Why do car transmissions break so frequently? I've put 150...

Why do car transmissions break so frequently? I've put 150,000 miles on two different motorcycles and have never EVER had an issue with the transmission.

They take much more stress from cars having more hp and torque. also >automatics

And that brings me to my next point. Aren't automatic transmissions supposed to shift flawlessly therefore eliminating any additional wear to the transmission?

In the best of worlds. But flooring from standstill in a car with auto puts huge stress on all components in the gearbox.

Even if you shift perfectly, there's still mechanical wear on the components. It would wear much quicker if it didn't shift optimally.

>car transmissions break frequently
Wat

in my automatic car it actually is a bit stupid. it will shift to neutral for a split second inbetween gears.

My dad drove 530k km in his Volvo 940 before the transmission exploded, the oil leaked out somehow. We bought a replacement for $30, it will do at least 100k more with his style of driving.

4dat authentic feel

Or ur tranny is just busted

I don't think it does that, but the manufacturer may have put very hard springs in the valve body, this makes the clutches slip more but the shifting feels smoother.

people don't service them/synchros wear out because normies arent aware of rev matching

most people don't even realise there's oil in the transmission, and those that do will not bother with it

>$30 tranny

Only in America?

no its all solenoid. it really does that for some reason by design.

Sweden, m47 boxes are more common than guys named mohammed

Bike trans are manual and very simple. Bike makers expect riders to beat the shit out of them and are pretty good at designing accordingly, Nobody wants to split cases so there's that.

Car boxes routinely go a couple hundred thousand or more before dying. If people changed filters and fluid they'd live longer but nobody does that.

I have 360k miles on a Chrysler transmission auto rwd. I have 230k miles on two saab fwd manual transmissions.

I have no idea why you think car transmissions are prone to breaking.

But the solenoid should be PWM right? Then it probably has 3 modes, on, off and controlled slipping.

Mother had a 2002 Acura MDX and the tranny shit the bed at 51K miles (Acura courtesy repaired it since it was barely out of warranty and a major failure). I think it's more likely to happen with more powerful engine options, particularly when they try to take base non-sporty cars and oversize the engines in them when making them luxury.

i dont care to learn that. i just know how thats the software controls it.

How much difference does changing manual trans fluid make to shift feel? Got a new motor and trans going in along with rebuilt shifter and delrin bushings and I'll do the fluid at the same time just want to know what to expect

>tfw manual tranny
>tfw oil is "sealed for life" and cant change it
>tfw can only rev match if put concentration on it but if im just talking with someone or doing something i will always have hard shifts

Nothing if it's already synthetic fluid, but if you have the gearbox out of the car, might as well change it, it's usually under 2l if it's rwd.

Get gud. Should be able to shift well and rev match subconsciously if you do it enough by yourself

It's not a power issue, it's a Honda issue. They suck at auto transmissions

What's wrong with just feathering the clutch?

Oh wait...

>dry clutch

L M F A O
M
F
A
O

This. Why did nobody else point out the obvious troll of the Op?

I've heard of exactly 1 transmission failure out of about 15 cars that I've known from purchase to wrecker. That's an average of about 1 transmission per 4.5million kilometers. And most were automatics.

Seems reliable to me, bruh.

Lack of maintenance, lots of abuse, poor design, overheating of fluid. Just a few

You can't compare cars and bikes like that.

Most modern passenger car automatic transmissions aren't really expected to last much more than 75-150k miles without an overhaul. Can they last 200-300k changing the fluid and filter often? Sure, but they're not really designed to.

I've put over 250,000 on several cars and haven't had a transmission problem since the 90s. My current Focus is 6 years old with 185,000 and runs like a dream.

In terms of wear protection automatics have quite a few positives. The torque converter is fantastic for protecting against sudden and potentially sudden changes in RPM. The standard planetary design of automatics is also more gentile on clutch assemblies. However automatics usually hit every gear while shifting up so that means the clutches are worn every time.

Manuals can be very subjective in term of wear as even the best manual is only as good as the person operating it. Overall it could gain a lot from a torque converter, but that would also minimize the entire purpose of a manual. The biggest advantage is that you can skip gear all the time with ease.

>tfw Toyota running on 400k miles with no problems
Git gud

I also paid $30 for my tranny lol

$30? How big was his dick?

Your box is just fucked m8

>paid $30 for a "tranny"
You're literally just admitting that your car is a complete pos.

the most common car transmissions are synchromesh manuals and conventional autos
Synchromesh manuals: Improper boyracer shifting wears out the synchros and clutch and destroys the gears, because the average car doesn't have a dog clutch transmission. The average car is actually meant to be shifted with leisure and precision, so that the shift lever is almost pulled into place by the action of the synchros. Also, all of them have dry clutches which are more easily destroyed by friction.
Non-DCT autos: The band clutches used for manually selected gears aren't meant for constant engagement and disengagement. You are meant to lock it in L/2/3 for towing AFTER GETTING STARTED IN DRIVE and leave it there, not shift between L/2/3 constantly like it's a manual. Also, the parking pawl is easy to break and requires a rebuild if broken. Nobody uses the handbrake. Also, overheating or somehow low automatic transmission fluid will cause a failure far sooner than an overly-slipped clutch.

The average motorcycle transmission is closer to a manual dogbox, which is made to withstand banging through the gears, and normally has a wet clutch, which is harder to kill.

tldr

bikes are made for hooning
the average car is not

disclaimer
i don't actually know shit about vehicles

I dunno man it seems like you know some shit about vehicles

how does the selector fork work

May I ask what the idler gear is for? Never heard of it

Reverse is first gear with an idler to reverse the direction of the output shaft.

It's literally a fork attached to a rod so it can slide back and forth. It moves a piece of metal. The forks are moved by a cyllinder with groves their top ends track in.

You know how when two gears spin against eachother, each one is turning in a different direction?

Add a third gear and they turn in the same direction

Your engine is actually running in reverse, so drive is actually reverse and reverse is true drive, so FWD is RWD and RWD is best so FWD is best