QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads:

Gutter Run Edition

>Ask Veeky Forums questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Note: Posting your question in a General or a Daily Thread might increase the chances of your question being answered soon.
(Threads listed below might be archived and also the generals which are not mentioned below have not been seen since ages or they rarely pop up in the catalog.)

>Sticker question?
>Auto Vidya question?
>Classic Car question?
>Honda question?
>Hot Hatch question?
>BMW question?
>Australian Car question?
>Motorcycle question?
>Off-Road/Truck question?
>Commercial Truck question?
>Used Car question?
Read the sticky first.

Previous thread hit bump limit

Other urls found in this thread:

gumtree.com/p/suzuki-motorbikes/suzuki-gs500f-500cc-/1185807458
youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI
vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/5699973455.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the most vaporwave car I can buy today that's relatively new? Tired of my car rotting and rusting

What will happen to the car if you could make the cooling too efficient?

What do you mean exacly. Its not that hard to do tho, just replace you thermostat with broken one and bingo, youll never hit 50 degrees again.

Its not good tho. Im scared I shortened my engines life by driving 255 with broken thermostat, basically pushing it to max while cold as f

What should I change on a car that sat in a garage with no heating for 2 years before driving it, besides the oil?

oil filter, fuel, fuel filter
tires and battery optional

The pieces don't dillate and leave gaps, making the piston heads shake slightly

Really stupid question, but how does leaving a manual car in gear with the engine off "park" the car? If I parked it on a hill just leaving it in gear without the handbrake would it just roll away?

Toyota fags pls help. How do you tell if your Corolla has a 4afe or a 7afe the Corolla I have has no id under the hood or engine and it doesn't have a rev meter.

That's it? What about the other fluids? What about the belts, other rubber things?

Anyone know what kind of cell phone mount would work with these air vents?
They are the 3G Mitsubishi Eclipse vents in a Mazda Miata

You have to understand how gearing works and how engines create a vacuum and compression.

But simply put a non running engine and put in first or reverse creates resistance against the drive train, keeping the car from moving.

Though you should just use the parking brake most of the time instead

You won't find vaporwave aesthetic in new cars, unfortunately.

Look for:
Z31 300ZX, 944, MR2 AW11, Celica, (maybe a Testarossa if you had the money).

If the wheels roll, they have to spin both the transmission and the engine. When in neutral only, they only have to spin the transmission. (Which is why you put it in gear in the first place) The extra resistance provided by the engine is a good backup in case your hand brake fails.

What are these things

There are no new vaporwave cars

The Honda NM4 is vaporwave as fuck though

Would this be a good first bike to get?

gumtree.com/p/suzuki-motorbikes/suzuki-gs500f-500cc-/1185807458

Got a full UK driving license, been driving for a few years.

Body rivets. Oftentimes you'll see stuff like trunk liners being held onto the body panels using them.

Trim tabs/ Rivets What ever you Want to call Them

they secure stuff like your trunk lining to your car

not sure the actual name of them

A stupid question will receive my stupid answer. Basically by putting it in gear you're using the inertia of the whole system to keep the wheels from moving. This inertia can be overcome by the engine running, which is why youre in gear and you give it gas, the car will drive. So without the engery input from the cylinders, the inertia of the camshaft and and all the gears and shit is what keeps the wheels from moving.

Ask DBT, in general yes, Gs 500's are good starter bikes

Tks

>camshaft
>Causing Resistance

What is the general consensus on the 2015 Mazda6?

I commute alot for work so I was going to get one but don't know if it's Veeky Forums approved. Secondary option was 2013 Infiniti G37x

ya i got a question, why do people buy this car

easy modification and ricer shit

My gf dad has the car, its looks like a camry and the mazda3

It's fine, Mazdas are pretty well built, and feel pretty good. It's an autotragic, but, if you're commuting in traffic, that might be a plus for you.

>Heard you're not supposed to mash the gas in manual cars under 3k~ RPM, especially if they have a turbo
>Turbo car I want to buy makes torque at 1.2k
Am I safe planting my foot down at 1.2k or what

comes in 6 speed manual as well as the automatic. thinking about it. I got $16-$18K I wanna spend on a used car so keeping options open

metal expands when hot
now metal no expando
no hot
not in spec when brap

I'm just trying to help, I don't know shit about cars

whoever told you that is fucking retarded

Whoever told you probably misunderstands what turbo lag is, and what lugging an engine is.

