/mg/ Miata/MX5/Roadster General; racing beat nose edition

old thread

>Miata Questions & Answers
>Miata Adventures & Blog Posts
>Miata Pictures & Fun Webms

>Miata buying guide
wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking Out a Used Miata

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=01545&endYear=2017&modelCode1=MIATA&sortBy=distanceASC&showcaseOwnerId=38748360&makeCode1=MAZDA&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=10000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[MAZDA[MIATA[]][]]&listingId=437343444&Log=0
clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-exterior/233897-autokonexion-who-ccp-fastback.html
youtu.be/VFQ4HNf8pH8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

oh shit
is this a scam?
should i grab this?

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=01545&endYear=2017&modelCode1=MIATA&sortBy=distanceASC&showcaseOwnerId=38748360&makeCode1=MAZDA&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=10000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[MAZDA[MIATA[]][]]&listingId=437343444&Log=0

MazdaSpeed Miatas.

Cop or not.

they have a few nice things
>well sorted reliable turbo setup, don't need to touch it
>exclusivity, they're rather rare
>nice colors
>hold their value well

but, the big problem
>the turbo setup is extremely modest, and has very little room for upgrading unless you take it all out and replace it with a different kit, and at that point why not just get a regular NB?

Priced like a nugget. Not much to lose even if its a POS, go check it out.

just called him up, apparently there's a small amount of bubble rust in the rear wheel wells but nothing noticeable, i'll have to get some pictures but even if moderate....for $1500 its worth it

Wheel well rust can lead to the wheels falling off be careful. You need em

depends on how bad it is, but generally bubbling rust at the "usual spot" means its already eating some of the frame at that point, that damn pinch weld collects water yo

Miatabros do anything Miata-related today?

Finally re-installed my AC today post engine swap. First time I've tried to run it since I bought car. Turns out the compressor won't even kick on because the system pressure is too low for the pressure switch. My car is a 90, so I guess I'll be taking it to a shop tomorrow to do leak test as I can't mess with R12 at home.

That autotrader stuff usually has an auto reply, check his response to your question and see carefully if it was a broad answer, or maybe he answered a question you didn't ask

*Autotrader scams, that is
Then he'll ask you to wire him money etc

>Drove a 2014 miata today
>always wanted a miata
>hyp as fuck to drive it
>too tall and my head sits against the roof
>shitty visibility because my eye level is even with the top of the windshield
Oh well, I liked to mazdaspeed3 more anyways and it costs less for the same model year

Not sure what to do about the windshield, but if you're driving a Miata with the top up then you're doing it wrong.

Have you tried an NA? I'm 6'1" and fit in mine just fine. Only issue is that some intersections have the light blocked by my windshield crossbar, which isn't a big deal.

I fit fine in an NB but for some reason I don't fit that well in the new ones

I have a strangly proportioned body though, 6"2 135lbs spooky skeleton with long legs

checked it out...it's pretty fucking rusty. not that much on the rocker panels and wheel wells but the undercarriage has rust all over, i would hate myself working on that thing.
also the hardtop doesn't have a defroster

later i checked out and drove an 01 green on black that had some rust but also had a real bad dent above the tail light and peeled paint from an improper pinstripe removal. He only wants $3500 though so that's not too bad.

later still, looked at (but didnt drive) an incredibly incredibly clean black on black 03 LS that looked fucking gorgeous holy shit, but they want $6900 which is steep

can't put my finger on it but i like the NB a lot more than the NA now, after haven driven multiple examples of each. I will miss the popups but meh, not a big deal

>well sorted reliable turbo setup, don't need to touch it
It is literally none of those things.

Don't, get an NB2 and think about maybe turboing it or maybe not.

Forgot to mention, put the top down before I got on the road
Maybe, I'm 6'2" with normal proportions
I'd probably be able to fit more comfortably in an older model but I'm looking to buy something newer with low mileage

i want to make a baby snek what's my checklist?

