Is it cringe to have a roll cage , bucket seats and a harness if I don't track my car?

Is it cringe to have a roll cage , bucket seats and a harness if I don't track my car?

I commute 3 days a week through a mountain pass, which is why I think it would be a pretty good investment.

Any recommendations?

>Is it cringe to have a roll cage , bucket seats and a harness if I don't track my car?
Yes to 2/3.

A roll cage is a good way to whack your head in an accident when you're not wearing a helmet.
"Bucket seats" aren't a big deal, get new ones if you want.
A harness requires the bad idea roll cage, or a worse idea bolt-in harness bar.

>I commute 3 days a week through a mountain pass, which is why I think it would be a pretty good investment.
Go slower, you shouldn't be going 10/10 on your morning commute.

>A roll cage is a good way to whack your head in an accident when you're not wearing a helmet.
A properly designed roll cage will put the bars far enough away that you can't hit your head on it unless your restraints fail completely. Pic related is good, although I'd be a little concerned with the main hoop being so far forward.
>"Bucket seats" aren't a big deal, get new ones if you want.
Good, brand name composite seats are good. EBay trash, aluminum seats, and containment seats are not okay for a street car.
>A harness requires the bad idea roll cage, or a worse idea bolt-in harness bar.
Harnesses aren't safe except with a head and neck restraint, which requires a helmet to function.

Is it cringe? Who gives a shit? You're the one paying insurance on the thing and gassing it up; it's your choice.

I had a 1997 Integra Type-R that was turbo'd. I took it to track days as well as DD.

My car interior was completely gutted to accommodate a proper weld in roll cage. The roll cage was then heavily padded. I had two front Recaro seats and two 4-point harnesses that were properly anchored, but NEVER used the harnesses for daily driving as they are too dangerous. 4-point harnesses really hold you in place, thus not allowing the driver to shift in the seat to check blind spots/mirrors when merging and changing lanes on public roads. If you decide to cage and go with harnesses, set it up properly by following whatever governing race organization you're getting into like SCCA, NHRA etc. etc. + common sense and retain the OEM seat belts and you should be good.

No, general populace won't know any better and most car guys will have more respect for it than the types ricing their shitboxes. Some venues require a cage so even a car you track a few times a year may need it

Good idea if you plan on driving like a madman and you think you'll need it. It's only cringe if you wear a helmet.

How often do you want to get pulled over by police so they can see if your car is actually road worthy?
because they see a roll cage and instantly want it off the road.

the fuck kind of track requires a cage you tripfag
another tripfag gets first post best post

Where the fuck do you live?

Yes

>installs roll cage
>recaro seats
>4-point harnesses
>4 point

It's nice you're comfy but I know as per the current regs scca, nasa, pca, bmw club, and several track day groups in the mid Atlantic won't let you on track with those. 5 point minimum if you install a harness.

>harnesses aren't safe without HANS
HANS is truly great, but to say a harness alone is unsafe is seriously false. Typically the prevailing wisdom is you shouldn't have a harness without a cage, but even that has been quite overblown.

I'd take an incident in a properly installed harness over a 3 point factory belt any day.

Are you serious m8? A harness greatly increases your chances of neck injury over a 3 point belt if you don't use adequate head and neck restraints.

>cage can cause head injury
Ever sat in the back seat of a small coupe?
>c pillar is touching your head no matter what
>every bump makes you smack your head
>get in crash and die instantly

>plastic-covered pillar specifically designed with crash testing where dummies hit their heads
>it's the same as a chromoly steel tube I swer!

>mfw I'm 6'7" and can't fit in the back of just about any car.

Why would you?

>mfw 5'2
>never have to worry about hitting my head on roll bar if I'm strapped down good.

MANLET MASTER RACE

>FWD
>transmission tunnel

>what is an exhaust

i personally dont mind much, at least with a small 4 or 6 point bolt on cage i would be happy.

Would it be cringe? sure. And it would be very uncomfortable, same with bucketseats and harnesses seat belts, but even as a DD there is never too much safety.

>mfw i am 5'7'' but i like low and small cars
>mfw no face

*exhaust tunnel

5'7 is still gud for most cars. Just thank God you aren't a lanklet.

People over 5'10 instantly snap their necks when they roll over

If you have a convertible not really, might come in handy in an unexpected situation.

>tfw racing is the only sport where being shorter gives you a noticeable advantage whether it's cars, bikes, or even horses
>mfw laughing at lanklet friends who can't fit in small enjoyable sports cars

>exhaust tunnel

>supposed advantage of fwd is no drivetrain hump
>cancel it out by adding an exhaust hump

It's good to have when your car is low.

>doesn't want an aerodynamic underside
Stay pleb my friend, stay pleb.