The urge to sell my turbo awd sedan and buy a massive 2-door classic landbarge is overwhelming...

The urge to sell my turbo awd sedan and buy a massive 2-door classic landbarge is overwhelming. I just want to drive on a comfy leather couch with a V-8 in front.

It's so impractical though. Dogshit mpg, rwd, wont even fit in my garage.

Should i do it anyway? Also landbarge general.

is that green interior? gross

The big reason you shouldn't is the garage detail. Classic barges, especially soft top ones, don't last long when you let them stay outside their whole life. Look into a Grand Marquis or Town Car on the Ford panther platform, just because those are the two sofa interior cars that come off the top of my head.

Thanks. Is this because of rust issues or something else?

>bumper filler rot
Quality Detroit engineering.

Do it, it's glorious. BUT do not sell your DD. Have this as your weekend car

And guess what they learned from it 15 years later.

NOTHING.

Fugg, this sounds like the right answer

Guess i need to start saving

Show me a 39 year old example of what you drive. I"ll wait.

First off the El Dorado was FWD from 1967 on. Second, there are practical barges, i.e: wagons, trucks, and utes. Third you should only go for it if you know your driving style. If your commuting a lot and can't afford gas and repairs, then wait to get one as a second car. Lastly, do your research. Know the car that your going to buy. Know all the usual problems that comes with it and always check for rust especially underneath. In all, you should go for it just to experience. Land barges are actually quite fun because they are big and hard to handle so it makes it a thrill from being so unsafe and primitive. You just gotta try it to understand.

Thanks. My first car was a landbarge (85 Town Car) so i know how they ride. The more stuff i drive the more i just want a barge. Probably just nostalgia but i dont even care.

Seems like only GM really had this problem.

Have some freshly waxed Town Car

Why the fuck do these 80's rectangular landbarges look so good to me all of a sudden

FUCK

First car i bought was a 85 buick regal what had the pillowtop seats. I now drive a corolla but goddamn i miss the fuckin boat

80s barges are best barges imo.

>regal
>boat
I mean it's big in today's standards but cmon.

Then it's your decision. 80s and late 70s boats are still really cheap.

Buy a cheap late 70's barge for $2-3k, keep your current car, enjoy the barge for a year for the experience then sell it.

yes

I got a question for you fellers. Theres constantly postings of retired police cars with 130K on them for 2-3K. Includes bulletproof drivers doors and cages in the back and the fat ass bumpers on them. Anyone have experiances with used cop cars? Are they worth the purchase?

I got one. I think it's a good and cheap way for the land barge experience. Get as cheap as possible because they have non existing resale value. I don't view the cage as a selling point at all, I'd love bullet proof doors but they are just a kevlar panel in the door, make sure the door feels heavier than usual.

>80s barges are best barges imo.

Honestly they are. I don't consider panthers and B bodys to be barges, the true barges were before the big three downsized. However for a daily they make much more sense, and are cheap as fuck.

80s panthers are barges in my book

Park one next to a true barge and it's a different story. A pre 79 Ford makes a panther feel really modern by comparison. I still miss my 77 LTD.

This. If you can't afford to have someone do the work, it could take awhile to make the car reliable. But driving a land yacht is the best damn feeling

Sell current car.
buy barge
buy geo metro

very nice

Why is your 77 gone?

Go for a 74-76 coupe deville. 500 ci and rwd.

While I'll take a Panther over most cars I'm still not quite happy with them in the road barge role. Their "roll period", for lack of a better term, feels short and gives an abrupt feel when compared to older barges like that 77. Get a Panther on rough pavement and they feel a bit jittery, which really stands out in a P71.

whats roll period

I can guarantee you that my current car won't have footlong body panels completely rotten away and disappeared even in another 31 years. This is the level of shit only GM manage to accomplish.

Barges had truck drivetrains, and some were heavier than contemporary trucks.

I slew a few FoMoCo barges for their 460/C6 combos for my trucks and sold their 9" rears to hot rodders. A 1977 Lincoln has larger front wheel bearings than the same year truck, which I found out when looting parts.

Comfy? Fuck yes they are. Everyone should try one but I'd rather have the trucks of the same generation.

My grandfather had a 90s Cadillac Sedan DeVille and it was super super comfy. Not sure exactly what year, but it was before they used the lt1. I would consider it a land barge