Why aren't there as many affordable (<$50k) RWD cars today as there were 20 years ago?

Why aren't there as many affordable (

Other urls found in this thread:

vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8145
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>frs
>decent
pick one.

I'm using the term lightly.

I mean... You should have picked up on that.

What about a camaro or mustang? Or a miata/fiat 124?

All better than a toyobaru in everything other than looks.

Mustang, Camaro, 370Z, G37/whatever its successor is, Miata/MX-5, Challenger, Genesis Coupe, BMW 1/2/3/45/6 series, Merc C-class?

Chevy SS seems pretty nice performance wise

People realized that FWD, compared to RWD:
Is more fuel efficient
Cheaper to manufacture
Weighs less
Allows better handling in rain and snow
Provides better cabin room to length ratio

The only advantages RWD had are in acceleration and high speeds handling, neither of which matters a lick to 95% of car owners.

The people voted with their wallets and said "we don't care about which wheels spin"

fiat 124

Yeah, I also forgot about the Cadillacs (CTS/ATS) and most of the Lexus lineup.

You can get a used ATS pretty cheap, probably not hooned too as most of them are bought by old farts

Just so I'm not quoting every single post, the FRS is the only rwd car under 3,000 lbs that doesn't make you look queer and the cost of ownership isn't high.

Because the people who bought them got old and moved on to Minivans and SUVs. First hand experience, my mom went from the Celica I grew up in to a Mercedes A-class, a friend of the family used to have a miata in the early 90s, he's driving the FWD BMW minivan today.

The generation that replaced them doesn't give a single shit about cars. Even the "enthusiasts" only really care about numbers over driving feel. Veeky Forums preferring a FiST over a Toyobaru speaks volumes.

>inb4 "muh feels"
You're the cancer that is killing cars.

>228i

240 hp turbo i4 / rwd / stickshift
3,260 lb curb weight
$32k base

>The FRS
>doesn't make you look queer
Hey Toyota shill, maybe you missed the last meeting, but Scion is dead so you're eating your time.

What's so bad about a FRS, OP?

I trust Vorshlag's opinion on it over yours. And they've built dozens of faster track cars.

vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8145

>I hope we can get these FT86 twins back out to ECR soon and really open them up. I haven't had this much fun tracking a sub-200 whp car... EVER.

>Yes, I will admit that driving the BRZ on track with these minor mods was a lot of fun. And I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to track cars, normally driving something with nearly three times this power level, which says a lot about the "fun factor" of the FT86. The car did everything so well - turning, stopping, shifting, corner exit. The pedals are placed perfectly for heel-toe down shifting, the brake and steering feel is superb, the shift throw is short, and the stock seats mostly keep you in place on sticky street tires.

>>numbers over driving feel

you sound like the faggot that thinks your shitty meme Corolla is better than a Porsche because of the 'feel' of driving it.

you don't know what a nice car feels like and you never will, you'll die a poorfag boy racer and I'll still be fucking your mum.

>FR-S
>BRZ
>Miata
>Fiata Abarth
>Mustang GT
>Camaro SS (V6 is good too)
>Challenger 6.4L
>Genesis Coupe
>Focus RS and WRX can be set to bias rear wheels for skidz
>370Z
>Chevy SS
>BMW 235

Yep, affordable RWD is dead

Ok

Name a sporty 2016-2017 rwd car weighing under 3,000 lbs that isn't a Miata, 124, 86, or economy/compact car.

God, most rwd cars, today, are fucking pigfat...

someone cap this

>thinking a stupid fucking macan/cayenne/panamera feels better than a 1970s-80s rwd corolla because of the porsche badge and msrp

retard

confirmed for memester

you like a car because it was featured in an anime, don't go calling anyone else retarded bub.

>I trust Vorshlag's opinion on it over yours.

yeeessss, good good...! everyone should buy an FR-S and turn it into a god machine with Vorshlag™ recommended products!

Uh, mustang, camaro, challenger/charger twins, Hyundai Genesis coupe, miata, 86.....

All terrible.

