Redpill me on Z31 300ZX

How good are these cars
Are they a bitch to work on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ssplrcVdtE0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bumpity

Cmon fuckers does no one have experience with these?

No experience, but bump

People would rather argue over whether the GT-R NISMO N-Attack package is a volume production car or not, it seems.

assmad GM fangirl deteced

>illiterate nissan fangirl spotted

Fairly easy to work on.
Ask your questions.

Never owned one, but I've worked on and even driven a few(¡one on a track!). Never get the autotragic. That transmission is fail, and it isn't half as fun.

>the real question is what do you drive? And can you prove it?

nice, the cuck has proven to assrage everytime he is called out

youtube.com/watch?v=ssplrcVdtE0

I have a car, truck, and motorcycle.
I can prove it. But we all know ill just be attacked and called names no matter what i post.
Stay scummy though!

It's a manual, with full maint history sonce new, but this will be my first car so

Is it easy to work on?
Are parts cheap/widely available?
is 8k CAD/6k USD too much for one with 1 owner since new, full maint history from nissan dealerships only?

Thanks user

So whats your car then? You attack others easily so cmon what do you own? Its super easy to shit on cars today so im calling the kettle black

No problem working on them. Aftermarket is limited if you want to go fast.

Dont want to go too fast at the moment, just a nice relatively reliable RWD which is easy to work on..

My concerns are mainly

royal cunt to work on.

Took me 7 hours to do the water pump, tsb states 8 hours. But nissan would remove the engine to replace the water pump.

If the cylinder head temp sensor ever goes bad those are real fun to change.

Replacing the radiator means removing the bumper cover, not so bad but still.

Always remove the starter when changing your oil, the oil filter is directly above the starter and will dump oil into it. Either making the starter fail or start slow. You then need to pull it apart and clean it so it works again.

Avoid models with the digital dash unless you feel like pulling it's power supply apart and touching up cracked solder joints.

>Is it easy to work on?
Pretty much.
>Are parts cheap/widely available?
A dealership can get you any part you need in a few days. Most parts are available through Rock auto etc.
>is 8k CAD/6k USD too much for one with 1 owner since new, full maint history from nissan dealerships only?
Turbo or non turbo?

Non turbo

not OP but thanks, this is dope. looking at a z31 too.

>Is it easy to work on?
For the most part, as long as you have some mechanical inclination. It isn't Honda/Chevy easy, but it isn't Chrysler/Porsche FML level either.

>Are parts cheap/widely available?
Sometimes. The VG30DE can borrow a lot of shit off the far more common VG30. Mostly electronics are gonna be hard to find. Suspension/brakes, just go straight to higher-end(Jegs) aftermarket. Rock Auto is good too. No don'tlast Auto Zone shit.

>is 8k CAD/6k USD too much for one with 1 owner since new, full maint history from nissan dealerships only?
That's cheap. Probably has some miles. For comparison a 300zx with a VG30DETT(the twin turbo) and less than 20k miles on the odo can see a price tag of 12k USD.

Fair warning the clutch is a tricky sumbitch.

does anyone make a turbo that just bolts up with little modification?

Was that the only hard part or a bitch in general?

Has 93k miles on it

Nissan used to...
The turbo off a VG30DET or the twin turbo off a VG30DETT will bolt straight to a VG30DE.

Also do you mean the clutch is hard to get used to or hard to change out?

For the performance it offers 6k seems high to me. As far as the collectibilbilty of a z31.. I can't say what it's value is. 6k would get you a turbo 280zx.

Z31 prices must be going up. My clean NA was 3,500 and I live in the rust belt. Sold it as I wanted a turbo model.

Iirc the turbo model has larger wheels, brakes, beefier rear end/different, different transmission or something internal is different, thicker sway bars, different compression ratios, and a couple other small things.

It has been awhile ~2 years since I looked this stuff up. May be mixing the turbo and shiro special model up.

I just remember the NA didn't meet my expectations.

To get used to.
That shifter is a little funky too unless you drive a lot of old nissans.

I only pay attention for the VG30DETT coming up for sale, so my numbers are probably off, I don't think they'd be off that much.

Addendum
You must re-tune the engine. (You'd have to for any turbo)

You are talking about two different series of cars. The z31 vs z32 which had the twin turbo

So I guess the consensus is not too hard to work on/get parts, but 6k USD is high for a naturlly aspirated.. Guess I'll pass then :(

My experience is that my friend owned one and it caught fire and burned to a crisp thanks to faulty injectors.

I have one, parts are hard to come by

That's a pity.. Need to get to school and want something which parts can be sourced right away and is easy to fix so i can be back on the road.

