Why can't America design a cheap sports car? I mean apart from this sorry piece of shit

Why can't America design a cheap sports car? I mean apart from this sorry piece of shit.

>inb4 v6 stang

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t6nV12oMIm4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

op first you need to define a good sports car.

>Why can't America design a sports car?

only Japan has gotten this right

>MR2
>Miata
>FR-S
etc

they did once, but never tried again.

what about the fiat miata?

>Why can't America design a cheap sports car?
They can. They're more than capable of it. But they won't. The end result would be too small to sell very well and wouldn't be worth the investment cost

>>Miata
Literally copied the spirit of the old British roadsters.

op said cheap. derp

wasn't that 85% Ford parts or something?

for a better price and better reliability

US companies could pour billions of dollars into R&D and you would get a great car that sells well everywhere but the US

Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Sky Redline, GTO, Hellcat

>Saleen, a Ford tuner
>isn't that 85% Ford?

Veeky Forums.

>FR-S
>Good sports car
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Only the engine is Ford

worked in a pantera?
sunbeam tiger
cobra
all good sports cars

>cheap sports car
>$400K

Except better and they actually made it. What's USA's excuse?

>Fiero

>FR-S
>380,000,000,000 tons
>20 hp N/A engine
>half a city block wide

>sports car

exactly the point

Miata has the market share state side. Why bother jumping into to such a limited sales base? So people will troll less online?

>Why doesnt Europe have high horsepower v8 on-ramp-allstars for cheap?

They exist

Cobalt SS
Fusion GT
Buick LeSabre w/sc
Mustang V6
Camaro V6
LeMans
Fiesta Rally

A lot of these are as shitty(some even shittier[looking at you LeMans]) as a FR-S, but they were cheap "sports" cars for their time.

>Fiesta Rally
>Built by Ford of Europe

Sorry OP, I prefer the Saturn

>only 2800lb

that's around half what a Mustang weighs

What kind of argument is that?

>why bother, Toyota has sedan sales locked up
>why bother, Porsche has sports car sales locked up
>why bother, BMW has lux sedan sales locked up

Are you a 50 year old woman?

also I should add
>built for Ford World Rally Team which is based in the UK with a British team principle
>all drivers have been European except for a Kenyan, Emirati and New Zealander

No one said new Mustangs aren’t pigfat

>Commuter box with spoiler and bodykit
>fish faced commuter sedan with high-strung grenade engine
>ultimate "drive to the doctor for blood work" mobile
>im
>plying
>200 HP out of a 400CID V8
>not even american

It's still a Japanese car with a bodykit from fiat.

80s Shelbies?

>Buick LeSabre
>4,000lb
>under 200bhp

I guess Americans have a strange definition of "sports car".

Fiero
Corvair
Corvette
Solstice/Sky

fwd cant be a sports car
neither can anything with more than 2 seats

The only people I've seen driving the Pontiacs have been 50 year old women, while the only people I've met with a Saturn Sky (not even a Redline) was a 60 year old man

>known for catching on fire
>known for being unsafe at any speed
>leaf springs
>neither brand even exists anymore, 3000lb for a 2-seater compact roadster

Its an argument because they would have to dump quite a bit of R & D into it with little chance of success.

They just cant do cheap for some reason. Even the focus rs is 40k. A mustang with a proper v8 sets you back at least that especially if you buy it with any kind of options.

They just seem obcessed with not taking risks and just building faster versions of existing platforms then selling them at a premium. Im just assuming theyre doing it because a shit load of market research says so and not because they want to troll\confuse internet forums

Supercar, not sportscar.

Sports catfish

>Mustang
Ponycar
>Camaro
Ponycar
>Corvette
Grand Tourer
>GTO
Muscle car
>Hellcat
Muscle car

Only the Sky is a true
sportscar.

>LeMans
>5.7L V8
>200hp
>looks like this

I see what you mean, this must have been the "glory days" that domestic car fans wax poetic about. An MX-5 has nothing on this

>Max curb of Mustang 3800lbs
>3800/2=1900lbs

>Its an argument because they would have to dump quite a bit of R & D into it with little chance of success.

If it was actually "good" then why is it a little chance of success? How much money is Ford pouring into the GT and Chevy into the new mid engined Vette? How come Toyota and Subaru can dump the money but the "Big Three" can't?

Mostly the engine (a twinturbo 427 SBF). Ford didn't have a midengined chassis or anything Saleen could back then, so it's probably only 50-60% Ferd.

>Cobalt SS
Not a sportscar. Sporty coupe.
>Fusion GT
Hopped up sedan.
>Buick LeSabre w/sc
Hopped up sedan
>Mustang V6
Could've had a V8. Also, ponycar.
>Camaro V6
Could've had a V8. Also, ponycar.
>LeMans
No, just, no.
>Fiesta Rally
Euro Ford.

>cant do cheap for some reason

I think it's because they're not very smart. The Asians seem to figure it out time and time again.

FWD and lolcan'tturn.

Nice cars, but no sportscars. The 80's version of a hot hatch.

>Fiero
True. Although some engine outputs were pathetic (but so were the miata's).
>Corvair
No. Compact commuter.
>Corvette
Grand Tourer.
>Solstice/Sky
True.

>difference between 3800 and 2800 is one ton
>one tonne = 2200lb

American math education, everyone

Why does the car on the left weigh 550lb-700lb less than the car on the right? Is that the best that GM could do?

Give me any downside to transverse fibreglass leafsprings except that they're an old design.

