Spent the last hour trying to remove this bolt off my old leafspring, wont budge

Spent the last hour trying to remove this bolt off my old leafspring, wont budge.

How do i get it off without fucking the bolt?

I need the bolt but i can cut the old leafspring off if needed.

>wd40
Kek
What tools have you tried
Breaker bar?
Cheater bar?
Air tool?

you can buy a new bolt for a dollar you turbonigger. cut it.

wd40 just displaces water

use pb blaster or some other penetrating oiil

after spending untold hours under LTI FX4's trying to do exactly this, there is only one solution, get a gas axe onto the fucker and cut it off.

Cheaterbar over a socket wrench and my battery operated impact gun.

Thats my last resort, its Sunday so places close early and i need to move this truck by nightfall

I think i have some pb blaster in my other car lemme check

Hah i would if i had the gases but i need the bolt

If it helps i have a heatgun pointed at the bolt, its set at 950f

Have you tried using a bottle jack or something on the leaf under the bolt? Might have a lot of pressure on it from that.

An impact gun with a quality socket. It doesn't look that bad but shitty tools will fuck you over.

Leaf is loose and disconnected from the shackle.
It wiggles around where the bolt wont budge

How long of a cheater bar?
Also 950 degrees is not hot enough

3ft bar but i dont have a ton of space to work with.

I was going to use a torch but i think my tweaker neighbors "borrowed" them. I cant find any of them

>If it helps i have a heatgun pointed at the bolt, its set at 950f
You don't want the bolt to expand unless you plan on rapidly cooling the bolt. Heat the surrounding metal. Probably ruin the bushing. No probably about it.

Can't tell, but there isn't a nut on the other side, right?

The bolt may have become one with the bushing sleeve. Good luck user.

Does the bolt turn at all?

Try penetrating oil

pb blast the bitch but let it soak for a few hrs. also heating it with a torch helps

Use an impact wrench, definitely. pretty much 100% chance the bolt is rusted inside the bushing sleeve solid.

If you can't get it off with an impact, you need to cut the bolt between the hanger and bushing. This is pretty much what I have to do any time i take a leaf spring off, most times even an impact isn't strong enough to break it out of the bushing sleeve.

put a spanner on the back nut against the frame. Put your breaker bar and socket on the bolt head, then use a jack to apply force to the the bar until it gives.

Yeah theres a nut on the other side, wont budge either.
I dont give a fuck about the bushing.
I have a new leafspring i want to throw in thats why i need this one off and the bolt undamaged.

Like i said i can cut off the old leafspring

use a bottle torch on it

Bar and socket, spanner on back up tight to frame, jack up breaker bar.

I'm convinced you are going to have to cut it off. Had to deal with the same situation the other day. a breaker bar, half inch battery powered impact and two people on the damn thing and nothing. It would not move. Turns out after i cut it the nut just seized on the bolt. 30mm hex head so a thick bolt

furfuxake go buy another effin bolt, dont be a damn cheapskate.

cut the fucker off.

Ugh yeah thats what im gonna have to do then.
Im tossing on the old hardware and calling it a day.
Gonna look up parts numbers in a bit and go shop around tomorow.

1 fucking bolt just ground me to a halt.
I was making good time too

jesus man, jack a fucking breaker bar up. A jack can exert way more force on a bar than you ever will.

True.
The head is starting to round so fuck it.
Havent eaten all day, just gonna finish tomorow.
Good thing i have tomorow off

Don't do this. If the bolt is seized in the bushing sleeve, which they always are, you're just going to jack it up and start winding the bushing up. Then, when it finally slips off, the bushing is going to unwind and send your faggoty breaker bar flying through the air with enough force to break your damn jaw or put a big ass dent in the car. The bolt will still be seized too.

Cut the dumb fucking thing off and be done with it.

do this in this order

Heat it with your heat gun
PB blast its booty off while hot
let it cool and let the PB do its thing
come back an hour later and apply more PB
let it sit overnight and try it tomorrow morning

I've never had a bolt that doesn't A) come out or B) shear in half while still threaded. If you strip the head just weld on a nut. I doubt there is any real chance of it shearing in half so go to town on it with the impact

HEAT and PB will do ya

If seized in the sleeve cutting it wont help op. it will still be seized. Now he will have to punch it out. IDK if there is enough clearance to hammer on one side and come out on the other

You should be using a 6 point socket to prevent rounding. Might have to go pick-up a rounded bolthead socket set.

Hey dipshit, he has a new leafspring!

If he didn't he'd have to just replace the bushing, which you generally need to do any time you take a leaf spring off anyway.

This is the only correct answer so far OP. Hammer on a 12pt 1 size smaller for safety's sake if you've already started rounding the head.

Apart from just cutting the damn bolt.

I dont think you have actually wrenched on anything aside from your small penis before.

What is he going to cut? If he cuts the head of the bolt it's stuck in there. If he cuts the leaf spring into a million pieces he's going to be there for hours. If he cuts the spring perch you're asking for trouble later

Op here.
I threw everything back in place.
If i can find a correct bolt then im grinding the head off the old one and punching the bolt out.

