So is there really any advantage to RWD over FWD minus doriftos?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/13296804
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have a feeling that this thread is actually serious

Simpler construction, less cramped engine bay, better turning, better weight distribution

Sure there are more that I cant remember right now

Superior everything

It is serious I was just wondering
Thanks yall

Serious piggyback

So really the only reason that FWD exists is for cheap shit boxes because it's cheaper to manufacture?

Yes

There are a number of reaons why FWD is the most common drive train these days

>weight
More weight on the driven wheels, improves traction in slippery conditions
>economy
Less weight as you don't need a heavy rear drive assembly, drive axle going from front to back
>driving style
Its generally more forgiving and more predictable than RWD. For normies, that is
>space
More legroom for the rear passengers as you don't need to alot space for the axle

There is less power loss through the trans. That kinda goes along with the cheap shitbox though.

Takes a lot of engineering to get a front diff that works well when you are accelerating and turning at the same time. RWD is more simple in that aspect.

Jesus fuck, I don't think I've ever seen this kind of thread appear on Veeky Forums and not be a total shitstorm, people have actually responded sensibly.

Give yourself a pat on the back Veeky Forums, I'm proud.

Is fwd safer in snow/slippery conditions?

FWD tends to do better in low-grip situations, yes.

What about AWD? Is it just a gimmick that manufacturers use to sell or does it actually have a purpose that makes it superior to a 4x4 RWD?

Comparing traditional FF to FR; in theory yes, as you'll get more traction due to there being more weight on the driven wheels

On standard road tyres, generally yeah. On proper snow tyres though, you should be able to do fine with a RWD car.

Tons of different systems and settings are marketed as AWD

Everything from the shitty 1st gen Torsen that only activated when the fronts were already slipping (you can see why thats retarded, I'm sure) to Subaru all-time 50/50 AWD

>shitty 1st gen Torsen
Haldex*

Haldex, yeah... its late, please shoot me

I wish it was mandatory to take basics physics in school.

Long story short

>Tires have a limited amount of force they can produce before they start sliding
>force is necessary to brake, turn and accelerate
>turning and braking are done mostly by the front tires
>putting power through the rear tires better spreads out the force over all 4 tires, meaning that overall the car should be able to put more power down while turning without understeering

simple

OP what spell did you cast to ward off the shitposters

only if you don't know what you're doing. Steering and braking are going to be the same, which are the things that keep you from crashing.

With a FWD car it will be easier to put down power, and if you do put down too much, then your front wheels will break traction which will result in controllable understeer, rather than fishtailing oversteer. However, if you simply are very very careful with the throttle, you won't have any problem with a RWD car.

Most of the time you're not near the limit of grip let alone over it so the choice of driven wheels doesn't even matter. Also a lot of cars have traction control and stability control so the oversteer/understeer thing becomes irrelevant in normal driving.

But one advantage to RWD that hasn't been mentioned thus far is better launches. FWD cars struggle for grip off the line.

You can't control the back wheels in a FWD aside from the e-brake. They're just trailing behind like limp dicks, might as well replace the rear wheels with logs if they're not being driven.

Another advantage of RWD over FWD that hasn't been mentioned here is more even tire wear. When you front tires are responsible for braking, steering, and accelerating you put a lot of friction on them. RWD alleviates this somewhat, meaning less pit stops in races.

Generally yes. The Ford Falcon, a RWD car, used to be the king of rally until the Morris Mini came along and absolutely trounced it. The Mini is a tiny little economy car meant for good mileage, not rally racing, but due to its FWD layout it manages a ton of traction on dirt and gravel.

Cheaper and less easy to crash

they don't teach you about this in basic physics retard
>"I know about Newton's Laws and how to draw free body diagrams (treating everything as a point particle of course), so now I am an expert on automotive engineering!"
-You

Puts power down easier.

Doesn't matter for a 150hp shitboxes. Matters when you have 300/400hp.

Generally lends itself to better chassis balance, you can power-oversteer if you need to rotate more, simpler to work on, generally able to handle more power, and larger engines.

And doing donuts of course.

another

Pushing is always easier than pulling, and gives you more control
Try it out with a large trashcan

For once the shitposters aren't here.

August 25th, 2016
The day Veeky Forums compared and contrasted FF and FR without incident.
Sticky archive and lock this threads pls

Theres tons of different AWD systems as said before. Some are 80/20 some 50/50 some 20/80 and every other combination you could think of. Not a gimmick in the lightest, just depends on what you want. Personally the R32 (IMO) uses the best AWD system which is a RWD until the rear tires lose a certain amount of traction than the front tires kick in and grab power (Anywhere from 0% to 50% of the power can be sent to the front wheels.)

This IMO is the ideal car, especially given taking out 1 fuse in the car disables the AWD system entirely and it becomes a full RWD car.

AWD like Subaru uses is god-tier in the snow and generally in low traction situations, with all wheels receiving power all of the time. Fwd-based AWD that sends power to the rears occasionally is not great. And as mightyBenz said theres all kinds of different torque splits.

>being this much of a retard.

Tie a rope arround the base of said trashcan and you will pull it way easier than push.

What? How would this help at all? It would make it even worse to steer

The R33/R34 system were significantly improved, the map was such that FWD was engaged earlier so less time was spent slipping the rear wheels.

You don't actually want to lose traction.

In my experience RWD has a much easier time getting up hills in a fully loaded work car. When the company made us switch to eco friendly FWD cars we literally couldn't make it out of the loading dock with a load of coke onboard. Just sat spinning the front wheels going nowhere.

