Buy first car ever

>buy first car ever
>test drive, drive home from dealer no problems
>next morning two Engine Control Malfunction lights come on

They go off when I start the engine. Is that normal or did the dealer push a shitbox on me? I honestly don't know shit about cars and the manual isn't clear if the warnings apply only when the engine is running or also when only the electricals are on.

I'll be driving there next week for some paperwork but I want to know how to talk to them about it.

New 2016 Golf TSI 1.8 btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUPgWIGqac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>insert check engine light always on Volkswagen joke

THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO FUCKING BE ON WHEN THE CAR IS SET TO ON BUT THE ENGINE ISN'T RUNNING

NU MALE

>brand new VW
>christmas tree dash

I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty normal for a VW. You'll get used to it.

>CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
Nowhere in the fucking manual does it say that those two lights are supposed to be on when the car (but not the engine) is on and believe it or not I actually did READ THE FUCKING MANUAL. So chill.

Ok, so is that a known thing/meme then I have nothing to worry about?

no, most new cars turn on these lights for a short period time as a sort of check up so the ECU knows everything is working when you turn the key into ACC mode.

>Ok, so is that a known thing/meme then I have nothing to worry about?

no you're just retarded, every car does this. is this your first car?

>most new cars turn on these lights for a short period time
They didn't go off after some 10 minutes though, both on cold engine and after driving. They only go off when I start the engine.
All status/warning lights light up when I turn the key into ACC, but all except those two go off after a couple seconds.

>is this your first car?
Yes, I said so in the OP.

But have you ever driven a car before this one? Seriously everyone knows this bro. Pls read your owners manual btw

check engine lights are always on in volkswagens because they're always broken, straight off the dealer lot even

don't buy it op

haha wow i can't believe OP didn't know this. yes the lights come on when the engine isn't running. there's nothing wrong.

I always thought every car did this, either to make sure the lights are working or as some sort of startup check.
Every car I have ever owned and driven has done this.

Have you never driven a car before, or are you just not very observant?

buddy
its for you to make sure the bulbs work, they go off when its running because they work.

Fucking retard.

All cars also do this so that you know used cars haven't had the Check Engine Light bulb torn out. Someone peddling a lemon with engine issues might be tempted take the bulb out or black the light out. Highly illegal, but if the buyer isn't observant, could go unpunished.
As everyone's yelling at you for, Car 101 OP.

>But have you ever driven a car before this one?
Last time 20 years ago and it was a car rather than a fucking computer on wheels back then.

>Pls read your owners manual btw
>"When the ignition is switched on, several warning and indicator lights come on briefly for a function check. They go out after a few seconds."
That's all the manual says about it, and I did check all relevant sections.

>don't buy it op
TOO TOO LATE

>I always thought every car did this, either to make sure the lights are working or as some sort of startup check.
That's why they all go on for a few secs, but why do those specific two stay on.

>All cars also do this so that you know used cars haven't had the Check Engine Light bulb torn out.
Fair enough, but as I said, just the few seconds when all bulbs go on would be sufficient, so two engine warning lights from like 20+ others staying on are surely worrying me.

>As everyone's yelling at you for, Car 101 OP.
I accept that it is and I'm clueless about cars, but it would be nice if the manual explained that Car 101 to me like to a retarded child.

You must be new. Here's a 2001 Jetta as soon as the ignition is switched on

Yes that is fine. All cars do this with the ignition in the ACC position just to verify that the diagnostics system is working.

Now if these lights were to come on when you're driving then you need to contact the dealer.

How does it look 10 second, 1 minute, 5 minutes later?

Everything turns off a few seconds after start up, unless you leave the cruise control switch on and the parking brake engaged.

Yes, it's a known thing. Literally every car and motorcycle will show some variation of a check engine/oil warning light if you turn on the power but not the engine

You're so fucking stupid holy shit

Cars from the 70's (my old dart for example) had the idiot lights come on when you turn the key to the accessories position. Every single fucking car has this. Are you the kind of person to go and get a plumber because your shower water takes a minute to warm up in the morning? Are you the kind of person to ask why your toilet makes noise when flushing? Are you the kind of person to buy a new pencil sharpener when it takes the end off of a pencil?

FUCK YOU. Where is your father? Who failed to teach you these things?

toasting I an epic bread

>20 years ago
Good morning OP, bostings from a 20-year old car.
1/2

2/2

Well there you go. How many fucking times do I need to repeat that the two lights in my OP pic stay on no matter how long I wait, as opposed to the ALL lights (as in pic) that go off after a few seconds of going into ACC mode.

>Where is your father? Who failed to teach you these things?
He's dead and we never spoke when he was alive.

I have a 2016 1.8 TSI, long version: it's supposed to do this, if it doesn't THEN you have a problem, or if they don't go off after you start it up. Short version, you're retarded.

Get VAG-COM and check what it tells as the faults. If ACC is on, some lights will stay on forever, such as the CE. If they go away when the engine starts, nothing is wrong. If something is still wrong when the engine starts, you will hear audible beepity boops as the car cries about it. Does your car cry?

I know retarded is Veeky Forums for uninformed so I appreciate your explanation.

Nope, no cries when the engine's on and the lights go away.

If this means that everything is fine then fuck VW for designing it that way and for not explaining it clearly in the manual that the lights that normally mean "have your engine checked by service immediately" are supposed to stay on even when there is no engine fault.

Fuck, call this Car 101 and call me retarded for not knowing, but this is fucking faulty user interface design.

When you only turn to ABC, sensors still turn on, but engine doesn't, so sensors think something is wrong. At least that's the way I was taught. Also, check out this video at 1:02: m.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUPgWIGqac

Enjoy your golf, I'm 2000 miles in and loving every minute.

Fucking POS autocorrected twice after I fixed it, turned to ACC, not fucking abc

Thanks user, it's a damn sweet car and fits my bill just right.

Appreciate all the help ITT and sorry for being a hopeless auto noob.

Nobody's born a master, don't woray. Enjoy the VAGina

>what is a gauge check for 500, alex
Also,
>Being concerned about buying a shitbox when the model year is 2016

Cmon op

Sage this because main question answered.

Thanks m8.

>Being concerned about buying a shitbox when the model year is 2016
Hey, I'm inexperienced but not stupid and I know it's the dealer's job to fuck me over selling me the shittiest car on the lot for the highest price. Glad there don't seem to be any problems with it 100 miles in so far.

Forgot to say, I don't know how old the car I've driven 20 years ago was back then, but I'm pretty sure it didn't have a single piece of electronics in it.

That's normal, you dip.

>test drive, drive home from dealer no problems
>next morning two Engine Control Malfunction lights come on
you got hacked
dealer is try to rip you off
either that or the sensors are faulty
>buying new...

Did you read the thread?

You're retarded kys

Kill yourself as soon as possible please.

>Volkswagen

Don't worry OP, nobody on Veeky Forums knows anything about cars. You're not the only one.

>this thread