Rolls Royce Phantom

Alright Veeky Forums,

Thanks to you I've become an ultimate comfy slut. Now, since I love comfy and am also something of an attention whore too, I've been lustily eyeing the mid-00's Rolls Royce Phantom. I've always had a special place in my heart for this beast ever since it came out, and if I start setting aside money now, and at the rate they are depreciating, I should be able to afford one in 5 years. The only thing that makes me worry would be the maintenance costs - are they completely insane?

>asking Veeky Forums about unicorn tier luxobarges

I know, but maybe one of you is a Rolls tech or knows what website to point me at.

Other urls found in this thread:

carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/attack-of-the-clones-the-most-shameless-knock-off-car-designs/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_Ecstasy
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15409026/#q15409026
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In short, yes costs will be completely insane and almost nobody will want to touch it.

They will be absurd, but I mean, I'd go for it. Follow your dreams an/o/n.

I've read that annual maintenance averages about $4000 with oil changes running about $600/year.

That's if nothing breaks.

So if you can set aside ~$450/mo. for maintenance, I guess why not?

iirc RR mechs are $150/hr.

I could manage that. Why are the oil changes so expensive?

RR parts advisor here - they're basically an expense level above the 7 series, which is pretty rich seeing as they're based on F01 underpinnings, albeit with everything cranked up to 11.

Google search on pistonheads - there's a couple of in depth threads from guys who have daily driven them - they're not nearly as expensive as you'll be lead to believe. Awesome customer support from the factory, they'll bend over backwards to keep things running smoothly.

That's 3 oil changes per year at $200 each, I'm guessing.

Fucking thing probably takes 12L or more of full synthetic and a $50 filter, plus having them do it for you. Do the math.

Lol I'd be the rare weirdo who changes his own oil.

But I like doing my own maintenance, so yay.

No worries, I do it myself too. I don't trust anyone else with my car, haha.

I like your idea here. I bet it's not as bad as everyone says. My first real car was a 20 year old Jag and I kept it in perfect running shape by myself with zero experience. I had to sell it because it was automatic and pigfat, but it was the most comfortable thing fucking ever. I bet if you get a Rolls, you'll feel like I did (i.e. a fucking king) every time you drive it, so I'm behind you 100%.

That's reassuring, thanks for the tip. Any other ownership tips while you're here?

You and I are on the same wavelength, lol.

I told my wife I'd get a chauffeur cap and drive her and our daughter to the mall in it whenever and drop them off for fun.

There's a country club in my neighborhood that hosts weddings sometimes, I'm considering driving newlyweds in it for fun and extra cash, as well as the tax write off benefits.

That's hilarious. That's what my brother and friends kept urging me to do.

Believe me, it feels awesome (even if you don't wear the cap) because it's YOUR car and no one can deny the quality. I know mine was just a Jag but it's really not that far behind in quality of materials when compared to a Rolls or a Bentley of the time. Hell, even used the exact same leather.

Go for it. Keep us updated too!

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the support, I'll be sure to return with updates!

Cheap to buy, not to own.

>I've been lustily eyeing the mid-00's Rolls Royce Phantom.

Consider the look-alike Rolls Royce model made and sold by a major chinese car manufacturer. They even have a similar Spirit of Ecstasy hood ornament.

carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/attack-of-the-clones-the-most-shameless-knock-off-car-designs/

The Geely GE at the 2009 Shanghai motor show looked just like the Rolls Royce Phantom.

The copy was complete with an imitation of Rolls Royce's famous trademark hood ornament Spirit of Ecstasy atop its familiar-looking upright grille (only leaning forward rather than backwards). It also had a bizzare throne-style single seat for the rear passenger. The GE was designed with a retail price closer to £30k than the £250k you’d need to get into a real Phantom.

