In the winter of 1450 a ravenous army of wolves invaded Paris

>In the winter of 1450 a ravenous army of wolves invaded Paris
>The beasts terrorized the people and devoured over 40 men, women, and children
>Citizens waged battle against the canines and succeeded in luring them into the center of the city where they were slain with makeshift weapons and stones, the leader of the pack being defeated in front of Notre Dame Cathedral

>In WWI a pack of man eating wolves were so bloodthirsty that the Russians and Germans called a temporary truce to rid themselves of the creatures

Were european wolves always so vicious? Or did some aspect of european culture make them this way?

I even read somewhere about europeans building raised roadside platform shelters from wolves

American wolves are pretty chill in comparison

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Indo-European/h₂ŕ̥tḱos
youtube.com/watch?v=QyOmINdSgHw
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/08/0821_030821_straydogs.html
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-08-21/abandoned-dogs-roam-detroit-in-packs-as-humans-dwindle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramree_Island
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>European Wolves
Wolves are just vicious. Full stop. Its a pack of predatory animals for sakes.

In China, wolves & tigers were quite the hassle, that the it was a civic duty to alert villages of any pack/pride close by.

Said villages then arm up and go after them similar to the way said militias arm up and go after bandits.

In addition, some chinese weapons evolved out of animal control campaigns, like the Wolf Lance, Wolf Club, and the Tiger Fork,

Wolves are known to form super-packs in times of desperation and just run down anything in their way, even humans.
When times are plentiful for the wolves they leave humans alone out of fear.

It could be that America still has vast swathes of uninhabited land so the wolves rarely interact with humans, whereas they are always close by in Europe

>Wolves are known to form super-packs in times of desperation and just run down anything in their way
[insert political joke here]

>Germans are known to form Warsaw-pacts in times of desperation and just get run down by anything in their way

Even better.

During Winter 1914/1915 Austrian Chief of Staff ordered several offensives in Carpathian mountain ranges. Offensives in mountains during winter, yes, that's what he wanted. Oh, I forgot to mention that enormous amount of rotting bodies being the result of those offensives attracted wolf packs from whole region, it was so bad that the wounded often had to fight for their lives with wolves before the help arrived.

The Beast of Gévaudan massacred over over 200 people in 18th century France

>desire to know more intensifies

Just read a little about this beast
>killed a by a blessed silver bullet made by Jean Chastel
Is this the origin of
>silver kills werewolves
Or was that myth the reason he made the bullet?

>Were european wolves always so vicious?
Not anymore they're not. Because they were exterminated by humans. Except for some 10+ strong pack kept in a preservation somewhere in Spain.

European wolves and asian tigers (not countries -- actual ass tigers that used to live across entirety of Asia) were pushed by deforestation and man claiming their hunting grounds until they went extinct

> American wolves are pretty chill
more territory still unoccupied by humans

Small factoid, some ten years ago wild she-wolf has appeared and was shot on university grounds where i worked at the time. It was a during hard winter and it couldn't find deer in the nearby steppes -- because those are dying out as well.

There's about 250 wolves in Finland still and the amount is growing, until hunters start illegally culling them again.

It makes me quite sad to see them shrink in number.
No animal gives me quite so much terror as a wolf, and that's the reason i love them
Fucking boss animals

Dayum

Locals and hunters claimed it could shrug off bullets. Some claimed it was a servant of the devil. It would even attack multiple times per day without even eating victims. The wolf knew how to avoid hunters and strike when need be.

>>In WWI a pack of man eating wolves were so bloodthirsty that the Russians and Germans called a temporary truce to rid themselves of the creatures

needs to be a movie

I watched a few docus on it, it was probably a hyena brought from Africa as a pet and got loose. Also, silver is fucking terrible for bullets, it fires extremely inaccurately and much weaker, it had to be fired from a very close distance for it to be a killing shot.

The theory the guys proposed was that some guy bought a hyena, trained it (they're trainable, just google it) to attack people and eventually killed it. This explains how he managed to kill it, he thought it to stand still which allowed him to fire from a close distance and kill it. The historic description of the corpse and stuffed display (which was brought to the king of France of that time) give away as a hyena.

There are still few pack of wolves here in Serbia, they are only extinct in lowlands

There is still Wolves in parts of France,Germany,Italy and Scandinavia plus most of Eastern Europe plus i think they are spreading because they were spotted in the Netherlands last year and this was the first sighting of Wolves there in 150 years.

2spook

By only the trauma they've imprinted on European seniors, you learn a lot about the fears that Europeans had about those creatures once.

My grandmother is vividly outspoken against re-introducing wolves in the french alps for example and she's not the only elder person with those views.

Watch Brotherhood of the Wolves. [spoiler]It's basically Bloodborne the film.[/spoiler]

In several European branches of Indo-European languages the word for wolf went under taboo-deformation (same process that produced God/Gosh, hell/heck in English), because apparently people were afraid uttering its name would summon it

Proto-Indo-Euroepan *wĺ̥kʷos
Proto-Germanic *wulfaz (expected **wulhwaz)
Latin lupus (expected **volquus)

The Irish inherited term olc means evil, and they used various euphemisms to refer to wolves, such as mac tíre "son of the land", madra alla "wild dog"

My unlimited contribution of rabid wolves to congress is protected free speech.