Wanted something RWD for a bit of fun and thought this would be good :( Can't find any other good RWD's under 6k.

Parts to keep it on the road will be readily available. I never had a problem with mine.

Aftermarket.. Not so much.

On another note anyone know any RWD alternatives in the 6k USD/ 8k CAD range?

Reliable tho famalam. Doesn;t that have PITA electrical gremlins?

G35 all day or V35 skyline if you dont live in the usa

I was sorta half-joking, but if you can afford the upkeep they're great cars. For 6 grand you could probably find one in decent shape.

G35 is really appealing for me, but I'm just scared about the oil consumption issue

Yeah they're amazing to drive for sure, but unfortunately I've got a high school budget to work with :(

Trying not to give in to a Corolla and get something fun.

turd gen gm f-body.
mx-5
rx-8 (lol)
rx-7 fc
mr-2

LS-powered F-body maybe? Engines are dead simple, though especially the 4th gens can be a bitch to do certain jobs on.

Its honestly not that bad. I own one and yes it burns oil, but if you find a 05 06 model you would be fine. There are 2 different VQ motors for the g35. DE on 03 04s and HR for 05 and up. You honestly can find a HR motor for 1500 bucks and swap it easily. Solves the oil problem. Or like me for now i just top up a quart of oil every month and a half until its oil changing time. I recommend mobile 1 synthetic euro spec oil. Tends to last longer. For 10 bucks a quart its not going to hurt the wallet. And first gen g35s are stupid cheap. For my sedan i pay only 95 a month for ins with full coverage. Very practical and safe.

I own one.
Aftermarket support is scarce but you can find parts for the engine as the VG30 was a common engine. Manual transmission is way to go, but early turbo was a crappy T5. Your suspension will be shot to hell and the IRS will squat like crazy, coilovers are costly if you wish to improve handling and stance. OEM Parts are still avaliable from nissan but you must go to a dealership with your VIN and Part number to order or they will not help you. Zs are scarce at U Picks so if you need anything that is no longer in production then you gotta hit up forums and groups. The Engine bay is cramped, not as bad as Z32 but still bad.
You will have leaky windows and rust in the trunk. My biggest project was timing belt change, the crankshaft sprocket was seized so I had to dissemble the entire front to work on it and remove to then change the seals which one was leaking.

I was advised against MR2 by some anons since first car and also I have to drive in heavy snow since canacuck. Also doritos would probably be too maintenance intensive for me at this point. MX-5 and turd gen are great suggestions though, thanks anons.

There is an 05 near me, I'll look into that. Thanks.Thanks user, valu

*valuable advice

I think the turdgen F-bodies with the 350 (the one you want) only came in auto, at least the Camaro. Not sure about the Firebird.

You don't want the 305 or the V6 though, they're pretty shit.

If you buy it you are going to love the car. In japan its a skyline. Look up V35 skyline and get a nissan boner

Turbo has 16" wheels vs N/A 15"
Better brake calipers, Diff was the same Open one until 1988-89 where the Turbo got a Clutch Diff and 88' SS got a Viscus.
84-86 Turbo had weak T5 Manual, then 87-89 got a significantly better Transmission which rolled over to Z32. N/A had the same Transmission across all years and was considered reliable and handled ok power.
Springs and Sway Bars where the same until 87-89 where the Turbo got slighly stiffer springs and Sway Bars and the 88' SS got the stiffest springs and sway bars.
88-89' engines had a slight revision designated as W and the crankshaft had two woodruff keys holding the sprocket and pulley.
There are more differences such as color matched mirrors and chrome trim for N/A. At the end of the day when looking for such an old and Niche car you need a good chassis with little rust.

Holy shit that's incredibly sexy.

Any other issues to look outfor on this engine?

MR2s are a bit of a meme honestly. They are known to be rust buckets and the snap oversteer will kill you easier than bald tires in the rain will. Doritos aren't expensive to maintain you just need to be particular with how you treat them. They are expensive to feed but it is a sports car after all.

Miatas are chick cars, if you're effeminate a lot of fags will hit on you. Turd gens are trash pre-modding so get some sikk mawdz. Gl and hf

The motor won wards best engine for a long time and even though my car is 12 years old it still performs very well.

Thanks user

They're 're stout cars. Great engines, not too heavy, but they're not that powerful unless you want to NA2T it

Dealerships don't stock parts anymore. The stock was sold to Courtesy Nissan, who have sold most of it already.

You must be talking about the z32. Z31 have the Vg30e, or VG30et. The clutches are fine in the 71c's.

No, you have to change the fuel injectors and ECU.