>tfw impact driver snapped

Im done for the night, eff this

>What is he going to cut?

The body of the bolt, in between the hanger and the bushing, on both sides, so the leaf neatly falls out.

Pretty hard figuring that out, wasn't it boy genius?

Sawzall bub. Just cut the bolt and get a new one.

what happens to the bolt nub that is now inaccessible on the back side and seized into the captured nut?
Glad we got you on the case fucko

>1/4 inch

Who'd have ever thought

it's probably not a captured nut on the back side. boy ima genius

You just pop it out of the hole, now that the spring is out.

You about done thinking yet? You might want to stop for a while, might need all the brainpower you have to keep breathing.

confirmed for busrider

Heres a pic of the spot thats seized (this is the leafspring i managed to remove)

Yeah....the bolt is seized inside the metal sleeve in the bushing, like just about everyone in the fucking thread is saying.

you are NOT going to be able to free that bolt
no matter what you are going to have to cut it

When those seize in there, you're talking about the bolt being seized inside about 4 inches of aluminum housing with a steel bolt. they seize fucking SOLID.

I've tried cutting them and putting an air hammer or even a 40 ton press on them to get the bolt stub out, they do not fucking move. You have to just put a new bushing in.

Oh, why not just heat it up with a torch you say? Oh yeah, because the bushing is RUBBER and you will damage it if you do, and still need to replace it.

This sounds best. Try it OP

all these wonderful replies.

look, i've had to replace shit loads of these little bastard bushes, not as many leaf springs though.

but the end result is this, you buy a new bush, you buy a new nut and bolt, you cut the fucking thing off.....there is no other option, NONE.

Yeah thats what im going to do.
I have a new leafsprings, new bushings, all that good stuff.
I just dont have a spare bolt but since it looks like im gonna have to cut it off then ill try to buy a new one tomorow

He has a chance.

>Torch both sides of bolt quickly, mapp gas or hotter
>Aerosol can upside down immediately after heating

It'll cause the bolt to rapidly expand and collapse. Sometimes it works to break bolts free, sometimes it doesn't. I've had it work with control arms and hub bolts.

He doesn't care about the leaf spring or bushing.

but a 3/8 drive

A bolt is like $2 you autistic faggot. High Tensile Bolt $3.

Kill yourself.

>>Torch both sides of bolt quickly, mapp gas or hotter
>>Aerosol can upside down immediately after heating

The head and nut of the bolt aren't seized, it's seized inside the fucking bushing sleeve, heating it up like that, if gay ass OP even has a torch, isn't going to help.

>He doesn't care about the leaf spring or bushing.

No shit. I'm describing the normal procedure to illustrate how bad these things seize up. If he has a new spring with a bushing, then he doesn't have to worry about that part.

>You don't want the bolt to expand unless you plan on rapidly cooling the bolt.
Heat up what the bolt goes through. Get a can of compressed air, hold upside down and squirt bolt. Should drop the bolt down to 0 degrees for some good thermal contraction.

i dont think you fullu understand

>Heat up what the bolt goes through
the bolt goes through the spring hanger, then it passes through the void bush, the void bush is two cylinders of shit alloy, inbetween the two cylinders is a fuckin lump of rubber and if you try to heat that fucker up it will melt, this will only add to OP's problems and no amount of upsidefuckingdown arsehole cans is going to help.

now there are two ways to cut this thing out, you lay on your back and spend hour upon hour with a hachsaw blade because you only have about 3 inches space to work with,

or

you use a gas axe and make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand cause the rubber bush will ignite.

See
>Yeah theres a nut on the other side, wont budge either.

However the trick is to break the bond between the two metals free. I've had it work with control arms. Yes, even after twisting the bushing a smidge.

You can just use a cutoff wheel too, they're small enough to fit right in there and chop the bolt.

wonderful, the next time i have this issue with a Vespa main engine mount bush you can come over and fix it for me.

i wish i had your skills when i was running 24 taxis all with leaf spring suspension, i would have saved a shit load of time and would never have needed to resort to cutting these things off with a gas axe.

please, the next time you are replacing a suspension bush or a leaf spring, video the shit out of it and post it on youtube so us lesser mortals can see how the grand master operates.

ta.

yeah, but theres not much space either side of the bush normally, and the heat can cause the rubber to gum up the disc

If there's one thing I've learned from wheeler dealers it's hit it with a blow torch

PB blaster.
let it soak for a while
turn the bolt to tighten it first
then use breaker bar to remove bolt

Propane torch. Get it glowing red, put wrench on, apply hammer

Didn't know where to put this, but earlier I replaced my fuel filter, and when I went to tighten the out going fuel line I guess I got the socket crooked because I couldn't see it or really get my hand on it and now it's stuck one there. Is there an easy way to get it off, or do I have to take my fuel filter back off (which means taking the starter back off.)

That's a fucking 1/4" impact DRIVER.

You need a 1/2" impact WRENCH.

Completely different things, mate.

You're using something for screws. No wonder is snapped like chalk.

With limited tools you won't beat jacking up a breaker bar, but be fucking careful, else you'll learn a harsh lesson in stored energy.