Using snow tires

>using snow tires
Are people really so incompetent as to not be able to drive without them?
Is it that hard to control your gosh darn vehicle?
Buy some chains for when it gets really bad or really icey.

t. drives in snowy area, uses summer tires (or all-seasons) all year long

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4wl65S9GGU
youtube.com/watch?v=oziToDwl77E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You'll fuck up the longevity of the summer tires if you run them in cold weather.

They'll start to crack earlier.

>Gosh darn.

this is an 18+ website user.

wtf i hate winter tires now

I did a winter on summer tires because I was poor. I won't be doing that again. Getting stuck on flat ground with RWD sucks. 200 lbs of sand in the trunk wasn't enough. You can get 4 extra wheels and 4 winter tires for most shit boxes for less than $500. Worth it in my opinion.

I agree, I think snow tires are just a marketing ploy made by tire companies to earn more shekels. All season can grip as good as any other tire on snow. At least on my subaru

i summered my winter tires once

was loud but otherwise ok

still stupid, good tires are good

I never had a hard time with all seasons in the snow
Then again I live somewhere they plow the streets pretty quick

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4wl65S9GGU

in after the typical jalopnik hate. the winterforce tires they're using are an entry level winter tire.

Jesus christ please stop...

This. I wintered the cheap wal mart douglas performance gt-h tires and they never left me stranded not even once, and i only paid $52 a tire for them..

>t. drives in snowy area, uses summer tires (or all-seasons) all year long

The flat fucking midwest doesn't count. Come out to the mountainous areas of new england so we can laugh at you just like all the other morons who get stuck at the bottom of the mountain they live on because they'd rather spend $600 on a new trinket than a legitimate safety item.

>All season can grip as good as any other tire on snow.

Confirmed for never having real snow tires, or living somewhere it never snows.

My 2wd open diff Ranger with all-seasons can't get out of its own way. Put on the Blizzaks and get a decent snow with some ice underneath, and 4x4 SUV Mommymobiles with all-seasons are just in my way.

You are correct. Your thoughts have been confirmed as 100% accurate and cannot be denied in any way shape or form. Way to go, you won the game.

>be a good driver with """"all-seasons""""
>don't spin out, but have to drive slowly everywhere and brake early
>be a good driver with proper winters
>don't spin out, and drive normally

Pretty good bait, OP. At first my jimmies were getting rustled, but then I realized you're a massive faggot; all is well.

it must depend on the car. had wal mart douglas tires on a miata and they were worse in the snow and rain than bridgestone re-11s. yeah that's right i drove re-11s in the snow. it ruined them btw.

>My awd is fine on all seasons tires meant for being Ok at everything and great at nothing so excellent tires must be a scam

Winter tires are great for real Winters. All seasons are perfectly acceptable until they are worn down. Summer tires is gambling with your car. Fuck your life idgaf about that. Save your car at least year round all seasons. I hate people who have no good tires in the winter because I can do the speed limit and they are going ten. If you don't need winter tires you never had a real winter. Pic related assholes stuck running summer tires that I have to push out of my way to be the only person to make it to work.

I drove through a"state of emergency" with all seasons and an open 2wd diff as well as I could take my open diff s10 with winter tires. Btw I love winter driving.

*Open diff Colorado

Are snow tires like in OP effective for FWD, or only RWD?

Should I replace all four tires or only the actual (front) drive tires?

Personally I've never had trouble with all seasons in jersey year round, and all terrains in 2wd weren't an issue either. They just seem pointless here.

Drive wheels are cheap way to go. All 4 is best. Get one to two sizes narrower for ultimate Penetration through the snow.

Replace the non drive tires, or all 4. They help your uncontrolled rear in an ff on the road. In a fr replace the rear , or all 4, in really bad conditions (because grip), the front in mild conditions (because braking/turning).

Thanks user.

Wtf I hate tripfags now

Wtf i hate busriders now

Why are you responding to bait?
All wheels should be on snow tires regardless of drivetrain.

Wtf i hate how user justifys tripfag now

Thanks user!

Wtf I hate how this battle goes on forever now

I wish studded tires were banned in my area. They chew up the concrete roads and create nasty ruts. The studs also eat up the concrete in between the pebbles and rocks, thus causing the rocks to become more exposed like little mini-towers in the concrete road. That increases road noise and roughness of the road. It probably also makes for less tire grip too since tires can just slide across the tops of the rocks.

