QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

How Does He Open His Trunk Edition

>Ask Veeky Forums questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Note: Posting your question in a General or a Daily Thread might increase the chances of your question being answered soon.
(Threads listed below might be archived and also the generals which are not mentioned below have not been seen since ages or they rarely pop up in the catalog.)

>Sticker question?
>Auto Vidya question?
>Classic Car question?
>Honda question?
>Hot Hatch question?
>BMW question?
>Australian Car question?
>Motorcycle question?
>Off-Road/Truck question?
>Commercial Truck question?
>Used Car question?
Read the sticky first.

Previous Thread Soon to reach Bump-Limit :

Other urls found in this thread:

rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5749487408.html
amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Front-Gray-Visor/dp/B00IGCWBFG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472692252&sr=8-2&keywords=tacoma sun visor
ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacoma-05-11-Med-Gray-Driver-Side-Vinyl-Sun-Visor-Genuine-OEM-OE-/302056894817?hash=item4653fe7161:g:wbwAAOSwBahVbLke&vxp=mtr
wichitafalls.craigslist.org/cto/5760319885.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5720379749.html
boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5759454413.html
youtube.com/watch?v=mXbXQcmjlPM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>improperly attached spoilers are memes
>properly attached spoilers are memes
Jesus.

They're idiotic unless you plan on doing sharp turns at 70mph (which you don't)

This thread is off to a great start with two idiots who don't know the difference between a spoiler and a wing.

How do you pronounce Citroen?

Is it shit-run?

Spoilers have their use
None of the uses apply to that car
Unless bragging counts as one

My rusted exhaust just fell off and not I have a straight pipe to the middle of my car.
Apart from being hella noisy and kinda smelly, can this be bad for my car?
It's popping eveytime I lift off the gas and downshift.
(also don't care about the cops, plenty boy racers run straightpipes and don't get shit for it where I live)

Haha. ex dee
I'll bite though. It's See-tro-an.

Like citrus

see throw ayn

sitrun

>muh carbon monoxide poisoning

What should I be looking for when I check my spark plugs? Pic related is one from my engine and has been used for ~5000km. Pretty sure the oil on the threads is leftover oil from when I changed the seals so I'm not worrying about that.

>you don't NEED that many wheel spokes!

That may be worring at long term, that's why I've already ordered a replacement

Black shit right on the contacts, it will cause misfiring like it did on my 535,pretty much the only thing you should see w/ normal use.

What's a cool first car for a europoor user?

Brown coloring, corrosion.
Those are fine.

Mini's are fun.
Don't know about upkeep though. That could be a problem.

Is that an OEM spoiler?

How does that work?

How does he open his trunk?

afiak the spoiler is mounted to the trunk lid

Anyone got any experience with the 01 mustang svt cobra? Looking at perhaps picking one up in a few months. Any common problems / concerns to look for?

So which is better for car structure integrity? Being made of steel or aluminum?

>Toyota Tundra SR5
>GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
>Ford F-150 XLT
What buy? The Sierra is the most loaded, and cheapest ($31k). I haven't test driven it yet. The XLT is the most plain and expensive, but I've only heard good things about it. The Tundra is in between the two, and was much more comfortable to drive than the XLT but it's arguably a bit uglier.

Wings are spoilers but not all spoilers are wings

If it's real or not would be a concern

Siera, it's cheap, easy to work on, and it looks the best.

Checked out the VIN, comes back to a real one, no accidents reported. Around 60k miles

Exhaust user here.
Here's the piece that rusted to shit.

Since now I'm tasked with rebuilding my exhaust system I'm considering various options, will skipping one muffler increase the sound/emissions 50%? I'm considering only installing one and using a friends steel workshop and order the remaining pipe.

Also I know jack shit about mufflers, wich one / ones should I buy from pic related?

I kinda like the sound my engine gives off running with my exhaust cut in half but I don't want to be a dick to everybody on the streets.