>this bumper by some dutch dudes
>white racing strips (removable vinyl, preferably) that go all the way up the bumper good and trunk
>hard top, also with racing stripes
>possibly stick some bumps on top of the hard top like the snek

it'd be cute af

Before

After, sorry on phone if anyone can flip them it'd be nice

Thoughts? I love it, wheels next

>autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=01545&endYear=2017&modelCode1=MIATA&sortBy=distanceASC&showcaseOwnerId=38748360&makeCode1=MAZDA&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=10000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[MAZDA[MIATA[]][]]&listingId=437343444&Log=0

this is a 94. the 95 m edition had merlot paint

>tfw miatas have begun to go up in value in australia

They were about ~4k for a pretty good NA somewhere around 5-7 years ago, now that same NA would be worth ~7k. Even finding one that needed work would still be pushing on for 4-5k.

;_;

What seat could you guys recommend? My old 93 seat is beat to shit. 6' and 250 pounds. Would like more lateral support than stock. Easy installation would be a plus.

>but they want $6900 which is steep

Christ that's a grand more than my NC

Did battle with my headlights today. Bottom is the before and top is after the first round. Going to do at least one more full go on top. May as well take my time after having to take the entire bumper cover off

Your nc1 will shit the bed soon

good thing mine won't

Soon? Have a mile estimate with that?

What easy to do or cheap mod would you recommend for a na 1.6 ? I'm not talking about asthetic mods

Alright guys, I've got a NA with the original radio and I'm wanting to replace it. I'm confused, do I just swap it in and a new radio plugs right in or do I need some kind of adapter, do the headrest speakers still work?

Tighten your accelerator cable.

as in restoration?
don't half ass it, go through at least four sanding steps and spend like 10 minutes on each step

>400 grit
>800
>1200
>2000
>polish with something like plastX
>sealant afterward

That meguiars headlight restoration kit they have at walmart and shit works pretty well. We use that at the place I work when people buy a headlight restoration.

this is a nice kit but you really need to get some 400 and 800 grit sandpaper along with it

Change timing to 12 or 14 degrees. New radiator for better cooling. New exhaust header. Randall cowl intake. Enlarge drain holes. New radio.

The Miata is super easy to work on, so pretty much anything.

Buy the new radio from Crutchfield and it will come with a free OEM adapter. Then all you have to do is splice the wires from the OEM adapter to the wiring harness that comes with the new radio. Should only be about 8 butt crimps and heat shrink, super easy electrical work. Colors should match between the two.

thank you

how does /mg/ feel about no-airbag wheels?

do you think it's dangerous in a crash? i'd be curious if there's any statistics about serious injuries in miatas linked to lack of airbag

HAPPENING
clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-exterior/233897-autokonexion-who-ccp-fastback.html

I replaced my radiator last week. It was from a 1.6 automatic (it has a larger capacity than the radiator from a manual)

Why didn't you go aftermarket? I installed the Yonaka that is $230 on Amazon and have been very impressed. The extra capacity and new fans have completely removed any overheating that I had.

I got it for $40 from a part out and it was fairly new.

Going chest/face first into a metal and wood steering wheel will fuck your shit up hard.

presumably you won't actually touch the steering wheel because that's what the seatbelt is for

That's fair. My stock radiator was throwing a shitload of rust into the coolant and overheating even at highway speeds. I figured I would go ahead and upgrade for when I'll eventually do a turbo install.

Make sure you cut the tear strip in the seat belt. Early airbags are beyond worthless, you're better off without it on an NA. Dunno if the NB design is any better.

>do you think it's dangerous in a crash?
Yes, it's probably gonna reck my teeth and face in a crash, but I love my Momo Monte Carlo and since I'm in a Miata, I can't crash under any circumstances anyway.

>since I'm in a Miata, I can't crash under any circumstances anyway.
?

That's really cute, but I don't trust my Miat to not kill me.

Whats a tear strip?

>tfw summer is over and driving roof down will now be limited

Sad times ahead my friends

Perhaps somebody can explain it better than I can but at the end of a seatbelt there's a few inches of seatbelt that is folded and stitched together. In the event of a crash the force will cause it to rip the stitching and allow for further travel.

did these two literally survive a rollover then immediately start boning when they realized they were fine
[spoiler]that's kinda hot[/spoiler]

It's a film I think

I think it's from the movie 'Crash', about people who fetishize car accidents.

Any radio is gonna come with the pigtail you need, and then you have to splice the wires into the stock harness.

