Tire choice

Eurotard here.

I've got a Audi TT Quattro Mk2 (2L TFSI) as a daily driver. Bought it used and the tires on it are still not worn out, but they are junk summer tires. They are Rockstone 245/45 R17 99W XL F105 slapped on by the garage to simply be able to say you'd get new tires with your purchase...

I've got 15000km on them now and am totally fucking tired of them. So I'm now looking for a year-round tire set to replace them. Since winters aren't especially vicious around here, I'm going to keep using the same set of tires in the winter. Winters are mostly rainy, not necessarily snowy or icy.
Tire needs to have a W rating (or higher, though that would be wasted).

On the motorcycle I'm a fan of the Michelin Pilot Road series, but I don't have a reference for car tires since I've never even owned a car before. Used to bike all year round.

What tires would you suggest for this use case?

Other urls found in this thread:

tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-AutoBild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Probably some Uniroyal Rainsport 3s.
They're a wet weather biased summer tyre.
There's also the Michelin Cross Climate that might be worth a try.
tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-AutoBild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

>Audi TT
hehe tiddy

Thanks for the suggestion. Looked into them and unless I'm mistaken, neither of those comes in 245 width though.

>hehe tiddy

I quite like it. Main disadvantages so far are:
- The 2.0 TFSI is known for eating oil, but mine only uses up a bit between normal regular maintenance intervals so far, so I hope it stays that way. (I picked the 2.0l for tax reasons here, the 3.2l would've raped my bank account on a yearly basis)
- Coupe doors with only few increments in opening can be a huge bitch for parking. Have to be real careful not to bump cars (or your garage wall) next to you.
- Orientation of the windshield makes it fucking annoying to clean on the inside.

>Thanks for the suggestion. Looked into them and unless I'm mistaken, neither of those comes in 245 width though.
The correct size for original 17" wheels is 225/50R17

>The correct size for original 17" wheels is 225/50R17

Looked it up & you are of course correct.

Why do you think they mounted the shit tier 245s? Looks?

sounds like they (or the tyre seller) just had them lying around, XL tyres are for heavy vehicles

Because 245/45 are more common and more wide = more gud

If they fit the wheels, get 245/45 again.

As for brand, contis are probably cheap in europe, go for them.

I'd guess the tyre seller just wanted to shift some stock they couldn't sell rather than order in the correct size.
As long as the radius is roughly correct then everyone is happy.
Agree aboout the Contis, the ExtremeContact DWS might be ideal for OP.
I hate buying tyres, too much choice then when you find what you want it's the wrong size or it does great on tests and turns to shit once it's seen a years worth of wear.

That's why you search by size before anything else, then you see what's available. It's worse for me, i run 245/45R17 on the front with 275/40 on the rear and need to find shit in both sizes.

As for the extremecontact, they're definitely good. Running them on the front now, putting a pair on the rear once my current falken are dead.

>ExtremeContact DWS

They seem to have it in both the "oversized" and correct sized version. Which would you suggest? Going back to the Audi standard or keep using the slightly wider setup as suggested by ?

personally i'd go with standard size, unless you fit matching wider wheels.

The wheels are 17x8s, the 245 is actually an ideal fit on them.

audi disagrees, when they use a 245 they match it with a 9J

That's because audi are a bunch of faggots.
Every other manufacturer on the planet puts 225s on 7-7.5, 235 on 7.5-8 and 245 on 8-8.5.

I'm running 245/45R17 on a 17x8 on my current car, and i did it on my last car, and the car before that, and the car before that was 245/40 on 19x8.
It's the correct size and there's no reason to go back to 225/50 when you have an 8" wheel.

Lol you've got a girls car!

Hey everyone, OP's got a girls car HAHA!

>Every other manufacturer on the planet puts 225s on 7-7.5, 235 on 7.5-8 and 245 on 8-8.5.

Complete nonsense, my nissan had 8x16s and 225s.
8Js are 200mm wide and you don't want a 245 on it, it'll be too loose and hurt handling.

Try harder.

>it'll be too loose and hurt handling.

I guess it would also have minor impact on the turning radius?

Yeah, i've run 245 literal slicks (hoosier R6) on a 17x8 and it is not too loose and does not hurt handling.

Unless you tested those tyres back to back on 8" and 9" wheels you're not in a position to say that but thank you for sharing your opinion anyway.

Says the faggot who thinks a 205 is the correct tyre for a 17x8.

Please show me where I said that.

>VAG

idk about your size but I just bought these dunlops off tire rack for my 2001 jetta. They had a special so the price after the rebate was about $420 bucks shipped. my wheels are 17x8 I believe. I think they'll work just fine for me compared to my current piece of shit old ass tires.