Custom digidash

So I just got the fucking insane idea to build a custom digital instrument cluster using an Arduino, some LEDs and some display bits. I just don't have a car to do this for.

So I ask you, Veeky Forums, which car do you think desperately needed a digidash but never got the option?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/1-38-Round-Circular-TFT-Color-LCD-Module-Display-220X-RGB-X220-with-R61505V-/200971182733
twitter.com/AnonBabble

AW11 mr2
Mitsubishi starion
Any quintessential 80's car to be honest

geo metro

MR2 was on the shortlist, they're surprisingly not even that rare around here. Don't know if I'd be able to find a Starion, because >yurop.

Twingo

Actually already has a digital speedo.

are you ready to into CANBUS?

[spoilers]its not that hard[/spoilers]

No, but I am already into CANNABIS

It's still quite some time away (seeing as I don't even have the car yet and such) but yeah, I intend to research all the things. Googled around a bit already and it does seem pretty doable.

>Tap the bus telemetry
And this is exactly why programmers should be kept the FUCK away from all things critical unless you have proven yourself not to be a moron.

OP run discrete sensors for your instrumentation unless the purpose is to monitor what the EFI is working with.

>which car do you think desperately needed a digidash but never got the option?
Pontiac Fiero... but there is an aftermarket option available.

It'd be fun to monitor things like AFR and temperatures, though probably not the most useful thing in the world for a street car. I'll decide on what exactly I want to monitor when I get the car, then decide which way is the smartest.

Funny, just came across an ad for a Fiero that looked like it could use some love.

>OP run discrete sensors for your instrumentation unless the purpose is to monitor what the EFI is working with.

why don't you just wire up a pre existing digidash to another car
you can probably figure out a way to use a z31 dash with another car

Don't know but it got.

That'd involve tracking down a Z31 dash first, and potentially ruining it.

I also just like the idea of a fully custom cluster instead of wiring up something that's meant for another car.

If I were you.

I would run discrete sensors for all the critical stuff in the dash, temperatures, pressures, speeds, levels, etc.

Then on the side run an dot matrix display for CANBUS readout, like what they did with the Vector (pic related). It is there if you need to troubleshoot something, but visually doesn't compete with the critical info.

Good suggestion, I'll definitely keep that one in mind. I was thinking of doing a centered horizontal strip of LEDs for a tach, a dot matrix display below that for the speed readout, and either displays or LED bars on either side for things like fuel and temperature.
I could probably put the CANBUS readout in the center console or something.

Yeah, I just love how this stuff looks.

Anyway, I'm off to catch some sleep. Feel free to suggest cars and/or post inspiration in the meantime, I'll check back tomorrow.

Kadett is sex

PARIS
A
R
I
S

Anyone know where to obtain round color pixel LCD displays. Not the ones with fixed graphics, 7-segment numbers, etc. And not square panels with round bezels.

Thank you for steering me to CANbus, this will be extremely helpful in my own electronics projects.

OP here, glad to see the thread's still up.

ebay.com/itm/1-38-Round-Circular-TFT-Color-LCD-Module-Display-220X-RGB-X220-with-R61505V-/200971182733
This maybe?

AW11 with a digidash

>because >yurop.

watch out.

selfmade instruments might not be legal there.

or they might fuck you over MAJORLY in case of an accident.

According to trraffic laws in my country, you only need a functional speedo in order to be road legal.

So after some browsing of used car sites, I found this...

Z31 300zx. Thats the car in yo pic

How hard would it be to put the digital dash from an AE86 into an AW11? The interiors, wiring and drivetrain are pretty damn similar already, aren't they?

that sign though!

Some people have done it.

>bought a Navdy Car HUD two years ago on preorder
>repeatedly delayed
>signed up for "explorer" (read: beta) program, was supposed to ship out before end of august
>still no HUD
I should probably just swear it off at this point

Fuck I want a digital dash so bad. I think a better way to do it is to have a sheet of metal and cut out holes in it, then put slightly opaque plastic behind it and put an led behind each hole.

Yeah, I'm planning to make some kind of faceplate for the whole thing to mount the LEDs/displays and hide the electronics.