It's pretty hot actually
youtu.be/VFQ4HNf8pH8

I'm pretty sick of my car feeling like it's rattling apart. I just bought a set of frame rails, and my car already has a rollbar and those delrin door blocks. Anybody have door bars or those frog arm things? Any other recommendations? I've heard with the frog arms that they will drastically change the handling balance and that they actually produce more NVH.

At least yours doesn't leak ;_;

You better change the color of rims too

I've got a 99 NB LS and the tachometer doesn't work. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions and or pointers?

>ate shit riding my motorcycle the other day
>my only other vehicle is a manual miata
>right hand was my only injury from the crash
>my right hand can hold the steering wheel in place but no major maneuvers.
>i have to shift with my left hand.
>driving is not fun anymore :(

>implying
noticed a bit of water coming through the drivers side windows I'm praying I just didn't secure the roof (didn't wanna take it down while it was raining)

Corbeau Forza is a popular choice

Be sure to seal it afterwards

rent a shit box before you kill someone my dude

Was it like that when you got the car?

Because the po had eyelashes on the car, and taking them off fucked the paint

ive always wanted to try plastidipping something kek, so i figured I'd give it a shot. Might peel off the headlights though

yeah, po had them like that
They're like legit as fuck powder coated too so I have to deal with it unless I reprint or just dip them
Thinking of doing a rice ass blue honestly for fun

i just stay in a lower gear until its safe to shift. Its not dangerous, just annoying as fuck.

Mine did it at 117k :/

>eyelashes
>pink wheels

who the fuck did you buy this from and why?

>previous owner had pink wheels and eyelashes
how badly did the seat smell of menstruation when you first bought it?

its automatic isnt it?

You mean astroglide.

Hell/o/.

Love, /toy/

if abarbie like miatas does that mean girls like miatas?

I should clarify, ppo
Didn't sniff the seats kek, sorry

Yes

I bought it because it has the popular equipment pack and 103k. It's not actually auto, it's manuel senpai don't worry

if you mean blonde airheads, then yes

>GT
these barbie people know nothing

I got the mother nulens kit and it recommends polish monthly...so I'd rather blow my brains out.

I assume that means it doesn't come with a sealant, any recommendations on that specifically?

Is there a way to raise my ride height without jacking my spring preload? My car sits a little too low for my taste and I dont really want to wrench up the springs any more.

lose some weight

I'm already a lanky fuck so I don't think that will help much

meguiar's has a uv headlight sealant but i believe most kinds of clear coat work

went to check out a 130k mile $3000 NB miata nearby today.
drove great, mechanically a peach.
in terms of rust on the undercarriage bits, all the bolts looked fine, just surface rust

the only bubbling or visible rust on the body was here, just below the driver's side door. However it was pretty bad, like a big flap of metal i could grab and bend a little

i'm curious, how much does it usually cost to get this kind of panel cut out, the rust grinded down, some POR15 applied, and a metal piece welded back over it?
$200?
$1000?
$3000?

Based on bodywork that I've paid for in the past, it'll probably cost a bit over $500. You could always ask for an estimate at a body shop

hmm, considering the rest of the car is extremely nice and well cared for, $500 might not be too bad

this would be paired with enlarging the drain holes as well as plasti-dipping the side skirts to give it a little definition but mostly for protection

are there such things are good quality turbo kits that have everything but the turbo and electronics? The FM2 kit is 2 grand without those parts which is steep

No, seat belts have play so you don't stop so suddenly.
Look at any crash test video, the head would've gone right into the wheel without the airbag.

Yes.

What phone holder is good for a 99 NB?
I have a Galaxy S6

The problem with the underfender brace (and, to varying extents, all chassis braces) is that by stiffening the chassis you're reducing the "fifth spring" effect and making the suspension work harder. If you have 20 year old blown stock shocks and sagging stock springs or $200 eBay special coilovers, you're going to see more NVH as your suspension's insufficiency is exposed.

>phone holder
I bet it's an autotragic too

No, its manual

same thing I use for a cupholder in my 90 NA

the girl in the passenger seat

where in the girl

And you want to use your phone while driving
Or is it just for Nav?

In my NA I use a vent clip style holder. I did have to repair the eyeball vent first to prevent drooping, but once I did it works great.