Subaru a shit?

Redpill me on Subarus Veeky Forums, I'm thinking about getting my wife a newer Outback, like 2015 or newer, probably the 3.6R because I've read the 2.5 is gutless. Also considering a Forester, I'd prefer the XT for the power but I'm hesitant to buy a turbo car. Am I being stupid here, or are they actually good cars?

After 2010 shit.

>I'm hesitant to buy a turbo car.

Grandpa, is that you?

If you need more space, get the outback. Otherwise, the turbo XT's are pretty reliable too.

The 2.5 is okay when paired with a manual, not like your wife would drive one though.

>CVT

She's actually ok with the idea of a manual, she had several manual cars before. I'm not afraid of buying a turbo car, I've just read that Subaru turbo engines have had head gasket issues. Not sure if that is still the case though.

ive heard the manual shifter feels bad in the newer subarus. can anyone confirm?

No sonny, I'm not grandpa, but I'm probably old enough to be your dad. I'm not afraid of turbos, I just don't want to buy a head gasket blowing piece of shit if I can avoid it.

Then don't buy any Subaru as that's one of their quirks. Unless of course you rotate cars every 4/5 years where it'd be no issue with typical mileage.

I'm pretty sure it's the non turbo subbies that run into head gasket issues...

So would a NA Subaru be a safe bet?

Subarus are only known to blow headgaskets when you run fucking twenty more pounds of boost through them than you're supposed to, and that was literally fifteen years ago. Do you really just not buy cars because of memes? Do you avoid Fords because the Firestones will blow up and kill your family? Have you written off all Porsches because of IMS bearings?

Go fucking read Consumer Reports or something if you're concerned about reliability, you fucking clod.

I ended up purchasing a 2016 WRX, but when I was shopping for cars about a year ago I cross-shopped the Forester XT and Outback (as well as a host of other things, Mustang/3 Series/IS300/Fiesta ST/BRZ/VW GTI/etc.).

The 2.5 Outback definitely feels lethargic, and I was coming from a '95 LS 400. I liked the Forester XT, and it felt genuinely quick (even compared to the flat six Outback), but its interior is much more utilitarian/rugged than that of the Outback, so depending on what you want, that may be a plus or a minus.

I'd also seriously consider researching the Volvo XC90. It might be a little pricey compared to the Subarus, but every car publication loves that thing to death. My two cents.

>oil consumption
>cvt

it's a shit car m8. are you a woman? only women and cucks buy crossovers.

>are you a woman?
It's for my wife you dense motherfucker, can you read?

Shit reliability but they hold their value because memes.

Head gasket issues are more common with the older 2.5L and 2.2L non turbo EJ's, but even that's pretty rare.

I have an 05 WRX with 150k miles and it hasn't had any issues except for a power steering pump going bad, and that's a known issue with pre 2008 Subarus anyway.

Thanks for proving my point.

Just get her a sedan. If she plays the awd or "muh high up seating position" cards just kill her.

>Shit memes but they hold their value because reliability.*

FTFY

The Subaru aztec is a great car OP

That's only on the older EJ non-turbo motors.

The new motors in the XT seems to be fairly reliable so far.

CVT memes aside, the XT would be a better buy just because the 3.6 engine is a bit dated.

It's not terrible, it's just not a race shifter. Feels a million times better than the pedals in the automatic outback lesbianmobile, you can't even feel them

Who else has a 2015+ Outback here? How do you feel about the babby manual offered by the paddle shifters?

2.5 turbo outback is definatley not gutless

Sounds like you are going to be buying a newer car, if you are worried about the head gasket ask yourself, do you see your wife driving this car to more than 160k miles on the odometer, if yes, then pay to have the damn head gaskets replaced at 130k like scheduled maintenance says you're supposed to or whatever.

Maybe you should just kill yourself dickface.

California sells subbies for so high because people generally always keep them. Out of the six years of working at an auto garage, I've ran into one legacy which had 170k miles on it. Only reason it was at my shop was because it failed smog due to the cat converter going south.

I'm not trying to say that subaru is THAT good, but they generally are pretty long lasting cars.

Only thing is if you get your wife a turbo charged subaru, make sure she always runs synthetic oil. Helps reduce heat soak.

>replaced at 130k like scheduled maintenance says you're supposed
Replacing headgaskets is scheduled maintenance on Subarus? Fucking hell.

It's paddle shifters on an automatic, it's exactly like an automatic but you have the option to choose which slushy gear you're in

Wtf are you talking about? Show where it states the headgaskets need replacing at 130k?

Meh, simulated manual on a CVT feels like shit after the first 2 gears, but on my 3.6R it allows for some epik and hektik launches.

............but user.... every outback in this gen has a CVT.

The forester xt is the best vehicle they sell since they ditched the wrx wagon.

Outback 3.6r sucks gas like a pickup truck while not being much quicker than the 2.5 version.

The NA foresters are fine, but the xt is worth every extra penny.

>don't want to deal with paying for the insurance of the WRX,but get the same engine
>have to drive an automatic anyway because bad left knee, has the same cvt from wrx
>could use more cargo space
>a lot of the parts that work for the WRX can work for the FXT

Aside from the fact i'll look like a cuck or butch lesbian, it seems like the FXT right now is a sweet deal.

My mum had a '01 2.0 Turbo Forester until two weeks ago, had it from the start. That car was awesome. Everyone loved it, mum, dad, me, grandma, friends, strangers.

It was a great car, safe, powerful, spacious. I really wish we didn't sell it.

If you want a Subaru, get an older model. New ones are shit. My mum even tried the new Forester and she said it has no grip at all and that it is disgustingly wobbly. The outback might be better if you want a new car, but an older Forester is probably the best idea.

O6 ll bean reporting. 08 and earlier foresters are the only ones worth buying.

Gonna bash the 2.5 and then be scared of its turbo'd brother lol

While the 3.6 motor can put out #'s don't undermine the 2.5. Unless you plan on hauling anything in which case the Forester xt is all around better.

Only issues regarding the ej25 engines is oil consumption. People piss and moan about ringlands but as long as you take proper care and maintenance you'll be fine

>Subaru a shit?
Subaru is in fact a shit

>Subaru is in fact the shit
FTFY

I know what I typed fuckboy, but I'll repeat it for you

Subaru is a shit

They have cvts? Ohhhh then it just felt like a noisy version of a manual style paddle shifter and very slowly it chabged gears

When thousands of people engines blow up at almost exactly the same mileage it just becomes common sense hombre it's no service log which is why I said or whatever

This is more the older ones but

Head gaskets going to fail
Rust will happen, sound attenuation padding is a sponge that gets wet
Fucking drum brakes in rear
Rear wheel bearings take hours to do because tje fucking lateral link bolt fuses to bushing sleeves

Yeah. Subarus are shit.