That art is boss. Image searched. the artist is wang kewei. all his shit is as cool as his first name.

>In WWI a pack of man eating wolves were so bloodthirsty that the Russians and Germans called a temporary truce to rid themselves of the creatures
You ever read War Land on the Eastern Front? Germans thought the eastern front was 2spooky for them. Apparently, Lithuanians were still like Wicker Man isolated, and patrols at night were worried about werewolves and witches.

Eventually, this wore down the Germans sanity meter, making them form the most bizarre freikorps.

>depopulation due to black death
>wolves having the taste of blood from feeding on dead
>increase in wildlife due to decrease in human population

>>Germans are known to form Warsaw-pacts

It's stories like this that makes me absolutely terrified for wolves

>when a limp wristed vegan yank asks why we exterminated these hell beasts

Anyone else learned about the Gevaudan beast from this book?

Sounds a bit far fetched

>Not anymore they're not. Because they were exterminated by humans.

Eastern Europe and Finland still has a shit ton of wolves.

>it was probably a hyena brought from Africa as a pet

lol

#notallhyenas

>polandball overrun by werewolves

This is some Vampire Hunter D tier shit my niggas.

>werewolves

Nigga wut

Kurwa...

N-Nothing

There's no werewolves in Polan

Everything is of fine

Now go home, pay your taxes, and stop bringing silver here

Only a small portion of Poland has werewolves, what the fuck are you on about?

Go have some fun in Belarus.

Heh, no kidding. Their theory about the motives of the guy was that because of the locals' disillusionment with the church (it was several years prior to the French rev), the local church conspired with some guy to train a hyena and attack, while he'd keep it in his shed or something (this explains why there were never traces nor evidences when hunters en masse searched for it, iirc the hunt was even on behalf of the king), and make people turn to God and the church for protection. Eventually the church gave him the que to kill it so he made some bs story about blessing bullets (I think?) and shooting it. They guy got royalties and a monument in his village.

So yeah could be complete bs.

Wasn't prince Vladimir of Kiev allegedly a werewolf?

And Herodotus said all of the Balts/Slavs were werewolves too

Thread kinda taking a turn towards /x/...

There were no Slavs around Herodotus' times.

I don't know about wolves, but the vampire myth basically originates in Slavic lands. Even the word vampire is of Slavic origin.

I mean the people of ancient northeast europe

He said they had the tendency to turn into wolves

In the fairytales he's a werewolf

The legend was more like "hurr hurr he used to be a pagan wizard"

Bears were treated similarly. The farther north you go in Europe the more likely you are to have the actual word for bear replaced by something that means "Demon". "Bear" itself derives from this.

Bears are scary as fuck. Thing is a healthy man can fuck up a wolf without guns (assuming the wolf is alone), but a bear will completely maul you.

Oh yeah, you're right. I got confused.

>bylacheekibreeki overrun by werewolves

Cybla!

>The English word "bear" comes from Old English bera and belongs to a family of names for the bear in Germanic languages that originate from an adjective meaning "brown"

But they are wolves not werewolves.

>animal behavior
>affected by human culture

>Were european wolves always so vicious? Or did some aspect of european culture make them this way?

Top quality shitpost

>implying otherwise
>what are dogs?

Not demon

More like "brown one" and "honey eater"

He probably meant this: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Indo-European/h₂ŕ̥tḱos

But yeah the Germanic word bear means brown.

Belarus is getting FURRED

>Belarus and Russia
>completely green
>COMPLETELY
>wolves running around the streets of capital cities

That looks like a slightly darker bear wearing a lighter bear mask.

Well we got coyotes running around the streets of our cities in Murrica so that's not even shocking to me.

Have you ever seen a coyote running around Times Square?

Wolves are vicious in general

I think the issue in Europe was the population, even then populations were really widespread and habitat loss/over hunting meant there wasn't a lot for pod for wolves, so they were forced to prey on livestock and people.

In North America populations are more concentrated for the most part and there are still wide open wild spaced with wildlife for them, though in the past wolves here were in trouble
Now they are only just returning to the East

No but I see plenty here in Phoenix, in urban areas.

>In Vilna (now Vilnius), then in Russia, in 1891.The bear was large but tame, but it had a taste for vodka. One day it bustled into a village tavern and grabbed a keg of vodka. The owner of the inn, Isaack Rabbanovitch, objected, and tried to snatch it back.

>It would be an understatement to say this was an error. In the chaotic scenes that ensued the infuriated animal hugged to death the tavern keeper, then did the same to his two sons and daughter. The villagers found the drunken animal asleep on the floor in a pool of blood and alcohol, surrounded by its victims. The bear was immediately shot.

youtube.com/watch?v=QyOmINdSgHw

European wolves still live in the alps/in Italy and Spain, they are spreading once more because of better environmental controls

>Alaskanbadasskillinggrizzlyplaque.jpg

Nan, silver was always known as an antibiotic, people just called it holy back then

>Jewish Russians
And nothing of value was lost.

