Why did all 1920s cars look exactly like this basically...

Why did all 1920s cars look exactly like this basically? Why did it take until the great depression for someone to make a car that wasn't just a box?

basically passenger comfort and ease of access, plus cars didnt go fast enough to need the aerodynamic efficiency the came with smoother styling.

Making curved pieces of metal was difficult and expensive due to technological restraints in manufacturing.

This is incorrect

Why did all 1980s cars look exactly like this basically? Why did it take until the aerodynamic era for someone to make a car that wasn't just a box?

this is correct
this is incorrect

this is correct
this is incorrect
this is desperation

I've wondered this too. If you look at basically all automotive technology it improved much more between 1930 and 1940 than between 1920 and 1930. This also applies to other things like aviation tech. It seems something triggered very fast technological advancement during the depression that wasn't there during the 20s

Dubya dubya too

Increased spending in R&D due to the possibility of war?

ww2

shift from hand manufacture of body panels to steel stamping/pressing

I mean nobody really thought another World War would break out even by 1938, but cars and planes were still much better than they were 10 years earlier

Except everyone in Europe were terrified a new war was on the horizon, which is why Chamberlain was working so hard to avoid it, the allies strengthened their ties to each other, the Axis built for war, and etc etc.

The entire Spanish civil war was basically a playground for the Axis and Allies to test their weapons before the real shit began.

IT'S BECAUSE THEY LOOK LIKE A HORSE-DRAWN COACH

Safety regulations.

except there were literally no safety regulations

This is kek

Because henry ford copied everyone elses designs.
Same thing they do today.

Why did all 2010s cars look exactly like this basically? Why did it take until the Trump presidency for someone to make a car that wasn't just a bar of soap?

This is so fucking accurate I hate soap box cars.

>Trump
>being president ever

Tfw you realise its him or hillary
As an Australian i can not understand why you guys can't vote Obama again.
he seems to have done a good job.

It was WW1 that influenced racing car designs with the airfoil and tear-drop designs to cheat wind resistance.

Of course the design was only fitting for straight line speed, and the wide track width and a super SWB meant for ill handling. Bugatti began to fine tune the design to become the 35C and Bentley began to work with the 4 1/2 Liter to influence of car makers to move on.

Car racing was in it's infancy and competition was strong, which lead to innovation.

lol you triggered the austists now

As an American, I don't understand either.

Talked to a canadian the other day.
We are a joke to them
My land lord is australian.
He will be moving back to australia as soon as someone is elected and says he wont come back

WW1 was where the idea for curves came, but manufacturing techniques were limited. It was fine to make curvy panels for one off, or one of 30 race cars (though if you look at cars of the 20s they have pretty flat panels) but things that needed to be mass produced, like military aeroplanes and consumer cars still had to make do with fairly simply made panels.

The build up to WW2 saw a necessity for better manufacturing techniques for more advanced and aerodynamic planes, this trickled down to production cars.

Heard you wanted some curves

You guys really are a big joke at the moment, The rest of the world is sitting around going "what will hillary/trump do in the south China sea"
And Americans are sitting around going "lol big funny wall"

I don't think Americans realise how close we are to ww3 starting in that stretch of ocean and America being the only thing stopping it from happening.

SSK or SSKL?

What are the hoses that come out the sides of the hood for?

No idea honestly. It got car of the show though.

Probably for heating the cabin on cold days

Aliens

Supercharger

I bet you morons also believe the old "WW2 fixed the economy" meme

Dude all cars in all fucking generations look the same. It was just the fashion of the moment

I'd laugh at the gooks, but Japan's pacifist constitution was our idea. And the Aussies will shut right the fuck up and roll with it because their entire economy is nothing but selling coal and milk to China.

Eastern Europe, on the other hand? Gonna be funny watching Russian tanks roll in.

So I take it you believe that FDR's deficit spending redistribution programs were the savior, not the global changes that made quick innovations in mass-scale innovation and manufacturing necessary.