Will an overdrive act as an extra gear if you have the torque to push it...

Will an overdrive act as an extra gear if you have the torque to push it, or will overdrives always bog the engine down regardless?

I bought my car with touge in mind, but I live near a Texas Toll Road and suddenly have a need for speed. Problem is my car has a th400 and the top gear is a 1.00 which limits my theoretical top speed to 150-175 in ideal circumstances.

That's not fast enough for to be midnight club.

Overdrive is just a gear ratio taller than 1:1. There's nothing magical and different about it.

Oh I didn't know that. I thought OD were different types of gears.

You could always run a road race over drive in the 0.9 to 0.8 range.

Have you ever ridden a fucking bike with changable gears? Yes overdrives in high powered cars achieve higher speeds

If a car has 3.08 Final Drive ratio, 1:1 top gear and redlines at 6000rpm with 26 inch tire, it should have a top speed of 150mph.

So if I take that car and slap two turbos and a bottle of manifold danger, will it still have a top speed of 150 and just accelerate faster to that point from the added horsepower?

Yes.

Without better gearing it will not reach a higher top speed. Only acceleration

Have you looked into getting a 700R4 swap?

Btw trying yo Od over a hill or something will trash your mpgs

4l80e swap or bust.

im guessing you have a clapistani-made vehicle, so just stop being facetious and tell us what car this concerns

my car shifts into 5th gear (od) at around 140. it's limited to 145, and reports say that the car will make it to 161 mph. so take that with a grain of salt. its a 300 hp v8 so it's not the most powerful v8 ever. however, the od is not an aggresive burgerstan- style over drive where itll have you at 1200 rpm at 80 mph, its more of a continuation of 4th gear, so ymmv

How much power are you making ?

Get a 0.8 or lower if you think you can get to close to 200

With gearing long enough to make use of the extra power it'll have a much higher top speed since more power = more force to counteract the air resistance and overcome drag.

I have a TH400, am I better off swapping to something newer? I'm having a hard time finding someone that can support more torque.

Ls400? Trying to think of another 300hp v8 with a 5spd

I live in the DeeEffDub and usually hit the Dallas north toll way for speed run. I have a C5 vette with cam, heads, and bolt ons. I easily hit 170 on DNT. It's a T56 with double over drive for 6th gear. I have to be around 170 to pull anything out of 6th gear, bevause of aforementioned double OD, but it can be done.

its a gs400

a built 4l80e is a strong transmission. in stock form its tough. its a 4 spd with overdrive heavy duty truck gm transmission.

thicc

>will it still have a top speed of 150
yes, the only way to increase top speed is a lower gear ratio, a larger circumference tire, or to increase the rpm of the engine

who is this semen demon?

T H I C C C C C