The Massai people are so feared by African wildlife the animals can even recognize their language

Lions have been known to flee for their lives from Maasai lolis

I wouldn't call "Penis" a cool first name

>Jews literally so cheap they attack a bear over a bottle of vodka

Meanwhile

In Russia

Jew wizard later sic'd 40 humans on the cubs

it is russian thing, Russians would risk life for bottle of vodka

The guy was Jewish.

Apologize

any true Russian, jew or no jew, would fight bear to death for bottle of vodka

Fuck no man, there are even wolves here in Denmark now where they have been extinct for 200 years

No they wouldn't you fuckwit. They're actually very hospitable when it comes to this sort of stuff and will split the last drops with you.

Spotted the dumbass American suburbanite who gets all of his European cultural info from /int/ memes.

Once they are drunk they will share their vodka and krokodil. Take too much and they will slit your throat while you sleep.

Stupid cuck rusfag

>posted from my iPhone while listening to Kanye on my Beats by Dre at Starbucks

They're also probably not running around your backyards eating your dogs.

those things are ripoff cuck. You can get cheaper and better headphones you dumfuck

You see the mainly in the southwest in place like L.A. In some of the most derelict parts of the Midwest and in cities such as Detroit and St. Louis you have packs of feral dogs that have attacked people and live inside the many uninhabited properties.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-08-21/abandoned-dogs-roam-detroit-in-packs-as-humans-dwindle

You see them mainly in the Southwest in places like L.A. In some of the most derelict parts of the Midwest and in cities such as Detroit and St. Louis you have packs of feral dogs that have attacked people and live inside the many uninhabited properties.

Dog hybrids are most dangerous

>cheaper
>better

lol

thisbe the extinct mexican bear?

The old Norse word for murderer is wolf

Well no but gypsies are running around backyards stealing dogs and i still don't fear them as much as wolves.
I think its just the primal fear they instill in humans that makes me respect them so much

Sort of

Eurasian wolf. The Eurasian wolf.
Here is the thing, the continental version was literally exterminated during the 1800s.
The Soviet wolf, which got reintroduced during the 1900s, is a lot tamer.
Humans also foraged the entire countryside in a different way before. Now there is actually dense forests outside of population centers, and it might keep the wolves more docile.

How old is that picture? There's photo evidence of at least one lone wolf taking a stroll through an industrial area here in the Netherlands, with more unconfirmed sightings reported.

What made the european one so dangerous then?

Found the werewolf

>Detroit is such a shithole that it's getting overrun by wild dogs.

Not even suprised

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramree_Island

"That night [of the 19 February 1945] was the most horrible that any member of the M. L. [motor launch] crews ever experienced. The scattered rifle shots in the pitch black swamp punctured by the screams of wounded men crushed in the jaws of huge reptiles, and the blurred worrying sound of spinning crocodiles made a cacophony of hell that has rarely been duplicated on earth. At dawn the vultures arrived to clean up what the crocodiles had left.... Of about one thousand Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about twenty were found alive."

My cousin RayRay said the dogs are so bold now they've started claiming houses and driving off the squatters

IIRC this was in the Guinness Book of World record for worst casualties of any military unit by ratio.

>Working in Sweden building a new rollercoaster with a bunch of other guys
>Only a few Swedish guys there, most of us are Irish or American
>There's a zoo next to our building lot, or rather one of the edges of the enclosures runs along the side of our lot
>It's where the wolves are
>Working late again, stay on a little while to save us trouble in the morning
>Packing up our gear into to the truck
>Turn around and see a single wolf standing in the dark on the other side of the fence, watching me
>Spooky, but pretty fuckin neato
>Take a picture
>Turn to put the rest of the stuff back in the truck
>When I get in the truck and look out my window there's about 15 more wolves standing alongside it, all staring at me
>This was the least scary wolf-related incident of the trip

Fucking terrifying.
Furfags who obsess over these hellhounds need to be shown the reality of them

>Talking to some of the guys who work at the zoo near us
>Tell us about how apparently the wolves killed a keeper in 2012 inside the enclosure
>"You know how you see some wildlife enclosure animals kind of under control by a particular keeper? As in, they aren't tame but they won't kill them?"
>"These ones are just fucking wild. Nobody can get near them. If one gets sick or hurt we can't really go near it unless the others leave it well alone."
>One day I'm up one of the higher loops on the roller coaster helping fit some new beams
>I look down at one point to see my friend sitting on a log having his lunch, the fence to his back
>On the other side of the fence there's a hedge
>On the other side of that hedge, about 8 wolves all standing still as stone staring at him
>When we're all bored and drunk that night we come back up to the site to get some of the food from the mess room
>My friend decides to try throwing some food to the wolves who are watching nearby
>They ignore all the food he throws and just keep staring
>Walking up or down the fence makes them follow you without a sound, and without looking away for even a second
>Found out the next day that on nights when we were working on the site, the wolves barely touched the food given to them by keepers until long after we left

I work in one of those dark green areas and there are wolves around. Found a little pupper a while back, seems to be a light mix of wolf and shepherd dog. Apparently those that do come from mixes of wolf and dog tend to be more vicious and bold than purebreeds.