By running straight center pipe you will pronably get a fair amount of droning between 50-70kph. Stick a resonator in its place to fix this.

If you delete the rear muffler you will experience droning at most speeds. Ask your local exhaust man which one produces best results for your shitbox.

How does one even get into cars and learn more about them beside the obvious way of lurking this board for a while? I don't own one and I know nothing about them but I'd like to and feel like it could be a constructive hobby.
Honestly I just like cool looking cars.

Sucks that There is litteraly no one on my god damn island that does exhausts.
Droning is just plain noise right? I don't mind it every now and then, I just don't want my car revving reverberating off everybody's windows.

My car has a resonator at the begining of the tube.

My car is a Citroen BX, ATM I'm considering of only running the end muffler + a second resonator where the middle muffer used to be

How would slapping something like this on the end segment work out? It costs about the same as the OEM end muffler.

javascript:quote('15733789');

Anyone know if a delsol should be titled as a civic? Should I buy a 450$ car that had the front bumper pushed in if it doesn't seem to be catstanged?
It cranks with a jump but didn't fire
rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5749487408.html

That looks like an OEM spoiler attached to the trunk lid.

Anonymous 09/01/16(Thu)00:40:28 No.15733743▶
Ok lads looking for some input on a new car - no more than £10k but if cheaper that's better;

>small hatchback/small coupe
>fastest 0-60mph possible + handling decent enough
>2010 or newer - newest preferred
>reliable enough

Any suggestions?
>>

Like everything, you learn by doing it. I recommend watching EngineeringExplained on youtube and watch all the seasons of top gear (season 2+, S1 doesnt have james may). You'll be surprised how much you pick up just by hearing people talk about stuff

Steel is stronger than aluminum, but clever design of aluminum alloys provide just as much strength without the added weight. Aluminum is inherently more expensive than steel and added design costs usually make it too expensive to replace on a car and some parts you want the sheer strength of steel regardless of weight. Frame pieces, crumple zones, seat brackets etc.

Thanks for replying

The muffler really shouldn't do anything to affect the smell of the exhaust. It just "muffles" your exhaust. So until you replace it, your car will just be noisier and maybe perform a little bit better because of no muffler, but that's it.

With 10k, which is around 13k USD, you can get a nice subaru wrx. It probably won't be 2010+, but you could find an 06-07 in good condition for that price. You just have to be ready to foot the bill for all the repairs that the boyracer didn't fix before selling the car.

I'm always hesitant to buy a car that was clearly crashed since you never know if the frame was tweaked. Not firing could be something simple, check to see if the plugs spark and work forward from there. You'll need around 2K for parts and paint. But to answer your question about the title, no, it shouldn't be titled as a civic.

How is the 2003 Lexus GS300? I need something to commute back and forth to university for up to $3500ish and I want something sort of nice/comfortable. Also I'm okay with a wrench but I'd like something I don't have to be up under every weekend.

Yeah I'm looking more for a light machine under £10k - WRX's will be older and harder to find clean, and it's a bit big as much as I like them.

Currently I'm thinking about getting a 2012 plate RX-8 for about £7.5k I've spotted at a local Mazda dealer.

But I like to make a list, so open to suggestions within those limits.

L S 4 0 0
S

I'm not worried about the budget. I'm going to rallycross/autocross it. If I get it I will just pull the crash bar and drift stich the bumper back on and drive the fug out of it.

LS430 user
you can thank me later

Great looking cars. Thanks for the suggestions!

should I buy this? I need a truck and its 1500 hundred and has 117,000 miles on it. It runs well and they use it at the junkyard like in pic to move stuff.

not sure if the ac works. what is the average price for fixing an ac?

I just bought one tonight.

$15000 for one with less than 60k miles on it.

It's fucking sweet.

