Will old brake pads make my brakes engage later in pedal travel?

Will old brake pads make my brakes engage later in pedal travel?

My brakes do not activate well until about 3" or so into pedal travel. Is this because my pads are old and worn? I do not have a leak or air in my system either.

If your brakes are failing get them fucking serviced. God damn why is this such a difficult concept for people? Being broke isn't an excuse, you should always have at least $500 in your savings for service.

sounds like more of a brake line problem than a brake pad problem. Have your mechanic look and make sure the cable isn't frayed, loose, or getting snagged on something.

are your pads old and worn? have you inspected them and found them to be so?

I mean I can feel them activating a LITTLE BIT but they don't actually stop the car until about 3" give or take into pedal travel.

Nigga.

You can go to autzone and basically replace your entire brake setup for like 300$ you could literally not even trouble shoot and just replace the entire system for that amount. The fucks wrong with you fix your shit.

Also maybe its about time to replace your brake fluid. It will retain moisture and water doesnt work like brake fluid. Your pad thickness isnt the problem in my opinion. Also check your lines any rubber ones especially as they can bubble and stretch .

Yeah, it's a pad problem. Brakes work by when you press the pistol, pistons in the caliper force the pad to bodyslam the rotors. If your pads are too worn, the pistons will have to travel more to engage which means the brake pedal will have more travel as well.

That is so wrong it hurts. Pistons and pads don't reset to a constant position when you release pressure.

This

If that were th case you wouldn't need to compress the pistons back into the caliper when you replace the pads because they would constantly be back in the original position.

OP, no, it's not your pads causing your pedal to be soft.

If you are sure there are no lines in the rotors than you have brake fade which is essentially FUBAR pads/rotors. Do you live in the mountains or do any spirited driving?

You need to adjust your brakes if you have drums on the rear, it you have a fucked master. Dickhead.

With the wheel off does your brakes look like this?

Wait a minute...

No I know it looks funny because its the drivers side so its opposite the passenger side. Cause race car.

jeeeeeeesus christ

>inside pad is on backwards
>shiggy diggy

Thank you, we would not have otherwise noticed.

Obvious troll is obvious

But the customer had the same complaint. Takes a lot of pedal to stop and making a slight noise when braking

bump

This.

Get someone to pump the brakes while you check every rubber hose. This is usually the first problem.

That, or your brake master is going out and it isn't pumping enough fluid anymore.

Well it was obviously let like that for a while you can see where the piston made contact with the pad

Would it fucking hurt you to be more precise?

Did the problem happen suddenly or gradually?
Last brake fluid change?
Last pad/disk change?

The easiest fix is to flush your brake fluid and bleed your system. (that's easy, you only need a 8mm wrench, some tubing and a bottle, there's a thousand tutorial on youtube)

If that does not fix it, check your flex for cracks, check for leaks, check your whole system. If you see nothing wrong, you're pretty much fucked because it's your master cylinder leaking internally.

If it hits the floor there's air in the system. Last time a brake flush was done the tech was probably a dipshit and let some air in. Air compresses, brake fluid does not. You'll probably have to bleed the brake system.

>cable

It does not hit the floor. It holds it's place well when you munch it down but it takes 3" before it engages enough to properly decelerate the car

get some uprated pads avoid ebc

The only other thing I could think of is that the pushrod on the master cylinder doesn't come out all the way. A pedal shouldn't have 3" of play.

Yeah that could just mean a little air is in the system. You press the pedal, the small amount of air compresses easily under your foot, and then the brake fluid starts doing it's hydraulic thing and then you start to feel the braking action.

I just changed some worn brake pads yesterday. When you stop with your shit brake pads the caliper piston brings the pad next to the rotor and the piston stays there, in its extended position. It doesnt go back when you get off the brake pedal. So I guess you can say automotive calipers are self compensating for pad wear. However worn brake pads fade really easily because they are 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, so more force is needed for the same stop.

If you have drum brakes open them up and see how worn they are, if they have to travel much to make contact that will likely be the cause of the excessive travel if air has been ruled out..
If the shoes are worn out, replace them, if they look OK then adjust the gap on them and try again.

No, no way someone did that...

Yeah. There's some piston marks on the pad.

Customer probably had brakes done and problems. So took it to this mechanics and picture is for his WTF folder.

That's usually because you have air in the brake system. You need to bleed your brakes. Might as well change out the pads and rotors at the same time since it's the same amount of work and less than $100 worth of parts for OEM quality trash.

Brakes haven't used cables since the 20s or some shit. Clearly he isn't talking about the handbrake.

Usually water saturation just lowers boiling temperature. When your fluid boils, the brakes stop working entirely, and your foot will go straight to the floor. That's not what OP is describing.

The brake system fills with fluid from the master cylinder reservoir to make up the slack from pad wear.

>However worn brake pads fade really easily because they are 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, so they have less thermal mass to keep themselves at operating temperature.
FTFY.

How do you know there's no air in your system? It really sounds like your master cylinder has air in there. If you're not losing fluid then you don't have a leak but if it has far travel then that kinda rules out everything else. Bad pads will increase your travel but not a crazy amount.

That's what fade is I'm saying what the result of fade is

HUR DURR THERMO 101 WAS HARD GUYS