1992 Cherokee Transmission Issues

Looking for a Jeep Cherokee that I can get on the cheap and came across this guy. Seller wants $800 but I can't easily get it for about a hundred or two less since he seems like he's pretty open to offers. Problem is that there's an apparent problem with the transmission. To quote the seller, "Tranny gets stuck in 4th when put in drive so you have to shift up, it is still an automatic, so no clutch."

Any idea what this could be? I'm a little hesitant to jump in without a general idea of what kind of work it'll need done on it. Anything else I need to be worried about on these older Cherokees as well?

Bump

Help me out Veeky Forums

take it to a mechanic before buying it?

Offered the guy $600, he said $700 so I told him if he brought it to a shop and got an inspection done I'd do the $700 if everything checked out and explained the transmission issue.

Oh hey I actually had that problem with mine. I couldn't figure it out but it just stopped sticking.

It's a good truck, always something wrong with it but never fails to start.

Just get the chiltons manual and pore over it a bit

You're joking, right?

It's a sub $1,000 vehicle. No one bothers taking those to mechanics for inspections.

Trans flush in your backyard. Expect to buy a transmission someday.

Alright, forget the inspection then. I'll go with the suggestion trans flush instead

DO NOT BUY THIS JEEP, I KNOW THIS JEEP, IT WAS UNDER WATER OUT NEAR CHOCHRANE, JUST SO YOU KNOW I'M NOT LYING THAT PICTURE WAS TAKEN ON 17TH AVE AT THE TRANSMISSION SHOP THERE IN CALGARY ALBERTA, POST YOUR SKYPE OR SOMETHING AND I CAN SHOW YOU PICTURES OF IT UNDER WATER AND TELL YOU ABOUT IT

What the fuck. Tell me about it right here. I haven't used Skype since like 2010. How the fuck did it end up under water??

Stuck solenoid.
Not really, just change the oil and drive.

Well, it was one of my best friends jeep and he sold it last month to the guy who is reselling it now. Anyway, my buddy bought the jeep last july and there is an unpassable road that fills up with water like crazy and my buddy decided he was going to try and cross it, so he was going across straddling ruts from some bigger trucks and slipped off and the water got in and got up way past the floor boards. He towed it out and flushed everything and the motor works but the power windows and locks were all fucky and the tranny was doing the stuck in 4th gear thing, It also REAKED like swamp for MONTHS after it was sunk, we all just smoked in it for a long ass time to try and cover the smell of swamp with the smell of cigs. There's also a big ass hole in the floor of that jeep that my buddy just riveted a piece of sheet metal on to cover up. The kid who bought it from my buddy took it for an inspection and put it up for sale like a week later and it has been sitting at the transmission shop on 17th pretty much since then. My buddy sold it for $1000, I'd stay away if I were you, but it's your call. The head unit in it also drains the battery if you leave it in so you have to remove it every time you turn the jeep off or when you come back it will be dead.

What a goddamn greasy fucking horror show. Thanks for the heads up man. I'll steer clear of that thing.

No problem man, I just don't want anyone buying it from the scumbag who tried flipping it on my buddy haha. I lost the pictures of it under water, they were on my old phone, but here's a picture of my truck and the jeep last winter when my buddy still had it.

Such a nice shade of blue too. What a disappointment.

Wait I don't get it, isn't your buddy the scumbag for flooding it like a retard and then passing it off to some poor kid probably looking for his first car with the thousand dollars his dad trusted him with?

Oh well, I mean I guess the kid bought a thousand dollar lesson, but fuck have some decency, man.

XJs are dime a dozen

just find another one

The guy took it to a shop to get inspected before, I assume he knows the guy at the transmission shop since he had it inspected and delivered there and thought it would be an easy fix and could flip it for a quick buck.

Holy shit, I was going to tell you to go full steam ahead, beacuse I've done the exact same thing. Bought a '97 for $500 and all I did was replace the tranny and it works fine. But fucking user of the year award goes to this guy.

But really, totally pick up a cherokee if you can. XJ only. XJ or nothing, man. Solid vehicles. Also, they can turn into some pretty badass looking crawlers.

I don't have pictures of mine on my computer, but mine looks almost identical to this one. Only problems I've had are a faulty alternator, and a crack in the water pump. Both were the faults of previous owners.

Just do me a favor, nothing more than a 4" lift, please. I don't take mine on crazy trails, it's just to get over any obstacle that may be in my way if I go trailing.

are xjs body on frame?

No, they're unibody.
Wranglers are body on frame.

w-wh-att... they're not bof... ??? my life is a lie...