Can somebody install a 2nd/larger fuel tank on a regular coupe/sedan...

Can somebody install a 2nd/larger fuel tank on a regular coupe/sedan? Or do they already take up all the available space.

I'm asking specifically for the 2014 R8, I asked at the r8forums a long time ago but nobody knew

bump

Yeah put a fuel cell in the trunk

Are you the same faggot that wanted to put a diesel in an R8 and clogged up the first page for like 8 hours?

it's gonna be a cell in the boot in an r8, with an inline pump, you have have to have a tank and pump switch fitted with another tank gauge.

Tbh I would just use an inline pump and use a relay to run it off the stock fuel pump circuit, but not put any extra load on the circuit.
I would cut the stock fuel line and put some AN fittings and put a tee into the system, that way the fuel pressure will all be correct and everything will work like normal.
Ofc this has probably not been done and trial and error will be involved to ensure everything works correctly.

I wouldn't in an r8 as you are going to trigger a CEL on CANBUS fault. I would have fuel delivered to the lines at the same pressure to trigger the fpr, or you are going to fuck with the vehicle octane map causing a whole heap of issues with the fueling side of the ecu.

If you pop a relay onto the stock circuit it's going to potentially divide the circuit and the ecu will notice that, you are just as well fitting a feeder line to feed the original tank off a cell, so that the bus line isn't interrupted. May as well fit a baffle so the fuel is transferred at a lower pressure into the standard tank, unless you are shit hot at audi electronics.

kek yeah, i suppose its a nice change from the constant ecoboost threads

Cant I just put a tank in the frunk and fit the dash with a switch that enables the primary tank to feed off the secondary one?

That's what i said

Something along those lines would make most sense to me. You can have an accessory pump that just moves fuel from your accessory tank to your main tank at the flip of a switch. That way your main fuel system won't be tampered with at all and you could probably easily remove your setup for restoring resale value to your car in case you want to get rid of it again.

Interesting project for an R8 though, not the usual car to do these kinds of mods.

Only problem with that is how would you determine the fuel level of the auxiliary tank

Okay
So
You don't own an Audi R8, and probably wont
So why bother?
The frunk of the R8 can fit a small second tank, maybe 4 gallons, but then you won't have anywhere to put your stuff besides the passenger seat
And that 4 gallon tank, if you drive like a grandma will give you a max of an extra 60 miles between fill ups.

Can't you just get a 20L fuel tin for like $15 and carry it around with you? Why would you go through the hassle of thousands of dollars of modification when you could carry more gas with you basically for free?

It's that small? Shieeet I thought it'd fit like 20 gallons or something

you can't even smuggle children

In raw space, like if you filled it with water, you might be able to fit 20 gallons, but you can't use all of that space for a gas tank, metal thickness, pumps, tubing etc.
this is pretty much the most reasonable thing for you to do if you ever get an R8

Oh and 20 gallons of gas on it's own is like 200 pounds, and add all the metal, wiring, tubing, pumps etc etc you'd be looking at making the R8 go from 3,600 pounds to over 4,000.

How about inside/under the car? Like behind the seats or underneath the frunk? I'd guess there would be no space there, most probably behind the seats would be better for handling purposes aswell (you dont have a shitload of weight in the front)

And who gives a shit about weight, the R35 weighs like 5k lbs and its faster than the R8

The R35 weighs 3900 pounds, it used to be 3800. R35 pigfat is a meme.
A lighter car will always feel better than an equivalent heavy car, you really don't know a lot about cars man...

Anyway, no, there's no room inside/under/behind the seats.

At the most, get a gas can molded to the trunk shape of the front to make the most of your space.

I stood by Veeky Forums memes and I never researched that. What do you know

Okay but wont the extra weight make it understeer?

n-no extra weight on the front wheels of an MR car won't make it understeer...

Dude just spend some more time trying to learn about cars first

k then thx for helping m8

Not quite the same but there was the cannonball run mercedes CL55, got 2 extra fuel tanks in the trunk for a total of 67 gallons

>15mpg * 67 gallons = 1005 miles = 1617 km

>seriously comparing a full blown v12 supercar to a v6 sports car

To be fair it IS faster, and the R8 is offered in a V8 and a V10

>seriously comparing a full blown enthusiast roadster to a diesel fiat