>I can't like my car because I like how it feels to drive, the only measure of a cars worth is a spec sheet
You are fucking cancer. I drive a manual, FWD, sub 125hp, 4 door econobox, and I have fun in it every day.

just because it was in a anime doesn't make it less fun or entertaining to drive. and they still had a cult following in europe/japan even before initial d was a thing among teenage weeaboos in america

Miatas, FDs, GTRs, MR2s, Type R Hondas, and Evos were also in initial d and no one says YOU LIKE THE FD BECAUSE IT WAS IN INITIAL D!!1111

you're inexperienced if you think the macan/cayenne/panamera is anywhere as good as a old classic air cooled 911, btw. simply naive. i can't call you retarded because i know there's people that genuinely believe things like that

Their products are pretty high quality, and they originally started out making camber plates for E36 BMWs. They also make a bunch of stuff for 5.0 Mustangs, Evo/STis, C5s, and E30/36/46 BMWs. I like reading their build threads, they're very in depth and full of technical knowledge.

>waaah someone has an informed opinion that differs from my uniformed one
eat a dick faggot

I said Fiesta ST, not Porsche. Nice strawman though, quite a step up from Veeky Forums's usual ecoboost and minivan memes.

God, u r a fuckin retar + d

Too heavy for the power.

BMW is shit.

The 86 is one of the best cars ever made though. It does everything well.

>FRS and BRZ are the same car
>Abarth is FWD
>Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger all shit boat platforms with fucked suspension
>Buying a hyundai when your buget is not less than $4000
>Focus RS and WRX bias is nothing like true RWD
>CHEVY SS LMAO
yes someone please cap this tweens comprehensive list of every RWD car currently in production

>Abarth is FWD
He's talking about the Fiat Miata, the 170bhp turbo version from Fiat's in-house tuner Abarth. But yeah, it's a miata.

And still beats all Veeky Forums cars...

tfw RR cars are rare in the civilized world

Best sleeper sedan for that price. In the states they are v8 only and look like a depressing old buick or base model chevy, but have the same sort of power as mustangs and corvettes.

Reminder: Mk4 Supra cost $40-50,000.

The last year for production for the Mk4 was 2002. Adjust 50 grand for inflation. BAM, $67,000.

Y'all fuckers want more power, more tech, and more luxury but expect it to be cheaper. It ain't happening. Not unless you expect Toyota to stay in business.

Supra successor is gonna be like $80,000 starting *minimum* especially since BMW has their shitty brand on it. Actually more like $95,000 starting now that I think about it.

I'm sure the MK4 Supra is too heavy for OP's taste anyways.

These delusional kids want to have a 2500lb 300hp 2+2 seats car with all the bells and whistles for $25k. Oh yeah, and it needs to be super tunable so it needs to reach 400whp with just a tune and it needs to be reliable all the way to 300k miles with nothing but oil changes.

They're like delusional basement dwellers that think an otherwise beautiful woman isn't worth dating if she was big hands or something.

Also there's more drivetrain loss when you go with RWD over FWD. I like RWD as much as the next guy but come on there's pros and cons to both platforms. I'll never forget Camaro SS owners tears. Someone bought an auto (LOL) 2010 Camaro SS and had it dynoed.

Factory says it was rated for 426hp at the crank. Dyno came out to be 305whp. DESU the manual version didn't do much better something like 330whp which is still almost 100hp lost. Now factor in the curb weight which is 3900lbs. A fucking Maxi will put up the same power to weight figures. What a damn letdown.

The absolute best bang for your buck right now is a 370z. It's a solid, all around sports car starting at $29,000. V6, 2 seats, good styling, fairly comfy, bulletproof trans and motor, boltons will give you close to mid 300whp - you can't ask for anything better. That or a Genesis coupe.

you people are so fucking stupid it makes me hurt inside

But it isnt a sports car...

>Why aren't there as many affordable (

Well, 20 years ago the equivalent of $50k in today's money would be $32,599 in 1996 money.

I blame inflation for that sort of shit. It's the same thing when old cunts talk about how you can't go buy a gallon of milk for a dime anymore.

Um, yeah you can nigger.for example, you can get a z32 in pretty good condition for 10 grand and I'm sure you could get a really clean one for far less than 25k.

Camaro and Mustang: heavy, no feedback in steering.

I bought my 135i for 14k and it would run circles around that pos all day long. These rose colored glass threads are fucking stupid

370z
not a sports car

kek

you forgot one.

Nothing affordable is ever going to weight less than 3k lbs now. There's too many safety and comfort features on modern cars for that. If you want something under 3k lbs, go get an E30.