Looking for a sun visor for my 06 tacoma. Mine broke, it wont stay up. Didnt realize these things are so expensive. Is there any cheap recommended source for these?

amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Front-Gray-Visor/dp/B00IGCWBFG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472692252&sr=8-2&keywords=tacoma sun visor

Mechanics fixing ac, depending on how many things they replace runs around 1000$. If you have a/c tools like the gauges,the vacuum pump and UV dye+light, you can fix it for just the cost of parts at a dealership. I spent close to 1000$ myself on my subaru, but I had to replace everything except for the evaporator core and compressor. Im sure it would have been close to 2 grand at a mechanic.

>Select all images with pickup trucks

Usually you can find OE replacement parts on ebay for a lot cheaper, I found one for ~45$
ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacoma-05-11-Med-Gray-Driver-Side-Vinyl-Sun-Visor-Genuine-OEM-OE-/302056894817?hash=item4653fe7161:g:wbwAAOSwBahVbLke&vxp=mtr

I saw that one, just doesnt have the little extender thingy which is kinda disappointing. Was hoping

If you have a junkyard/pick n pull near you that would work

sadly the closest one to me is hours away, but you might be lucky

Auto retard here, wot r these two cars

One of their uses is to increase MPG by reducing drag. Is that not a reason to put a spoiler on a commuter car?

I've got an older car ('86 190e 2.3 8v) that mostly runs fine, but occasionally it will just die and won't restart right away. It happens more often when I've got the clutch in and am on a slight upward incline. No idea why the incline matters, but it'll run just fine all through the rev range for hours, floor it, baby it, doesn't make a difference, but get a cold engine on a hill and it has a chance to die and not re-start right away.

When it dies it doesn't sputter or do it slowly, it's the same as if I had just turned the key off, running one second, off the next. When trying to restart it it'll crank just fine and I can smell unburned fuel, which leads me to believe that the fuel system's fine, but I know the previous owner had tried to fix this issue by replacing the fuel pump relay with used one off a junked car, so they could have mess up something there. I pulled a spark plug and it looked fine to my untrained eye.

So my question is this: how should I start diagnosing this? What should I be looking for? Everything I've thought of so far would be causing more problems than "occasionally stops when on a hill". A coil or wire problem I would think would cause problems with normal driving, same with a fuel or air issue.

The blue one is a c4 corvette maybe 1986?

For the second one I'm going to fire a guess and say it's a nova or another GM make

68-72 Nova, correct.

Thanks, what do you think would be a good price for the corvette since he may be selling it, I'm fairly certain it doesn't run and I want a car to work on and learn about them

For that purpose, I'd say get the cheapest Miata possible.
Or an old VW, original Beetle etc.

Basically because they're simple as fuck, and have a huge support network. You'll always have an answer to whatever your problem is.

I'd have to know the condition and mileage of the C4 to guess a price
gl

if your cool with the way your car has been sounding with that rusted out muffler.... just bypass that shit and fuck the world. I kinda hate all that is unnecessary

don't know car... carb ?. If so ... that'd be the first thing I'd check. 2nd... fuel pump, since it has to work harder on an incline

Looked around and got some more quotes, and found more options.

>Ford F-150 XLT Sport Trim and Luxury interior w/5.0 V8 ($30k)
>Ford F-150 Lariat Base w/Ecoboost V6 ($36k)
>GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4 ($31k)
>Toyota Tundra SR5 TSS 4.6 V8 ($32k)
>Toyota Tundra SR5 TSS 5.7 V8 ($34k)

All are either extended cab or double cab. I prefer the extended cab since at most I carry 4 people on occasion. Also the longer bed helps a lot.

Unfortunately it's mechanically fuel injected, so who knows what could be going on in that. I'll see what I can find regarding the fuel pump next time it happens. I'll try and listen for it and listen for sputtering or something. But since it'll drive just fine at speed/after warming up/when it feels like it up much steeper hills than it has stalled on I don't think it's just the fuel pump. Although it could be a lot of little things that include the fuel pump.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500, and I really like it.
Why aren't you considering it?

Bad experiences with FCA and Rams. Rented one and it was a lot less comfortable than the competitors.

