torque are what a track car should have. ls engine is like a fucking truck engine and needs to stop being put in anything but sedans and trucks. it's a joke to call it a "performance" engine because the only thing it performs at is being shit.

oh dang do you work at nissan?

On a related subject: which sports/super has killed the most people? I'm willing to bet it is something like a 911 or Corvette due to sales volume but it would be interesting to find out.

Would a Gtr for 50k be a bad first car and daily driver? I need something that's a good grocery getter and can be written off by my company account by be Being auto and has four seats. Only condition is it has to be under 55k and can't be slow on the nurburgring.

>super cars
>daily driver
>first car

Pick one. You'll be spending another 20k a few months after you buy it to put in a new transmission. If you don't flatten yourself on a wall before that.

What meme is this for you to think a tranny doesn't last for more than a few months? Are you high on o memes?

300 SLR: Beheading Europeans before it was cool.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster

A GT-R at 50k is usually super questionable. If you really shop around at 55k you might find a 2009/2010 example that hasn't been fucked to shit.

"The bonnet spun through the air like a disc, decapitating dozens of tightly jammed spectators like a guillotine."

Brutal

> 4000 == 5600

euro reading comprehension

Thanks to you I spent 2 hours learning about this.

Not to be macabre, but are there any clearer pictures of this? I've been looking.

Fat isn't only about weight, it is about size. It is like tracking an SUV. That thing is huge.

>5600
where are you getting this number? even the Hellfat is 4500lbs. 5600 is like a full-size truck

The footage isn't graphic but still incredibly brutal:

youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k

This is about 4900lbs

And? It's a fucking boat you anime rapist.

>source: I looked at the picture