Highway, free way, or interstate. What do you people call it? Are they all different things...

Highway, free way, or interstate. What do you people call it? Are they all different things? Is this the Veeky Forums equivalent to clip and magazine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled-access_highway
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're all different.

The way I see it, highway and freeway are two different things. The primary difference is that freeways always have controlled access while highways generally don't.

Interstate is an orange to the previous two apples. It's the term for one particular country's system of freeways. Other countries have different names for theirs.

I can see a difference in interstate, but I still call it the highway. Seeing as my big local highway happens to be an interstate. What's freeway vs highway?

Motorway

Speedway

Memeway

R A C E W A Y
A
C
E
W
A
Y

Different things.

Highway - a main road, especially one connecting major towns or cities.

Freeway - a controlled access highway, usually an interstate, but not necessarily.

Interstate - a part of the "interstate highway system"

Drag strip

My question related to this is, do yall pronounce "route" as "root" or "r-ouw-t"?

Autobahn

There's a difference between freeway and highway. A highway can be used to refer to any road of significant length and speed limit, may pass through a residential area or rural area, and may have intersections or points where one must stop.

A freeway is more specifically, a TYPE of highway with a divided road, two or more lanes traveling in each direction, and does not have an intersection affecting movement on said freeway.

So in short, a freeway is a highway, but a highway is not necessarily a freeway.

No one cares about this question except Americans who have so much highway everywhere they feel the need to differentiate

why do americans drive on parkways and park on driveways

Depends on how the person I'm talking to says it. If I have to say it first, I say r-ouw-t.

RT 83 = "Ert eight three"

A question no one can answer.

Expressway?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled-access_highway

I use them interchangeably. Same with data for me.

The only road called an expressway near me is a state-operated freeway.

Well "interstate" just means involving more than one state. In this context it is short for interstate highway.

Motorway.

WANGAN

The weird thing to me is how Californians refer to highways.
>Take 15 over to 29 (Virginia)
>Take the 15 over to the 91 (California)

because a parkway was a road with on street parking

and when cars where invented rich people had to drive a long way to the house for their street

>do you even study language?

Tollbooth hell

Freeway means no traffic signals, and limited access (you need to get onto an on ramp to get on) iirc.

Mostly just call them a parking lot.

Otherwise use the names. Kennedy, Eisenhower, Dan Ryan, 64, 19, 88...

This is a So Cal thing mostly. I think it‘s because so many Highways in LA are 3 digit ones, it's easier to say them as "the four oh five" or whatever.

In Norcal where I live everyone says "highway fifty" or simply "fifty" except for with Interstate 5, which is "eye five".

Freeways/interstates are special types of highways.