/pog/ - don't forget to bump edition

Welcome to /pog/, the place to talk about all things Porsche! Current, future, or previous owners welcome. if you have questions, one of us probably has answers.

How do I Porsche?
(Prices are in USD and represent a sorted used car.)

>Air Cooled 911?
$20K+ SC
$30k+ 3.2 Carrera
$30k+ 964
$50k+ 993

>Water Cooled 911?
$20k+ 996
$30+ 997
$60k+ 991

>Boxster
$7k+ 986
$14k+ 986 S
$20k+ 987 (+$2-5k for Cayman)
$25k+ 987 S (+$2-5k for Cayman)

Based 944
>$5000 N/A
>$10,000 Tarbo
*Disclaimer: You can buy a 944 for under a grand, but the overwhelming consensus in the community is that sorted cars cost ~$5k... so if you buy that car for under a grand when you're done it'll be around or over $5k. YMMV.

>928
$8k+

>968
$12k+

If you are a regular poster who's car is not included in the OP, drop a photo in the thread and remind me to add it to the photo.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lTkNPYOEGjw
clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-04.htm
autowereld.nl/porsche/944/2-5-s-coupe-9764410/details.html
nmi.craigslist.org/cto/5680814714.html
scranton.craigslist.org/cto/5759046873.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Want to get an early N/A watercooled 911/Boxster but are afraid of the infamous IMS issue? Well I'm gonna try to change your mind

>What is an IMS
The intermediate shaft has been present on Porsche flat 6 engines ever since the original air cooled 911 all the way up to the 9x7.1 generation 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters
It's used to indirectly drive the camshafts and is in charge of engine timing

>What goes wrong?
The IMS itself is perfectly fine, the problem was when Porsche switched to watercooled engines they needed a bearing on the flywheel side of the engine, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to use a sealed bearing with a lifetime grease
What happens over time to a small handful of these bearings is that the grease dries out and it fails, causing the IMS to throw the timing out of sync and grenade the entire engine in seconds
The bearing on the opposite side is lubricated by engine oil and has never been known to fail

>How often to these fail?
Engines from '97-'99 use a robust dual row bearing that has a failure rate of less than 1%, it's the engines made from '00-'04 that use a weak single row bearing that has a failure rate as high as 10%
But don't worry just yet, general consensus is that if the bearing in your car is faulty it would have failed before 40k miles
In addition the best way to keep it healthy is to actually drive your car like a Porsche should be driven; low mileage garage queens are more prone to failure

>How much would this cost me to repair?
If you have a higher mileage car I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your car has a dual row bearing
Fixes include:
>replacing the bearing with a new OEM part - $100
>IMS Guardian - $400
>replacing the bearing with an aftermarket ceramic bearing - $600
>removing the seal and adding a flange that directly feels engine oil to the bearing - $800
The last option is the only true way to fix the problem, but I personally don't feel any of this is necessary

and it's not a proper thread without this feller.

last /pog/ meet up went well boyos

Just rolled over 90k. Brakes and window regulator done, tires and plugs next. Also, check engine light for cats/O2 sensor... Not a cheap car to upkeep, but well worth it.

swap ls1

it takes an afternoon and 500 bucks

Maybe if the IMS ever decides to die. Or a 3.8 and double down.

Cut out the cats >:^)

When was this?

> (You)
>Cut out the cats >:^)

I wish. But alas, California.

>tfw people are including my write up as a part of the thread
I've made it in life, gents

It's a good one, thanks!

Pic is from vir yesterday

and another

Is the new Panamera any good?

The Panamera was always good, it just looked ugly

They made minor visual tweaks to the new one to make it look leagues better

Almost at 40k in my 991, preparing my anus for the major service coming up.

>Dealership: $1,500
>Extremely well regarded Independent shop: $950

Thank god I just got a $12/hr raise today.

does that include new plugs and coils?
cuz if it doesn't then just get the oil changed, change the filters and have a look for anything leaking or broken. have a look in your manual for whats involved, its really not bad.

the stretched 911 proportions are still hideous

The rear windshield and C-pillar slope should be more like the Cayman's notchback. Then it would look more like a sedan but still distinctively Porsche.

>tfw you have to go to she shop to pick up some parts.
It was like a family reunion for my car.

Yes, belts too.