Wtf IED killed this poster

What are all terrain tires?

Tires that are mediocre everywhere and excel nowhere.

Or own 2 sets of tires when you need snow tires 2 times a year max. That's pretty fucking retarded.

worked at a car dealership and drove the exact same car on summers all seasons and winters in snow. there is a huge fucking difference. never believed in it until I felt the difference myself. this was in light snow and heavy snow as well and you're retarded if you think they're a myth

>mountainous areas of New England
>mountains
>New England
Those are hills son

Irresponsible, broke-fag spotted.

wtf I hate snow tires now

I've gotten my low shit box stuck once in Colorado with all season tires and I got it out without a tow. I drive my subaru if shit gets real, it's on all session tires too. I drove it through a foot and a half of snow last winter. Learn to fucking drive you little bitch.

I drive on all seasons through the rockys all winter. Those are real mountains. You east coasters just can't drive for shit. By the way stop moving here we don't want you.

ALL
L
L

SEASONS
E
A
S
O
N
S

DESU
B
H

SENPAI
A
M

>The flat fucking midwest doesn't count
The midwest ain't just Kansas

I guess next time you need to pull an emergency stop. You will get out and slap on those chains.

The problem isn't driving around in winter. The REAL problem comes when you need to stop.

>Northern Wisconsin
>plow comes once or twice a day
>leave for work with 8" on the ground
>steep hills though Nicolette national forest

>implying I can do it in all season
>implying I would want to when I can have 10 times the control

Idk why but going 100kph+ for half the year on chains just doesn't seem like an improvement compared to my winter tires
t. Northern Finland

Those tires are only useful on ice. Chains are honestly much better.

These threads are both quite sad and quite amusing

Very few threads will have the same mix of bait, people taking the bait, people who think themselves to be Tommi Mäkinen because they got home from work after going 15mph in two inches of snow, people saying that your car'll explode unless you have a set of $250 Hakkapeliiitas on, and generally people talking out of their ass

this but southern finland

>learn to drive
Ok

youtube.com/watch?v=oziToDwl77E

eurobeat never fails

fuck

>mfw someone else from WI goes on Veeky Forums
I thought I was the only one.

Because it's illegal not to use them in winter here

i live in the uk
all season a best

You're not the only one. I'm on the ramp at Mitchell right now reading this thread.

I live in Alberta. The winter can get retarded. Everybody who does not have winter tires should be dragged out into the streets and shot.

>its another people think snow tires and awd are necessary meme

unless you are literally in the fucking arctic circle you can just fuck off and learn 2 drive m8

define retarded

do you even snow?

In february that picture would look like a day ending in 'y' where i live. Certainly not a state of emergency

>you can just fuck off and stay home so I don't rear ended by your all-season no traction ass.

FTFY

you can just GIT GUD m8

its called leaving room to fucking stop on ice even with normal tires and driving slower.

fucking retards i swear on me mum

what about people who can drive fast on snow?
in my opinion it takes much much more "git good" to haul ass on snow than to do what you said and go slow

there is a difference between having fun on icy back roads and trying to be sanic on a public street full of womens and childrens

Isn't Alberta in the Arctic circle?

when i drive in snow, i try to do the first one.
sadly my skill level isnt there. once in my jeep i hit a snowdrift so hard it spun me around. nearly got stuck.

dude if I can drive my shitty front wheel drive chebby sedan in snow for hours then its p obvious snow tires are a meme and its more about driving skill than a bunch of metal dots on your tires

you need to go more north or further inland to see real snow.

I kek every time it snows here in NYC and people blunder around like its the end of the world.

>just another winter day in the Midwest.

mfw i've never seen snow

real snow looks like this

D B H
B
H

S A M
A
M

>3 people from Wisconsin on Veeky Forums
sure is comfy

wtf I hate snow now.

If I come up behind you crawling along please pull over and let me pass if going around isn't an option. I like being able to go 55.

When I was younger, and poor, I did as you do - crawl along.