Rolls Royce Spirit of Ecstasy:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_Ecstasy

Just think, you could buy a Geely and then go to the chinese shopping site Alibaba (AliExpress?) and buy some claimed to be "authentic" Rolls Royce badges. Slap those badges on and you have an "authentic" Rolls Royce. It should be okay since the USA accepts chinese claimed standards:

My boss is huge RR fan and has RR collection of more than 10 cars. His dd is s class, that should tell you something. For same money you can buy newer s class with less miles on the clock. I cant say anything about ride quality, but my boss says s class is more relaxing (both 221 and 222) I sat in both however. WHile quality is same, maybe even a bit better in Benz, its still just an s class while RR has amazing presence and diverts all eyes to itself. Personaly i like Ghost more. But i hear its 7 series under fancy body.

>RR has amazing presence and diverts all eyes to itself.
You live in a great area user. In my area, you drive that RR anywhere and people will key it because LOL LOL racist cracka deserves it. You'll have to tow it too or else its parts will get stripped that night,

What shithole do you live in?

>What shithole do you live in?

Maybe he lives in one of these places? There are large parts of the USA with severe Jekyll and Hyde crime problems. That is, the city or town looks good in the daytime and you are in the good tourist areas of the city. But at night, the city changes nature and becomes dangerous to the unprepared.

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15409026/#q15409026

>There are large parts of the USA with severe Jekyll and Hyde crime problems.

My city doesn't want to have "White Flight". So even the newspapers don't cover most crimes. Some murders even have zero reports in the news. So it must be some agreement between the new media and the government. I don't like that kind of cooperation because it seems too much like corruption for the sake of prosperity.

OP here, I live in Coto de Caza, CA. I don't know if that means anything to anyone, but I doubt I'll have issues with vandalism.

>What shithole do you live in?
Is there any place that doesn't have problems? You can live in a great place, but the problem makers come to you. I live in a wealthy suburb area which has very little native-caused crime. Almost all the crime occurs because the thieves commute here during the day to steal or mug and then commute back home via mass transit with their loot. The bus system is free to poor if they apply for those subsidized bus passes.

Now this is a great car to swap an LS into. Given the maintenance costs it'll pay for itself in 5 years.

Gated community FTW
No poors allowed

What do you guys think about older Rolls, like the ones from the 80s/90s?

>Almost all the crime occurs because the thieves commute here during the day to steal or mug and then commute back home via mass transit with their loot. The bus system is free to poor if they apply for those subsidized bus passes.

The 1980s called, they want their white flight mentality back.

>pre BMW rolls

even worse

OP's is actually just fine.
Has the bulletproof 4.4l BMW engine, same basic idrive and i think the same air suspension that the X5's had. It's essentially a BMW partsbin.

Cheaper to maintain than people think.

>I doubt I'll have issues with vandalism
Is that town a well-off area for Rolls Royce owners? My city is the typical one in

what will you do when mommy and daddy kick you out of their basement?

They'll die far before they remember I'm still alive in there. I'm in the inheritance for the house, all is well.

it doesn't have a 4.4l

it has a 6.75L V12

>bulletproof 4.4l BMW engine
Burns 1 quart oil every 700 miles.

>They'll die far before they remember I'm still alive in there. I'm in the inheritance for the house, all is well.

A lot of parents will be unable to leave the house to the kids. After having exhausted their savings in the Great Recession, the medical costs during retirement (not covered by the watered down Obamacare) for a nursing home or cheaper assisted living means the house has a lien on it. Thus it won't go to the kids as inheritance. All those kids that didn't care about deficit spending in addition to the bailout costs for wall streeters will face the music then as there will be no help from the nearly bankrupt government then.

Most people know it as the "real housewives of Orange county" community. There's an old billionaire here, General William Lyon, who has a 200 acre spread and a collection of RR's. I saw someone driving a new Wraith the other day, mmmmm.
I haven't lived with my parents in over 20 years because oldfag.

Rolls Royces got a bad rep becasue during the 80's and 90's they had one of the most over complicated and electrically fucked cars in the market, so mechanics had to take weeks to diagnose and fix mechanical problems. But ever since Bimmer turned them into fancy 7 series' they have improved dramatically in the reliability area, but I would go the route of Bentley just because they perform better and are just as luxurious