Redpirr me on MR2 as first car

Pic related, also will have to drive it in snow this winter

Other urls found in this thread:

mr2wiki.com/MKI/CommonOilLeaks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

get something you wont regret smashing around until you learn to be a decent driver
then go for it and have a good time

They're actually not all that horrible in the snow due to the amount of weight on the rear axle

They sit a bit too low to be "good", but with a good set of tires you shouldn't have much to fear compared to other normal cars

Good luck finding a good one

>first car

Wouldn't advise MR2 as a first car - for both driving and maintenance reasons alone.

Pick up a cheap shitbox and fuck around with it.

There's a few around me which seem alright and I have enough saved up, just looking for opinions on whether this is a good idea or competely retarded.

Thanks famalam I guess it is a dumb idea after all

its romantic just not practical for snow. Midship makes DIY really hard.

Look into 80s tercel wagons. Some rear drive some awd with manuel trans. Fun and good for snow, easy to fix.

Hmm might be hard to find but i'll keep an eye out.

Would parts be easily available for these?

>driving an AW in the winter
It rusts like a motherfucker don't do this.

Don't get it as your first car.

Get a beater to learn on and make your mistakes. THEN start looking at something nice.

Glad my first two cars were beaters, learnt a lot of do's/don'ts with car maintenance etc etc with them

All old nip cars probably do.

Testarossa is an awesome first car bro, make sure to play Kavinsky whenever you drive at night.

>Reaaaal humaaan beiiing and a reeeeal heeeroooo

Like a boss!

So I'll follow all the advice and not get it. Thanks for talking sense into me guys.

That car will literally disintegrate around you if you drive it through winter.

U N D E R C O A T T H A T F U C K E R

Also, op, I would get one for my first car that I own (driving my mom's stick passat wagon, and the inherited shitbox corolla from my grandparents) but I'm too poor and my mom won't insure it because she knows I will an hero if I wreck an AW11. Instead I'm getting an e36.

>its romantic
Exactly why I love this car so much. It's romantic without being schmoozy. This car made me realize again that romance was more than just shitty tv shows. It's like those poets from the 1800's but better. Also, romantic is the perfect word to describe Initial D, imo.

fuck i sound like a raving autist, but that is probably because I am.

Tercels are all FWD or AWD iIrc it was the first fwd car toyota made

2nd and 3rd gen tercels are amazing cars.

If you can find one in decent shape with low amounts of rust, it's the perfect wrenching car for a beginner. The 3AC engine is basically a tractor engine, it's so simple.
So far I've been able to source most parts from my local parts warehouses, however I have had to make a few trips to the junkyard for tail lights and obscure engine parts. For cars this old, it's a good idea to have a parts car, or make sure local junkyards have a few laying around.

On the topic of MR2's, my neighbor has one in immaculate condition, it makes me orgasm internally every time I walk past it.

It's not just undercoat. The wheel arches will turn into onion rings when exposed to that much salt.

Not OP.

You're making fun of me but I'm going to do it anyway.

So is it tricky?

Is maintenance a big issue?
Was looking into buying a MR2 a few years ago,worked night shift at auto parts store,$1000 for struts,every part has to be ordered from some warehouse that has to special order it from somebody else.
I don't know how fat your wallet is,but keep in mind that a MR2 is a money pit,but some day you will be 30 yrs old and look back on your life and even a poor decision will be a fun memory .
Buy the damn thing,just be ready to walk in the snow,and in a few years shit post about your first car breaking down and that's how you learned to help out some other fag and that guy wont listen to you....
BUY IT!!!!!!
Worse case you live long enough to regret it.
BUY IT!!!!!!
Also wear your seat belt and use your turn signals,fag.

I have no idea about snow. I'm in southern california.

Buy one that's been well taken care of and has relatively low miles. Check for oils leaks.
mr2wiki.com/MKI/CommonOilLeaks

Check for rust under the wheel wells like another user said. Honestly these cars are so prone to rust I wouldn't buy one if I had to drive it through snow. They're great cars but that doesn't stop them from being 30 years old. Buy a good example from someone who know their shit and save yourself a lot of headaches. Engine in the back is little inconvenient but honestly i love it. Like another user said it's almost romantic.

I can't say anything about the MR2 in particular, but I have an early-80s FR Toyota with no electronic assists. In my experience, you pretty much lose traction on every corner, regardless of speed. Take the shifts slow and the wheels should be fine in a straight line.

I mean seriously.

>stop at red light
>look out back window
>see engine lid vents and rear spoiler
>hear that deep 4AGE grumble, feel the vibrations

How can you not smile? I'll have to take a photo out the back window soon since I can't find one online.

Seems the best idea would be to get some experience first and not destroy it with salt since the roads around me are heavily salted in winter. Sad but sensible I guess.

>tfw velocity stacked 4ag blacktop
its like god fucked you in the ear

How hard is a blacktop swap? Does it bolt right in?

There's a lot of wiring and custom mounting.

I used to run ITBs but they we're way too fucking loud, especially in an AW11 where it's right behind your ear.

I went back to the stock airbox and it sounded a tad more subdued but still great when you stepped on the throttle.

The airbox has nothing to do with whether or not you have ITBs. Please stop lying on the internet.

i think you meant just the stock setup in general, in which case I guess you can be right if running trumpets isnt your thing