Never thought I'd find out that I live in the same state of 4 other posters here

I'm gonna throw in my two cents here

Yes, you can get through snow without dying on summer tires. You'll have to reduce your speed, take corners more carefully and so on, but you'll most likely get there. We're now talking about your average drive with very few inclines, with snow that doesn't reach up to the bumper and similar situations with no ice on the ground

Then you'll switch situation and imagine the drives of a person who lives in areas where the roads are covered in a solid sheet of scraped ice from November to early April, and who perhaps even lives in an area with a lot of inclines, steep hills, mountain roads and whatnot. Even here you'd probably get around with AWD and some ok all-season tires (guy I knew with a RAM 1500 did it), but your braking capability especially is quite weak when you compare to a proper winter tire, both studded and unstudded.

I do not see a reason to buy a set of winter tires when you live in a state/area where you have very irregular, light and wet snowfalls, and where the overall pace of the traffic drops when snow falls. That however is not acceptable in an area such as mine, where we keep the same speeds both summer and winter. Sure, you leave a bit more room, go easier on the downhills and and the tight turns, but you generally keep the same speeds everywhere.

The difference between the types of tires are huge, and I could not see anyone here seriouly driving on all-seasons or summers throughout a winter around here even if that would be legal, nor do I see anyone buying $1000 worht of studded Nokian tires for 3-4 days of light snowfalls with perhaps a little bit of ice at a crossroads

>why do you use snow tires, loser?
>just buy some chains xDD
consider suicide

if you had winters you would have noticed the difference. also where i live the whole road ices over during the night so just keeping the car going straight requires winter tires or you'll just slide off the road.

kazakhstan reporting in.
i have studless hakkapeliita tires on my pajero. I also carry two pairs of chains in my trunk at all times especially handy when we're in for heavy snow. People who think winter tires are a myth are morons.

well the trick is not sinking in

Are you legit retarded? Have you ever driven in snow? Sure as fuck you havent.

Shit, that reminds me

What the fuck?
Summer tyres are absolute shit in winter.

you guys use studs, or studless?

this is a photo from my last weeks trip. the tyan shan alatau mountains are not in the arctic circle.
this is a couple hours drive from where I live. in the summer.

I use studded, as I'm 98% of the time on ice and it provides that little extra grip, although I'd get along just as fine in all situations with studless.

Getting a new set of OP's pic this winter, as the tires that came with my pickup are 10 years old and complete shit

>using sticky slicks
Are people really so incompetent as to not be able to drive without them?
Is it that hard to find some gosh darn grip?
Buy a wing for when you really need more traction.

t. drives on track, uses street tires (or wet tires) all year long

I just got a rwd sports car, and we don't normally get insane amounts of snow where I live (in the north east, but near the coast), and it's usually plowed pretty quick, but considering that the cars rwd and has a wide wheels should I go with studded for that extra edge it provides (in addition to getting the narrowest tires that fit the wheel).

>we don't normally get insane amounts of snow
>usually plowed pretty quick
>should I go with studded
Gave me a hearty chuckle, thanks user.

No real point when you dont see ice. All that'll do is make more noise, wear the road out quicker, wear the studs, give you worse MPG's and worse performance

If you're looking for tires that are suited to just small/medium amounts of snow with no ice in the US I'd recommend looking at Michelin X-Ice 3's, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's and General Altimax Arctics

the problem is how wide the rears are, the narrowest I could fit on the 10.5in rim is a 265
my old m3 used to do ok on its 245 rears though, so maybe it'd be fine

Thats nothing too much, you'll be just fine. People run those sizes on their shitty Audi A4's, C-Class Mercs and similar cars around my parts with no trouble

Just put the right pressure in them and practice to find the slipping edge

This is clearly bait but I'm sure some people feel snow tires aren't useful and all seasons are just fine. Once you have used actual snow tires, you'll realize just how much better they are at the job than all seasons.

Snow tires are a tool. It's like trying to twist a screw in with your fingers instead of getting a screw driver. It works to a degree but it will never be secure.

Hence why chains are cheaper, as its the equivalent of just using your heads to smash in the screw. Simpler and cheaper, as you dont have to buy and mantain tools

Kek FWD fuck boy spotted try driving an FR in snow it dosent work at all without winter tires.

8 years driving in North ontario

Americans cant drive in winter conditions for shit, guess why.

Because they drive on summer and all season tires.

Winter tires is different from summer tires and is made specifically for winter conditions.

OP is a retard.

They have the FREEDOM to use whatever tyre they please.