I'm a poorfag looking around for an inexpensive, sporty car with decent modability...

I'm a poorfag looking around for an inexpensive, sporty car with decent modability, and noticed that R33 Skyline GTS25t coupes are pretty cheap around here. Anyone have any thoughts on them? How are they to drive, ease/cost of maintenance, etc.?

>inb4 hurr just save up for a GTR
If I had a better job and cars were the only thing in my life, maybe. Unfortunately I can't justify spending that kind of money even if I could. I'm only looking at Skylines at all because the no one wants the non-GTR R33s, so they're a bargain.

Other urls found in this thread:

japanesenostalgiccar.com/project-b-owning-a-classic-car-in-japan-part-02-the-shaken/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>illiterate fag incoming

Insurance isn't cheap.

Even for non-GTRs, huh? Well, my record is clean so I can probably deal with insurance as long as it isn't completely absurd.

Moist secretions.

too old senpai

What condition will the following parts be in?
>8x ball joints
>numerous vacuum lines
>oxygen sensors
>control arm bushes
>strut top rubbers
>cooling system internals
>rear diff clutch plates
>engine and transmisison bearings

They will all be on their last legs, especially considering the driving and maintenance habits of their young, poor owner base.

Skyrines are honestly a massive hassle.

Can you guys get Falcodores over there in sheepland? An XR6T will be a much better car for not much of a difference in price.

assmad gm fangirl never fails to show his butthurt all over the board

Yeah get an 1800kg car instead

Which is also much, much faster.

These things usually have 60000km or less on them. It's definitely not for someone that knows nothing but an intermediate mechanic could take care of any common problem it could have. Parts aren't cheap but they aren't that hard to come by since it's a popular car.

Yeah, I'm aware of old car issues and have plenty of experience maintaining my own ancient rustbuckets. Fortunately, cars here tend to be relatively well-maintained, and I'll be looking for an unmolested one that hopefully hasn't been beat on too hard.

I'm not a sheepfucker, actually. The picture is just a random R33 from Google. I live in Japan on an English teacher's salary. No Falcodores for a reasonable price here.

There he is.
>butt hurt
About what? I hate GM too in case you couldnt read.
Whats to be butt hurt about? I dont drive a shitty nissan

Stock for stock they run very similar in the 400m

>in japan
Fair enough, they are cheap as chips in japan.That being said, why not go for mx5?

I spent a week driving around nagano mountains and desu all I was after was composed suspension. The extra power and weight of a turbo 6 is a hindrance on anything except long uphill straights.

if you are having trouble trying to find a skyline there are other options s13/14/15 silvia or the 200sx failing that the nissan stagea its the skyline wagon . the good news is they arent really sort after. or if you dont want nissan there is toyota altezza is200.

They're ok for what they are, generally trouble free but people tend to hammer on them a bit so you'll need to look carefully at the driveline overall (synchros, diff whine etc) and the wheel bearings being a bit grumbly.
Engines are fairly tough ol bricks that mostly have the usual nissanisms around the fuel-air being grotty, maybe the odd dropped coil pack and filthy sparkplugs. If they've been beat on, it doesn't last as long and that's ok provided its been regularly serviced + has records of it.
Check the shaken to make sure its odo is the same as what it was last registered as... no it won't have magically only done 50-70,000km in the last 20 years!

In terms of that kind of money, I'd probably save your japbucks for maybe an R34GTT or an S15, S14 series 2 or something. The latter model GTT with the NEO engine is quite a good car, I liked mine at least. It was cheap and ran really well.

They are cool enough cars, but they aren't hot shit like many Americans think because Skyline = GTR. It'll drift well and go pretty quick, especially with a few more PSI. It's like a Japanese Mustang, but a turbo instead of a V8.

kek the cuck keeps getting triggered

>he keeps trying to instigate but keeps failing

>failing

just like gm lol

stay triggered, cuck

>just like gm
Yeah i know... im agreeing with you

well GM fangirls have finally accepted they are inferior

>being inferior to an inferior brand
Yeah that makes sense

Why not a older Evo 4-6 or GC WRX STi? They seem more fun than a R33 GTS25T. Its amazing how cheap the Evo 4s go for in Japan, $3-6000 USD.

I thought about that, but they're really just not my style. If anything I'd rather save up for an S2000. But honestly I'd prefer something with a bit more usable space for practicality reasons.

Yeah, I've been looking at S-chassis cars as well. I have to admit I like the sound of an inline 6, though.

Really good info, thanks.

That's pretty much all I'm looking for right now.

I'm considering those as well, even though I'm normally more of a RWD type of guy. A friend of mine has an old Evo and it's pretty neat.

doesn't Chevy own Nissan

They're owned by Renault. But realistically the only major thing they do share is a CEO. There are some joint ventures such as engines and other parts and the same car might be rebadged as a Nissan or Renault depending upon the market but they maintain separate engineering and design teams that make their own thing for the most part. Platforms are not shared.

>in Japan on an English teacher's salary

please how can I get this job

Step 1: Have a 4-year degree in whatever the fuck.
Step 2: Don't be completely retarded. (Somewhat retarded is fine.)
Step 3: Apply.
Step 4: Be hired.

What an amazing world we live in...

I might do this for a year or two after I finish my mechanical engineering bachelors...

Blmp

You're going to teach english with a mechanical engineering degree? Really?

Get fucked by shaken

Yep. This is the real problem with owning an old car in Japan. If you don't do your own maintenance the dealership will replace absolutely anything that might need replacement.

This post is great for detailing the exact process: japanesenostalgiccar.com/project-b-owning-a-classic-car-in-japan-part-02-the-shaken/

Hey mate fellow kiwi here, i have an r34 25de neo thats been manual converted, insurance is 74p/m full cover, fairly good on gas if you dont thrash it, but even when i do its not bad, maintenance is pretty cheap in nz and parts are easy to come by, coil lacks on them are a bitch, waste spark conversion is a must. Where abouts are you located?

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a kiwi, see

Get an S15 Silvia or maybe an MR2 instead
>smaller
>cheaper
>lighter
>better on petrol and insurance