10%+ of drivers refuse to turn on their lights until it's pitch black and they can't see the road without them

>10%+ of drivers refuse to turn on their lights until it's pitch black and they can't see the road without them
>they somehow don't realize that makes them about as visible as a ghost to the rest of traffic when it's rainy or dusk

Lots of manufacturers started using automatic and/or always-on headlights in the early 2000s which could actually help with this. Why did they stop?

They stopped? Ecery new car has DRLs

I see tons of 2010+ cars with no lights on at all. I drove a 2013 Camry which had an off position on the headlight switch that turned off the DRLs, and then the auto option where it keeps the DRLs on and then switches to the full headlights when it gets dark.

My old 2000 Camry only had auto/park/on. No off.

A good chunk of people are too stupid to even leave the headlights to "auto" so they leave them off all the time.

Fuck this. I hate this. Also blindlingly bright headlights too. Good thing you can see, maybe I can't now.

It has to do with instrument clusters always being lit up

>my dash is lit so lights must be on
>oh fuck I can't see now how do you turn the lights on again?

it's illegal in my country to drive without lights

My bike has a DRL and it's a 2001. But the bike stayed completely unchanged from 1986. Ninja 250 life. Kawi thinking ahead about stopping me from getting pasted.

Yeah I think all street legal bikes in the US have come with always-on lights since the 80s or something. It definitely makes a huge difference for bikes to have the headlight on, even in the daytime.

>I see tons of 2010+ cars with no lights on at all. I drove a 2013 Camry which had an off position on the headlight switch that turned off the DRLs, and then the auto option where it keeps the DRLs on and then switches to the full headlights when it gets dark.
I believe this is because the instrument cluster is backlit anytime the ignition is on. Before, you'd know to turn on the headlamps because you had difficulty reading the gauges. It was an extra check to know if the lights were on or not.

People who don't turn their lights on in the rain or even on a cloudy day need the Reginald Denny treatment.

Emissions and mpgs

Lights constantly on lowers mpgs by 0,05 and are thus turned off unless driver thinks it's neccecary

Super horrible in my country where it rains all the time and people drive without backlights.

Fucking mpgs

Fuck em. I'd argue it's a million times more important to be able to see people.

Illegal just to have them turned off or is it just illegal if you don't have them at all?

Just wait for the electric cars and everyone trying to save every picoamp

>Lights constantly on lowers mpgs by 0,05 and are thus turned off unless driver thinks it's neccecary
Hey! That's not selfish at all :-)

not him but in most eastern european countries your lights must be on 24/7

how do you keep your battery charged while you're not driving?

Plugs the battery into the wall

Why would you leave the lights on when you're not driving?

>this has to be bait.
This applies when driving.
you can go drive at 10AM with sun shining but your lights must be on.

IDK but user said it's the law.

Do they also drive around without their windshield wipers on to save energy?

You're not funny.

that's okay. I live for (you)s

If you can't see cars when there's an overcast in the middle if the day without there lights on, I'd argue you shouldn't be even driving.

I see.

>be driving on the highway
>pouring rain
>surrounded by cars with lights on
>see a blur in my rearview
>don't think much if it
>take a second look a bit later
>it's a fucking grey SUV no lights
He might as well have been invisible. Easily could have contributed to an accident.

Cars are harder to see when it's cloudy. Especially if they're gray, white or neutral colors. That doesn't mean that I'm blind, you lazy cunt.

>get in car
>turn key to start engine
>activate headlights
how is it not just automatic to do it?

and how do literally half the chevrolet trucks/vans/suv's have 1 headlight out?

>overcast
>wearing sunglasses because it's that fun kind of thin overcast that somehow makes the sun brighter
>do quick headcheck
>miss a grey car with their lights off
>almost pull into road but stop myself as I see motion

in my state you must have your headlights on an hour after sunset until an hour before sunrise, and you must have foglights/headlights on when its raining or foggy

>and they can't see the road without them

No. It's because they can see just fine in dim light and forget to turn their lights on. Lights at dusk are more so other people can see you.

I thought this was law everywhere but I've never seen it enforced. Even state police here drive around in their grey chargers in rain or after sunset without their headlights on.

that's the entire point of this thread. Read it again
>refuse to turn on their lights until ... they can't see without them
>this makes them invisible to the rest of traffic

The human eye is attracted to color differences and not so much motion. Grey cars on very overcast days are easy to miss with a quick glance.

>'98 Wrangler
>driving along at night
>somewhat desolate country highway in the midwest
>no cars ahead
>push lever forward to turn brights on
>absolute darkness
>headlights completely turn off
>FFUUUUUCCCCKKK
>throwing lever forward and back
>only get a couple flickers of light
>start slowing down
>continue jiggling switch
>low beams finally come back on and stay on
>unclench butt hole
>make it to destination
>remove selector switch the next day
>disassemble
>contacts inside are charred black
>welltheresyourproblem
Probably had something to do with getting caught in the rain with the top down a couple of days prior.

And grey/silver are very popular colors

>Jeep
>quality materials