I need a comfortable and soft-riding truck first, practical road hauler second. Rams seem more fitted for work.

Have been watanabe (or wheels looking alike) sometimes OEM?
I have seen some similars on mini, is it legit?

I see
I think you have to get a really high trim to get luxury from them, I have the Sport model and it's comfy as fuck, but also pretty damn pricey for a truck.

Are these prices new or used/CPO?

if you roll back into someone behind you during a hill start who would be at fault?

All prices are new/2016 model year.

You should consider CPO then
A one year old CPO car with 3k miles is like $5,000 cheaper than the new equivalent, and it still has a full warranty

yeah, still thinking fuel delivery though... otherwise I can't see why performance would otherwise be good. still would start with fuel pump. I still think the pump would be more stressed up hill than at speed. I would measure the voltage at pump first, since its free, and these old cars often have trouble grounding/ old connections/ less available amps. if it checks out, I'd still probably swap fuel pump next, .. not too pricey... good to have anyway.

... kind of a riddle here.... whatever you do, I'd mess with it on ramps to simulate incline.
in line fuel pressure gauge also an option to get a general look at this system

damn it now its in my head... othe thought... air in fuel line. would be effected by incline and is free to check out. check all fuel line connections. maybe change filter. could even put in a piece of clear line and look for bubbles.
I'm mostly a diesel guy and this may be more of a diesel thought but its just about free anyhow.
whatever it is, fix it tomorrow so I can read about it!

Anyone had any experience with Koni FSD shocks? Looking to get a set on my MPS to replace the fucked OEM's

bumperoo

Can someone explain the engine symbol, what are the 'T' shape things at the top and front, and what is the bulge shape on the right? And I assume the overall body is the engine block?

wichitafalls.craigslist.org/cto/5760319885.html
or
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5720379749.html
Or am I trying to chase some meme dream?

Anyone else?

Which is better to buy?

Fiesta ST or Genesis Coupe 3.8 R

Genesis is worse than a Mustang in almost every way, memes aside.

So between FiST and Ecoboost (god I hate saying that now), well, depends what you want from the car.

Genesis Coupe. Car will retain value better because it was recently discontinued and there is a market for them in rich teenagers.

plus driftcar

Sitch-run

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5759454413.html
Don't know much about Audi so can I get some opinions?

Just buy a Civic
When that breaks, which an Audi with that mileage will sooner or later, you'll be fucked.

Structural integrity? Well, steel will flex more without permanent deformation, so vibration can be less of an issue.

Longevity wise I would imagine a high strength aluminum car to last longer due to corrosion resistance and if it was designed properly, it shouldn't be bending past it's deformation point anyway.

Not sure if this should be on here or /tv/ but I figured here would be a more sensible bet.
I was going to download Top Gear but realised it has 23 seasons so I was wondering what the essential ones are?

All of them exception Season 1 and the newest one.

What do you white people mean by "sleeper car"?

Its a good car but its slow in stock form.

Not lux enough to not leave you itching for more power, being that its not a full on luxury car

I wouldnt buy it unless you have an aristo twin turbo drivetrain ready to be dropped in desu.

>white people
a car that looks like not much that's fast.
Here's a shitty clickbait youtube video to demonstrate it
youtube.com/watch?v=mXbXQcmjlPM

a shitbox w/ tons of power that makes good times while looking like its driving its way to die at the scrap yard.

when you get passed by a rusty jalopy that outperforms your sportscar its gotta hurt

Yes they have on austin healeys minis and triumphs they are called minilites

Its just a representation of a generic 60s v8 that universally recognizable as an engine. Air cleaner on top(whats this), fan on the front (left side of picture, this) and engine block is a correct guess, that that shit on the back really isnt anything but a tq converter or flywheel

I think that would be your fault because you should not be subject to people rolling back into your car at lights

What year does dodges and chryslers troublesome electronics become bigger issues. Im looking at getting a 1992 dakota v6. Had a 96 dodge stealth and the electronics were fine, but I always hear how poor their electronics are.