What they probably meant don't floor a car that is lugging in gear ala, don't press the gas hard if you're doing 30mph in 6th gear.

Mazda is about the only low end car maker that's attempting to make their cars fun to drive.

So yes they're Veeky Forums approved.

For those who have Interference engines

Was changing timing belt on a Nissan VG30E from a 87' Z31, turned crankshaft to TDC mark and made sure Piston 1 was at the highest point and the distributor was pointing to 1 and that both camshafts where at their timing mark as well. I noticed the left camshaft which is cyl 1,3,5 was not exactly on the mark so I tried to turn it by hand and it sprung past the mark, i tried to turn it back and it sprung again past the mark, I then got it practically on the mark. While doing that what are the odds that the valves made contact with a piston and have possible damage?

Veeky Forums newfag here.

Know very little about cars and recently became interested. Any Veeky Forums reccomended YouTube channels?

I personally think Everyday Driver is excellent

Whats the difference between power sliding and drifting

is it still drifting if I started from a stop or do I have to be in motion before initiating a drift

How far past the mark? Like 1 tooth-worth? A few degrees?

You're fine, the springiness you felt was just the valve springs wanting to push the cam in different directions. As long as it wasn't like, 90 degrees past they definitely did not touch at all.

Don't worry, keep on wrenching.

Any recommendations on phone holders?
Driving a Volvo s40 if anyone has a good one to go for.

Looking for a small hatchback/coupe for £10k max, cheaper would be nice;

>fastest possible 0-60
>2011 or newer
>decent handling
>reliable enough/low maintenance

Throw suggestions at me so I can make a nice list.

Gti maybe

Nope, you need to be in motion. Go watch Keiichi Tsuchiya's Drift Bible.

youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

oh so what I was doing was just power sliding i guess

Way past it man, was almost a quarter turn.
I'm still trying to guess what valves moved on what cyl. I know pistons 3 and 5 are down atm but Im afraid of contact with piston 1, i dont remember hearing anything that sounded like metal contacting even if that could be heard.
Everything is where its supposed to be so all I can do is turn it on and hope there is no signs of a bent valve and then compression test.

ye

I have a multi part question and am in need of some advice probanly from some truckers. I have an old 48 ford flatbed truck and my goal is to burn super singles. 1st question is willl a 10 lug dana 80 dually rear do the job, I cant seem to find out if theres a difference in the bolt circle.
I plan on using 22.5x14 alcoas.

2nd part, I think my power plant will be a 454 sbb and a muncie 4 speed will be my powerplant. Will that be sufficient, and with what rear gears, I know i can get 4.11s for a dana 80.

This will be babby's first hotrod and I want to make sure my goal of burning big ass rear tires is acheived.

CBB*

If your valves are full of shit it does

Apologies for the shitty pic, but does anyone know where I might the fuel rail for a 22RE motor?

If you can find a Saxo VTS that has been taken care of they're pretty cheap. The only problems that I heard from them is the head gasket.

What are good brands for tires? I have garbage tires (previous owner) amd haven't gotten around to the tires since I've been swapping other parts

Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone

Alright lads I did some cleaning today and came across 4 car rims (Pic related).

I posted in the Rims thread and so far nobody knows what car they fit. After some internet searching and asking older relatives, they are a set to a 1991 Mercury Capri. We no longer have the car, and I most certainly have no interest in buying said car. With that, what should I do with them? Sell them? If so, to whom and through what medium? To a local scrapyard? An auto store? Post on CL and Ebay?

I've already went ahead and de-greased and cleaned them; I'll polish them in the morning.

Thanks guys

The ej25 in my 2000 legacy eats oil like crazy... Like if I fill it up it will be just a bead at the end of the dipstick by around two full gas tanks of driving. Why this is happening is a whole other question and I'm guessing piston rings/head gasket since theres no visible leak.

What I was wondering is this: when I see that the dipstick is showing just a small bead well under the "E", it takes around a quart to being it back up to "F". This struck me as odd since the engine capacity is around 4 quarts of oil. Is the discrepancy on the dipstick that large, or am I an retard and reading something wrong?

For the record the oil is checked ater sitting overnight, and I wait a bit after filling to check it.

"L" not "E" woops

What is it called when you "rice" a German car? I would think ricing only applies to Japanese cars

Stein'd

should i get this vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/5699973455.html

Ok thanks - keep those suggestions coming lads.

Wheels or Rims

What makes an engine do the "vroom" sound?