Yea, then I'd say that's a fairly typical cost. Use the indie, it will pay dividends in the long run.

I actually need to go to the local stealership to pick up a part I ordered, then a trip to the Home Depot for an o ring

>idle control valve gasket - $4
>throttle body position sensor o ring only sold with a new throttle body position sensor - $270

At least the parts guy was pretty chill, he just tile me straight up before telling me the price that I wasn't going to buy it

Just hit 150k. Put in new k&n air filter, noticeable difference.

It's looks like a normal car now instead of a long 911

Done any major upkeep? What car btw

>need to drop your engine to do any kind of service, bro

On the 911s it's like 6 bolts and ancillary removal.

No major upkeep, the clutch was just done before I got it, just did oil, rear tires, and new air filter. Couple people looked it over and said its doing great for the mileage. No leaks, no weird noises, solid performance.

user I'm still so jealous of you

What was it, like $13k?

Ok /pog/ I am experiencing a weird problem with my 944 and I figured someone on here could help. In 1st 2nd and 3rd gear when at around 3k rpm there is a strange whining noise coming from the back of the car. I jacked up the back of the car and spun the wheels, and I'm thinking the noise was coming from the diff. The option sheet I have from 1983 says the car has an LSD, but the rear wheels spin independently. So my theory is either the clutches are shot on the lsd, or it is swapped with an open diff for some reason.

You are on the right track, although the 944 gearbox is a bit Whiny in general. Lift the rear and spin the wheels again. If they spin in opposite directions your diff is functioning as an open diff. If you want to verify that the trans is an original trans you'll need a telescoping mirror or camera to see the top of the bell housing where the code is stamped.

15k. Plus I redid the entire sound system with hertz and shit. Sounds amazing.

Nice. And it came with the hardtop which is a sweet bonus

My wheels do spin opposite directions when in gear, so I'm guessing the original lsd went bad and was replaced with an open diff. In case anyone wants me to describe the whining sound, it sounds like the civic in this video when Matt lifts off the gas

youtube.com/watch?v=lTkNPYOEGjw

yeah mine makes a similar sound.

It could be that you still have an LSD but it is shot. When they fail they typically will still function as an open diff.

Depending on the trans code (if it is an LSD trans) you could yank it out and sell it for enough to potentially get an open diff gearbox in better condition.

clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-04.htm

autowereld.nl/porsche/944/2-5-s-coupe-9764410/details.html

...Guys?

Translation?

Very sparse ad, but a 944 S for 6 grand. "Foto's" tab shows more and bigger pics.

That seems expensive, but I don't know the market there

5k and up is "basically sorted" territory for a 944 here.

It does look very clean considering how high the mileage is
See if you can get the compression checked out, should be easy on an inline 4 engine

Good call. Yeah, it did stand out to me how straight the body looks considering that mileage. Interior, too.

Time to add some AUX to the factory head unit

The victim

>nmi.craigslist.org/cto/5680814714.html

"Turns over, no spark" is Craigslist code for "Threw a rod, total block explosion" right?

He bought an extra motor, so yes

Yep, figures.

Read a forum post about some guy with a similar issue, he basically was like "replaces entire electrical system, figured out it was a bad head and valves"

And I thought I was so badass for replacing a crankshaft in an EJ25

>no spark issue
>better buy a whole new engine!!

>nmi.craigslist.org/cto/5680814714.html
not necessarily. Take a compression test of it if it turns over.

No spark is common with neglected 944's. It could be as simple as reference sensors and/or a new DME (ECU).

If it has good compression and is 1500 with a spare motor i'd take it. put 500-1000 into a full diy service and the above mentioned possible culprits and you could be running at least.

I bet you can do better though, it is still worth a check.

I'll peep around, but yeah what you're saying makes sense.

Whats the cheapest porsche I can get.

Condition doesn't matter so long as it's drivable

>read the OP

Why do you want the cheapest Porsche?

how good/bad are 944s? itd be a daily. i am mechanically inclined but im not looking for a piece of shit i have to work on everyday

they are great.

don't buy one to daily. Or if you do, have a backup. some guys here do it and more power to them. If you must, then spend more on one in great condition and maintain it.

that being said I love my 44.

thanks my man. im dailying an 88 civic right now so maybe ill consider keeping it as a backup

friendly reminder that 996 a shit

t. Bus rider

Also almost ready to put back in the car

Lol cute

>that clean workbench
fuggin nice

take the stickers off you fucking half asser..