Yes it is you idiot.

>wahhhh he pointed out that a company was shilling and ergo nobody gives a shit about the sub-par car they're shilling for.

Get out kike.

I own a "WRX" (STI) and I can tell you they don't skid they understeer, even with the DCCD set to 30/70 split. Pic is my car

>NA
>bulletproof motor
Pls

because hot hatches exist

>muh tinfoil hat
lol

>370Z
>Decent

that shit is at least 10 years behind

>2010
It's the newer ones you want to look at. Over here it's a family sedan and when Holden got the news GM was giving them the snip they said fuck it and put the LS3 in the family sedan.

People have become sugarcoated cunts.

Everything is full of assists. Literally handicapped.

This shit is even bleeding into motorcycles
What the fuck is traction control?
That said I'm all for silly neck airbags.

ABS and traction control are a good thing for motorcycles though. They're not nannies that stop you from having fairly safe fun like in a car, they're safety nets that stop you from dying.

>I have no idea what I'm talking about
If you don't know what the Fiata is you should probably leave

>370z
>Genesis Coupe
Literally the worst two options

>he didn't buy a godmachine

KYS

In Europe, the GT86 was awarded the following titles in 2012:

Car of the Year by Top Gear magazine (and Jeremy Clarkson) who also crowned it Coupé of the Year and winner of the Top Gear Speed Week (against competition including the McLaren MP4-12C, Porsche 911 Carrera S, and Lotus Exige S);[70]
Best Driver's Car by Autocar;[71]
Performance Car by Auto Express.[72]

In Australia, the 86 was awarded the following titles in 2012:

Car of the Year award by Wheels magazine,[73] Carsguide,[74] and Drive[75] (shared with Subaru BRZ);
Best Performance Car under A$60,000 and People's Choice again by Drive;[75]
People's Choice Best Performance Car under A$100,000 by Carsales (shared with Subaru BRZ).[76]

Other awards received include:

2012 Car of the Year in New Zealand (Toyota 86 and GT86);[77]
2012 Best Affordable Sports Car by US News (Scion FR-S);[78]
2012 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick in the US (Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ);[79]
2013 Top Ten Best Cars by the American Car and Driver (Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ);[80]
2012-2013 Japan Car of the Year "Special Award" (Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ).[70]

>Car of the Year by Top Gear magazine (and Jeremy Clarkson) who also crowned it Coupé of the Year and winner of the Top Gear Speed Week (against competition including the McLaren MP4-12C, Porsche 911 Carrera S, and Lotus Exige S)

LOL, you are so naive. Those awards are to stroke the egos of manufacturers who change their lineup a bit. Are you so retarded as to believe that it's actually better than the Carrera S, Exige S and MP4-12C?

>has never driven one harder then his limped wristed faggot ass can handle

You'd think with all the cocks you jerk off your wrists would be strong as hell to handle a mustang or a camaro on the track.

>Europe

Yeah I really care what an entire continent with no car culture thinks

only because they were new on the scene. Do you think a car that gets stomped by minivans and miatas is really all that great for 27k?

IDTST

>From all the cars to bring back RWD, it was the Twingo
If only the electronics weren't such a nanny

>shart in mart car education

>implying I am an ameriflapper

X Culture is literally always a bad thing.
>car culture
>board culture
>gun culture
>art culture
>music culture
Literally all horrible things that hold back the thing they are actually about and need to die.

are you shitposting from an ipad?

the real problem is that it becomes 'X culture' when enough normies get into it and subsequently ruin it

What do you know about car culture?

You cant even drive legally as fast as your car allows...

1/4: 14.9

why is everyone running in the 15.5 to 16 secs at my local track ?
i never saw one of these run 14s

General rule of thumb about drag racing: take whatever the manufacturer time is and add another second.

>Wear and tear of the car and tires
>Hitting the pit and traction loss
>Humidity
>Driver skill
etc

When the manufacturer tests their car, they have the best driver in the best conditions with the best tires and they take the best time out of 100 or so passes.

Because normies and their faggot crossovers have too much of a foothold in the market now. The future of the auto industry is fucked.

It's a GT car at best. Disgusting pigfat tbqh

Oh boy here we go

>0-60 reported as low as 4.5 sec
>not decent
Ok