Wheels. Why is this even a question?

Hot
Sexy
Explosions

My guess would be compression as you can hear and engine go vroom if you turn it over fast enough even when its off. Its the sound of the air being inducted and then pushed out the exhaust.

What's going on in this webm?

an engine*

It's actually air pressure being released

it sounds like a constant BRRR because the pulses come ot sequentially.

I sorta meant that, I used the word compression incorrectly then.

Whats your guys opinion on this? Worth the $6000?
vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/5699973455.html

I knew not to floor it in 6th, didn't know if this mattered in lower gears though.

page 6?

I have coolant leaking from my thermostat housing because one of the bolt holes is basically stripped (it tightens but the bolt doesn't come to a stop).

Would slathering the thermostat gasket in black rtv stop it from leaking?

is buying a Volvo 242 a bad idea?

Probably yes, but if it doesn't you're going to have a bit of a mess to clean up. You're better off fixing it properly with a helicoil kit. It's a bit of a pain to do but will save you headache in the long run.

If its not rusted out, runs and is a manual its a great idea.

Would a t56 fit on a bell housing made for a t5 box, or vice versa?

Is Toyota gonna bring the GT86 after Scion's fall?

1997 mustang gt. When ever I'm at a stop, and clutch to take off in 1st, or clutching when I'm about to stop i get a noticable click feeling and sound. Ive adjusted the cable tension, swapped cables, but I'm starting to believe it might be the Throwout bearing/clutch fork. Anyone had this problem and know what the cause is.

What kind of tires are best for winters with no snow and occasional rain?

You can floor in it in first on up. Just be mindful of turbo lag if it takes a while for it too spool up.

Your basic run of the mill all seasons will be fine.

You could even opt for sport tires if it doesn't drop below 40 on a regular basis.

Ricing applies to all cars.

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

Thanks user.

is camaro getting cheaper? because I'm seeing it everywhere recently. no I'm not driving one. even mustang has been appearing a lot this year. what is going on?

rx7 fc good idea? How often will it break?

>is camaro getting cheaper? because I'm seeing it everywhere recently.

odd, because it's slipped to third place in sales behind the Challenger

Is window tint easy to apply? Thinking about doing it myself to save some money.
What else would I need?

>turbo
plan to rebuild beyond 150k miles, not guaranteed
>NA
engine will be fine longer than accessories.

Consider rewiring the fuel pump on turbo, and regrounding on both. Super simple.

Alternator upgrade or rebuild to higher amperage may be prudent. cheap.

FC's are the most reliable rx7's, na 6 ports are reliable as fuck if properly maintained.

Not a 100% sure but there are rumors running around that they will.

What are your opinions on the Jaguar XK?
Especially the ones from 2007 to 2010?

My buddy in his dealership got me pretty good deal for 18K(which he can make up to 14k because of the close relations he have with the manager) which has not many miles on it but is at 22K clocked.

I saw the pics and it's super clean and looks sexy with the bright red paint.

What should I know before looking at one? How will the repairs be? Very PITA?

Replace brake fluid, it absorbs moisture from the air over time.

Check all belts, timing belt in particular. If the rubber parts are starting to crack and flake, replace them.

Check rubber dust boots in the suspension. Replace if cracked.

Check electrical harnesses for rodent/insect damage.

Check the floor in the trunk and passenger compartment for accumulated moisture and rust.

Check brake discs for rust. Eliminate light rust by braking hard several times on a safe stretch of road. If there's heavy rust, you'll have to polish or replace the discs.

>check emission warning light on
>exhaust pipe leaking some fluid (never noticed before) right behind the catalytic converter
>when revving up engine and letting go of pedal car does weird farting sound from the same place it's leaking

is the converter done? can I drive it? I'm 200 miles from home/mechanic

This is the one of the most QTTDOT questions ever.

Im putting an aftermarket water temp sensor in but the threads for the actual sender (pic related) are slightly to small to fit. The old one had thread sealant tape on it to make it fit so I figured I could use the same thing but won't it melt when the coolant heats up? Is there a special heat resistant tape (cant find any on ebay) or can I just use the one I found in the shed?

Wouldn't it be safer to get an OEM one?

you cant use the oem one with an aftermarket gauge because the resistances would be wrong therefore giving an incorrect reading

nah ptfe melts at like 250 celcius, if your coolant gets that hot you have worse things to worry about

PTFE tape is good up to 500F/260C