What caused the American obesity epidemic to happen?

What caused the American obesity epidemic to happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_hypothesis
youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Food.

Corn.

how can you live like this if you have a choice over whether or not you're fit? it's absolutely disgusting the things idiots do to the bodies theyre given

Subsidised corn which led to the prevalence of high fructose corn syrup.

maybe a response to the food scarcity during the great depression? when did it start becoming a problem?

The abundance of food and the development of technology that lead to more automation and less physical labor in work

sugar and syrup in fucking everything

culture of greasy & sugary food with no concept of moderation and quality ingredients like in europe

what are the trends with this? is it growing?

As an American who is very physically fit, I have to question why this fucking happens.

Literally the McDonald's company increasing their potions coupled with Americans "Bigger is better" culture

Avoiding all the fats and replacing them with cheap and fast carbs.

Culture of unhealthy food (Like Britain, also an extremely obese country), a sense of pride in how big your portion is, and a lack of excercise.

Neoliberalism.

I've got an aunt who looks like OP pic, she's suffered from depression basically all her life and has somehow convinced herself that she's just not genetically capable of losing weight. Basically it comes down to unhealthy food being cheap and weak willed idiocy. Lovely and kind woman though.

Fear of fat which led to increased consumption of sugar which

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_hypothesis

Who /keto/ here?

JEWS

Can everything wrong with America be linked back to non-whites

it's bullshit m8

Former fat ass here. It's really the American life style. Fast food, all the candy sold as you go up to the cashier, the mega pack deals. Basically I never felt I was eating too much when I decided to start losing weight and had to count calories. Holy fuck I was eating almost beyond 5000 calories a day. We eat fucking calorie dense food 24/7 ready in a second every day and barely even go for a walk.

Automobile, and structuring our society, including urban planning, around the automobile.

Imagine your worst vice or habit you want to rid but you can't because reasons.
So, it's the same with obesity. Of course everyone has responsability for their own, but in many cases we are nothing more than vicitms from a not fully mature society.

In no particular order:

1) Extremely cheap food

You have to eat big to get big, after all.

2) A high consumption of liquid calories

It's quite easy for many Americans to drink a relatively large amount of soda. Just one can has 140 calories, and it isn't uncommon for people to have 3-4 cans a day, which really adds up over time.

3) Lack of body shaming (particularly among men)

Being overweight in the U.S. isn't necessarily seen as negative, especially since from an obese person's perspective, he may be an average weight compared to those around him. If a man is obese, he may even be positively reinforced, being called a "big guy" or have his masculinity reinforced somehow (such as people assuming that fat = strong).

no, the obesity epidemic is due more to the easy access to junk food and fast food
and the fact that most fast food is cheaper than making it yourself

>If a man is obese, he may even be positively reinforced, being called a "big guy" or have his masculinity reinforced somehow (such as people assuming that fat = strong).
For you

Another thing to consider is that poor people and idiots eat tons of unhealthy shit and see nothing wrong with it. If you go to any grocery store in a low income area you will see parents loading up their carts with trash. Their kids learn to eat the same sort of shit, and the notion of buying meat and vegetables to make dinner becomes alien to them.

youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Everyone who has an hour of spare time should listen to this guy

high fructose corn syrup.

Aside from liquid calories, i've heard that american food is way more greasy and contains more sugar than european food. Like instead of actual bread they eat soft bread that contains more sugar.

>be me
>be america
>queue game
>enter game
>3
>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3
>14
>teammates WTF
>teammates fucking spammer
>meanwhile
>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3>3
>3
>3
>2016
>the story so far

>mfw the system thinks my post is spam

The bread thing is quite true. In Canada, most bread you'll see in the stores is multigrain and made from a variety of wheats and cereals.

In the U.S., I have to go to "health food" stores to look for bread I normally get up here.

I moved to America in 2014 from Yurp and in those two years I became much fatter even though I'm not eating more than I used to. Tgere's definitwly SOMETHING weird about American food.

The Eschaton telling us the body is a prison.

Car culture
Widespread misconception that eating fat makes you fat, leading to replacing with carbs
Heavily subsidized corn leading to everything being stuffed with corn syrup because it's so cheap

Also, processed food industry remaining from WW2, and degradation of culinary appreciation remaining from prohibition

>Widespread misconception that eating fat makes you fat, leading to replacing with carbs

the funny thing is that murricans still eat more fat than their non-fat european brethren

btw I lived in southeast asia for a while and its funny how:

-small the portions are
-how little fat most foods have

I'm talking about everyday food of the people, not restaurant food

High fructose corn syrup + sugar in everything and car culture

Convenience

Post ww2, americans left the cities for the suburbs. They then reshaped everything around the car. So the average american doesn't walk very far in their usual day.

Look at developed countries that are not as fat or thin. They have more people in cities. As a consequence they have to walk and stand more.

Watch Super Size Me

It's not just that they have more people in cities, it's the KIND of city they have.

Even before the suburbs, things had started in America with shaping the cityscape around the automobile.

>tfw shopping at walmart for whatever reason around midnight
>See fat little white, black,and mexican toddlers sipping on their own one liter bottle of mountain dew with their morbidly obese mother pushing a cart full of potato chips, lunchables, soda, and processed premade crap that is both more unhealthy and expensive than stuff like rice and beans, with no fresh produce even though walmart has a large selection of it for a low price

You can only shop at walmart and still be healthy, it's just that people are too lazy to cook and have a disgusting, old, shitty kitchen with a nasty refrigerator, stove, and oven that they never clean.

FDA regulations and jewish companies jumping through hoops to save pennies per product.
Also this, way to much corn in the American diet.

>Post ww2, americans left the cities for the suburbs.

Those were white people actually, but blacks are fatter than whites.

i read about a sort of gene or smthn which tells the body that it's full and the person should stop eating, and this gene thing is sorta becoming extinct. also it's evolutionary, we enjoy food rich in fats and calories because they gave hunters and gatherers energy to hunt and gather. this reward system is still there. never mind the marketing especially in supermarkts, i mean just read some books about this shit nigga, their manipulation intersecting with our acting on impulse leads to us buying that 24x24 cookies box even though we only went there to buy milk

It's not limited to the U.S. And it's due to the easy availability of sugar compared to previous generations

Don't forget the rise of convenience and fast foods, and food preservative/salting and stockpile mindset leftover from the great depression!

I'm a slightly overweight American, but I'm slowly losing weight after selling my car, moving to the city and realizing that everything I buy I have to carry and haul up and down multiple flights of stairs myself from the isle to the fridge. It's kind of how I imagine the urban Europeans do shit. But I may be romanticizing, because they still have obesity problems too, although not nearly as bad as us.

What city?

Manhattan. I grew up and went to school in the OKI general area. Getting internships during school in cities like DC, Baltimore, and NYC changed my life.

Food and its related economy; and a sedentary style of life compared to previous lifestyles.