Lel it's a door and some 2x4s from Home Depot, but thanks

They'll come off and I'll wrap the thing in insulation after I do a test fitting

Why are '14 and 15' Cayman S's so over priced?

Cuz its better than the 911

You're getting a great performing, comfortable, practical, reliable, mid engine sports car for well under $100k

So how are they over priced?

Toyota MR2

>great performing
>comfortable
>practical

And I didn't know that Toyota started selling brand new MR2s again

For anyone who's changing their oil separator, just cut the fucking tube
The spring clamp is too much of a pain in the ass to undo with the separator in place, even with flexible hose clamp pliers

And while you're at it replace the clamp with the regular screwing kind

Old boxster, plenty of them around

Though I don't think you should be looking at Porches if you have that mindset, it'll just be torture.

I mean to say if you think it's overpriced, just get an mr2 because it's the budget alternative.

928 prices can go way higher than that.

Or an older Cayman

Sure they can, those are all starting points

scranton.craigslist.org/cto/5759046873.html

Uh... guys? Was searching for parts for the 944 when this came up. Seriously think I'm just gonna buy this and use it as a parts car...

>$950
Do it. Youd get more in scrap for it if all else fails

the scrapyards near me go strictly by vehicle weight on a scale, and jew everybody out here, never seen someone get more than $500 for a car. Still sounds worth it to me though, only problem is I have no more garage space...

Get a tarp and throw it in the yard. Works for boomers

I don't have a yard at all, I've got a townhouse with a 2 car garage that's already filled and a driveway that's also filled.

:(

dinner is served

user who started /pog/ earlier this year reporting in. Glad to see it's still alive, ride in peace Stuttgartbros.

>tfw saved up enough money for a transaxle but haven't gotten around to getting my license yet

Being busy with college sucks, not even summers can save me. Hopefully I'll get around to it during Xmas.

Kodak Black - Like Dat

Found out my clutch slave cylinder has been leaking, and is now nigh unusable thanks to the sticky clutch. Had to take the bus home, gonna have to go back to the parking garage and get it out when the traffic is dead. Did not fucking need this this week.

Are the repairs of a NA 944 really all that more expensive than a 924? Sure, the 944 is obviously the more reliable car, but aren't most 924 parts mass-made by Audi and VW, therefore making it a much cheaper car to repair?

At least it's a pretty simple fix! Sorry though.

>tfw don't even own a Porsche but still hang out here for the comfy
Thanks for starting one of the best threads on the board.

I just want a non-FR Porsche but I'm too poor to afford one

First gen Boxsters are "only" a few grand more than 944s, and more reliable so possibly cheaper in the long run.

The only thing I don't like about those is convertible.

Same here, but I got a factory hardtop for mine which is really nice

Also galvanized steel body and a lot of parts are shared with the 996, 987, and 997 cars so they're easy to find and relatively inexpensive

As a 44 owner is your best option. They are great cars.

Eh I think they are pretty similar in repair prices. The difference is negligible. There are several bits even on the 944 that are be/Audi, just not the engine.

Thanks OG, I'm the user who redid the pic and the first part of the info post (with help from several anons).

Ya dun gud

If you want an MR or RR Porsche get some flex sockets, they made my life much easier

Nice, that sounds like a good fix for road noise and environment. Shame about convertible body wobble.

>Also galvanized steel body
Does it live up to the elements pretty well?

>a lot of parts are shared with the 996, 987, and 997 cars so they're easy to find and relatively inexpensive
Cheap parts are good.

Ok.

>convertible body wobble
It was designed as one though, so the chassis is not nearly as floppy as, say, a BMW 3 series vert.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Right, that makes sense.

>Boxster
>convertible body wobble

Lol no, it's a proper roadster which means the chassis is still as fuck
Except for the '97, avoid those

And yeah, the only rust on my winter driven Boxster are the bolts that hold the exhaust together
What fun

>Except for the '97, avoid those
Good to know

>And yeah, the only rust on my winter driven Boxster are the bolts that hold the exhaust together
Well that sounds heaps better than my current daily. Early 2000s GM was a cheap bastard.

I thought this was real for about 5 seconds, then I looked at the tailpipe