>Coil spring patented in 1763
>Leaf spring invented 1804

>Coil springs first appeared on a production vehicle in 1906 in the Brush Runabout made by the Brush Motor Company.
>Fibreglass leaf springs first used in the C4 (1984)

Rising tide raises all boats argument there. Research and tech developed for bleeding edge super cars trickles down to the entire line up over time. It also a status symbol and something to make posters with so little jimmy is more likely to stop by a ford/dodge/chev dealership when he goes to buy a new car.

They must feel that the market for a low cost sports coupe is more or less satisfied and when it comes to risk reward its a lot easier to break an investment like that into straight black and white dollars and cents. Where as something like a ford gt or turning the corvette into a rocket ship or unleashing a nearly undrivable hellcat tends to offer more benefits to the company that arent so easly tracked and as such can be sold as a "big idea".

Tl;dr- Old thinking and a fear to make a mistake

Ponycar.

>Why does the car on the left weigh 550lb-700lb less than the car on the right?
Because Mazda purposely designed the N platform

Meanwhile at GM, they slapped some parts from a bin together.

>downside to leafsprings

Hyundai has the balls to make a sports (or sporty) car from scratch but GM, Ford and Chrysler are too chickenshit.

Because it's faster :^)

Are you retarded? I'm asking out of geniune curiosity, cause there was literally never a mention of tons in the conversation.

Those other automakers do it because asia. Also they cater to other european markets that generally enjoy smaller vehicles and have for some time. So with so much of their lineup in that price range and size when they decided to add horsepower into the mix you get the cars american car companies are too scared to or simply not interested in making.

Correlation does not equal causation. There is no indication those leafsprings caused the accident - there's plenty of other GM parts that could have caused that accident.

I'll move the goalpost a bit:
>Give me any downside to transverse fibreglass leafsprings (when not being designed by General MartShart) except that they're an old design.

S2k
NXT
Niggers forget all about Honda

>downside to leafsprings
people will see them?

The Solstice is a floaty boat and nowhere near the Miata in terms of actually being fun

100% true and it was a pretty good first attempt. Genesis sell like shit though. And their redesign for the new g badge is looking like its going to be a 50k+ twin turbo. So even they'll be out of the mix. They are beefing up the elantra with a new turbo sport modle and the veloster might get some love. Who knows. As much as i like the gennys its hard to call them a success as far as sales or profit go

Are domestic brands uninterested in selling to yuros and asians? Sounds retarded desu

S2000 is a price category above
NSX is several categories above
This thread is about cheap cars

I just think it's funny that the Koreans can mess around and build what they want but the Big Three are too scared. How times have changed.

keep thinking that. Meanwhile, the Japanese are wishing GM sold the Solstice over there.
youtube.com/watch?v=t6nV12oMIm4

I'm willing to bet that the Sky/Solstice is better than the Miata in everything besides curb weight

They dont really have good penetration outside of a few specific markets. That might be because they dont offer a wide enough variety of platforms... Meh. Who knows.

It'll have trouble shaking the old womans sports car image

because american companies are more interested in profit with shitty cars rather than profit with good cars

it's like the automotive equivalent of mcdonalds

I've driven them, that's my subjective opinion. You can really feel the weight transfer in the Sky vs the Miata. I'm not a world-class Japanese race car driver though and just drove them around twisty roads.

Well Pontiac and Saturn no longer even exist as brands so the Miata is better in that regard

Toyota doesn't exactly set the world on fire with the Camry and Corolla either, but they still make the GT86/FR-S and various neat Lexuses

Just use it to get some of that milf pussy

limited production :^)

>but they still make the GT86/FR-S
Those are built by Subaru.

if they gave it a 3800sc from factory and got more time to fine tune the suspension then it might be considered "good".

But we did.

That was a previous-gen Mercedes SLK when it came out.

then what about the mustang/corvette

Mustang is a ponycar, Corvette is a Grand Tourer.

>no track times to compare
into the trash it goes

You could just refer to >wasnt even the turbocharged model

Corvette is also not cheap

>Why won't America design a cheap sports car?
ftfy

because we're still in recession mode. no time for fun unless you have a muscle car, econoboxes rule.

You sound autistic

beep beep

What up

Not a sportscar. A sort of convertible minicar (compared to contemporary cars in the USA)

Not a production car.

Then no one on earth has made a sports car. A sports car does not exist as of yet

Miata.
Original Italian spiders.
Original British roadsters

Stuff like that are clearly sportscars. The Crosley is not, and the 818 is not an American-made production car.

But those are a bunch of convertible mini cars of sorts

The Crosley was designed from the ground up as an economy vehicle, meant to salvage the company as it had bought the rights to the CoBra engine, demand for which plummeted after the end of WW2.

All of those sportscars I mentioned never began as economy cars. There's a completely different goal altogether.

Also, compare a Crosley to the average '49 USDM car. Now compare a Miata to the average 1990 JDM car, and those Brit and Itak roadsters to the average car back then.

How's it feel that one of your "sports cars" gets btfo by something meant as an economy car

Sports cars aren't always performance cars.

>under 200
>supercharged
Are you retarded? go to wikipedia and look up the 3800

Sounds like they reached the same conclusion. A cheap, fuel efficient mini car that which demand died off with in the end.
All mini cars in comparison

Toyota forked over quite a bit of cash and time into R&D

>recession
>Hellcat
>infinite Mustangs and Camaros
>new Vettes every other week
>Ford GT
>mid engined Corvette supercar in the works