Also when out 4x4ing a mates landcruiser with front locker was a massive PITA to get up any muddy hill with a corner in it. Yet my n/a 80 series with recently shimmed LSD took it like a dream.

How many socket pieces do y'all lose in your cramped engine bays

This fwd car was superior to the majority of rwd cars during its time.

>fwd
>superior

AWD and 4WD is the same thing, we've discussed this several times.
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/13296804

Weight transfer. Under acceleration, forces transfer the weight towards the rear in a dynamic load transfer.

This means you suddenly have less weight on the front wheels and more on the rear. RWD can benefit from this, FWD finds this to be their biggest weakness.

I used to follow you on Instagram

If rwd is so superior then why dont horses push carriages?

Check mate atheists

Fwd is shit, fuck off

Why don't boats and ships have the propellers at the front?

Planes do.

It's more space efficient which is appealing to the 90% of buyers that don't care about performance.

They are. They drive them in reverse to keep the odometer down.

If FWD is so superior why is it easier to push yourself backwards in an office chair (like RWD) than pull yourself forwards (like FWD)

Check mate FWDfags

Fwd isn't superior though

It's fucking trash

BTFO!!!!!!!
WILL FWD EVER RECOVER?

fwd is better for drifting because its easier to control the car during a slide with fwd, fwd is lighter , its a superior development for a more modern age of driving

BTFOOOOOOOOO

fwd is arguably the best platform, why else is it so common in the automotive industry? Obviously RWD is outdated and archaic, and should be phased out.

daily reminder fwd has never won lemans

>nissan builds fwd lmp2 car
>it can't even compete with gte class cars
FWD A SHIT
A SHIT

I don't know desu. Most posts I make on Veeky Forums usually doesn't attract shit posters. I guess I'm a god. Fear me frogposters

>tfw people people confuse "dorito" and "doriftu" and now say "dorifto"

Absolutely btfo

Is recovery even possible????

>SOHC
>145hp
>F W D
>W
>D
Why did Mazda even make this car?

>lmp2
Opinion discarded

the only reason all cars a long time ago were fwd is because they were too dumb to make wheels turn and do drifting at the same time??? now we are smart enough to do that so why doesnt all car makers do that?

>fwd fags think understeer is a good thing

FWD FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
I would know since I drive fwd

>not wanting to dorifto in your dorifto

>actually lmp1 class
>still cant even compete with gte class cars
THATS EVEN WORSE
HOLY SHIT
FWD COMPLETELY, UTTERLY AND ETERNALLY BTFO

but FWD means your car is more advanced since your wheels are both driving and TURNING the car. fwd drivers = smarter

B T F O
T
F
O

BWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>no ecoboost

>not having a car with neutral understeer that you can balance with throttle-on oversteer

kek learn to drive

FWD is for people who don't know or care how to drive well.

RWD is for fun.

>he doesn't know all these corrections lead to slower lap times
BTFO

ITT: FWDfags BTFO!!!!!!!!!!!

plus with fwd you are allowed to pull the ebreak to drift whenever you want so you dont have to turn on the clutch to work the wheels and turn right to turn left

>nissan

It was set for failure even before they chose the drivetrain.

In snow awd is like good snow tires on a 2wd car for acceleration but not better for decelerating. Fwd is better for snow but I luv muh rwd.

FWDfags confirmed no skill
BTFO!

>posting fake laptimes
youre just mad that fwd owns literally all cars

Summer is over/mom made dinner

yeah i have to agree with you there FWD is much better for drifting since you can even get cars that have the park break on the front wheels and do turn drift and kachow

>lap times
>tfw my 60hp ef civic would probably set a better laptime than most cars on Veeky Forums

laptimes are almost irrelevant to street performance

>gm fangirls literally triggered again

no???

BTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>fwd

my type r civic would beat you on any touge or track ok??? just give in you know im the better car guy

generally better 0-60 times due to the inherent weight shift when accelerating, and it also naturally understeers less, but that can probably be tuned out

Steering is aided by the driven wheels pulling you in snow

in a situation with the same tires, almost certainly, but winter tires really do make a huge difference, no matter which wheels are driven

>lying on the internet
your not a car guy if you think fwd can compete

>FWD owning anything

>can’t even beat a clapped out shitbox

How does rwd even compete?

>nissan fwd car set faster qualifying times than all the rwd gte cars
Rwd btfo

>needs a 200k bmw to beat a civic grocery getter
Rwd fags getting desperate Roflmao

it only took fwd 7 years to catch up
BTFO!!!!

FWD absolutely destroyed

Yes there is, and the most important one is often not found in these threads.

Your tires can only maintain grip up to a certain point. Accelerating, braking, and steering* all require the use of the tire's friction, and after a certain point (temperature, surface, & tire dependant)** the tire cannot grip any more and 'breaks loose.'

/// THE TAKEAWAY \\\ is that a FWD car uses its front tires for acceleration, braking, and steering, whereas RWD gives acceleration to the rear tires meaning that they can accelerate more in the same corner at the same speed than a comparable FWD/AWD car.

Other factors include better weight distribution and more room for front maintenance or suspension components / bigger engines / FI systems.
* Factors other than driver input include gravity, road incline, and the vehicle's total weight.

** Things such as unloading the suspension by cresting a hill or loading the suspension by bottoming out in a trough also change the tire's ability to maintain grip (coefficient of friction).

That's right