What do you think about Tesla in general?

What do you think about Tesla in general?
I've never entered one so I have to rely on what others say.

Some are quite sceptical about their quality (e.g. interior makes noise) and service (long waiting times if something broke). There also is the range topic. Others are really enthusiastic, claiming no ICE car can offer such a driving experience (especially the acceleration). They are also supposed to be more silent and vibration free and of course less smelly with no gas or exhaust.

They're the fastest American cars! Beats your typical Nazi high powered luxury shits & chinks cheap plastic copy catters

They're the wave of the future. We're maybe 5 years out from EVs becoming truly viable for light duty passenger use as far as cost and refinement goes, and another 5-10 years before they become ubiquitous.

Internal combustion engines will stick around but I think 10 years from now your average shitbox is going to be all-electric. We'll probably still see gasoline engines, but they're going to be for applications where the sheer battery size and motor size requirements aren't viable. 18 wheeler EVs right now have a range of maybe 60 miles right now compared to the P100D which has a range of about 315 miles. We'll probably see diesels continue to dominate heavy duty. ICE won't be totally dead but it just won't make any sense to run compared to EVs.

I'm pretty indifferent about Teslas themselves. I get annoyed at the press they get like "Faster than an Italian supercar!" only because of their 0-60. Doesn't talk about how they go into low power mode from overheating at the track. I think the company has and is furthering EV technology and understanding for the good of everyone. I do not think EV will replace all gasoline engines for all time, but will definitely have their own market.

They could stand to add more than one gear ratio and stop overheating

This will only happen if idiots keep making gas more expensive while also giving extremely idiotic electric energy subsidies. You realize that electric cars, in the US (aka the biggest market), are actually coal powered car, right? We're still far, far off from reaching petrol based efficiency. And yes, you can lump solar and wind energy. Only possible if the nuclear sector uncucks itself, making electric energy dirty cheap.

Only Brazil, from the top of my head, produces mostly clean energy.

That's one thing I'm very interested in. I forget the amounts but the US Government has a limit to how much a company can have in subsidies before it stops. When the government backed rebates stop, I'm very interested if Tesla will tank. Getting 7500 or more off is quite an incentive when buying a car, especially when that Model 3 or whatever is getting that in the 35-40k range.

>When the government backed rebates stop, I'm very interested if Tesla will tank. Getting 7500 or more off is quite an incentive when buying a car, especially when that Model 3 or whatever is getting that in the 35-40k range.

They sold so many Model 3s in preorders that they already ran out of subsidies.

Oh man I didn't hear that. Is the limit per company or per model? Because I remember reading it is by the make. This shit is going to get entertaining if it is.

I don't like change.

Coal power is at least 33 per cent efficient in turning thermal energy into power. ICEs max out at around 25%.
It's still more efficient

Is that a theoretical max or what we are seeing today with internal combustion engines? Because the thing about research and development is a new discovery can change things. While I feel like we are hitting a plateau with combustion engines, I also believe there's a chance we haven't quite got them to their full potential either. As much as I hate to admit it, government regulations seemed to have spiked development the past 10 years where we've seen vast improvements than over the past 50 years before it.

It's what we see with efficient modern engines on their own.

I suppose if you add hybrid technology or camless technology that number may go up but without something significant like that it sits at around 25%. The rest of the energy is turned into heat and noise

I personally would like to see flywheel hybrids become a thing for passenger cars. It seems like a cheap and rudimentary technology to implement. I think the only draw back is they can be very noisy. I was watching a video not too long ago about Volvo having one in a prototype passenger car and the technology seems like it would improve efficiency by a considerable amount since a lot of fuel is lost accelerating from a stand still.

Overall though what you said makes sense.

They put a giant tablet and charge you Mercedes S class money for a car that has a scarce interior (fanboys will say minimalist) and the standard garbage build quality American cars have.

In other words, not worth it. Specially when actual good electric and fuel cell cars are going to be made in the upcoming years.

I hate the new Mercedes Benz interiors, but I will agree. The Tesla is quite impressive in almost every way but when I see that interior it kills it for me. I don't just hate touchscreen but hate minimalist interiors.
Give me buttons dammit

tht goes for the model s/x, I might buy a model 3 once they hit second generation and proved to be reliable

>I don't like change.
I really don't. I'm the type of nigga that will daily a carb'd car.
While i don't really care about technological progress, i can't trust lawmakers to not legislate ICE out of existence or force it to >muh trax
Both of which are cancer, fuck >muh trax

A great car manufacturer that has good intentions. I hear working for them in engineering can be tough but they seem to be on the right path. Itll be great to see the impact the model 3 will make. I wish gas companies would implement at least one charging station at their gas stations so they can make some money off of that and so people will feel that they should buy an ev now

Fuck off, let me pollute

They're the first EV manufacture to make electric cars desirable to people outside of electrical engineers and tree huggers. If you're in the market for a large executive car, I can't imagine you that you won't have a look at the Model S or Model X, they're as good as the German cars, or at least close. The only problem is that electric cars require compromise. Around here there is one stage two charger in the service station that you can't even use right now because the car park it was in is under construction. I guess if you buy a Tesla it's not so bad because you're committed to it, you don't mind paying for a supercharger in your house.

But outside of Tesla, and especially when the Model 3 goes on sale, you have the problem of moving the unwashed masses with electric cars. You'll have to offer something in the car that can offset the point that you will have to live your life around how much charge you have. I see a few Renault Zoe's and Nissan Leaf's around, which is at the point you have to ask about the practical implications for a £20k car.

But what they're doing will work out in the end, it has to. We can make displacement smaller and more efficient and still have good performance for petrol and diesel, but people will want electric cars, because once infrastructure and pricepoints are on par with an equivalent fuel powered car, people will shift en masse. Tbh, I feel most people won't own cars in 25 years, in the traditional sense. Owning a car will be hobby, for people who like cars, who see cars as more than a mode of personal transportation.