Should the legal driving age be raised in the USA? Why should teenagers be allowed to drive...

Should the legal driving age be raised in the USA? Why should teenagers be allowed to drive? I hate seeing these kids on the road driving stupid.

Other urls found in this thread:

drinkingage.procon.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.
If they're shit drivers at 16, holding them back until they're 20 won't change anything.

Instead, periodic retesting every 6 years would be the best solution to boomers.

would buttfuck

This. The driving age isn't the problem. The PROBLEM is inadequate driver education.

Raise the standards to get a license, and it will change the way people drive. Short of that, banning women and requiring people over 65 to retest every 3 years would make the roads infinitely safer.

>pic related

Driving tests are hilarously easy.

>Left turn here
>Go straight for 5 mins
>Stoplight
>Go right
>Back into parking space

Bam, driver's license in 15 mins

>never been T-boned by a middle-aged mother texting in her SUV or almost run over by an elderly neighbor who gives no fucks.

My aunt has failed hers ten times at least.

>implying women aren't a major problem with regards to driving.

>It's a major problem that women are less likely to kill you when they hit you

No, learning to drive at 16 is not an issue. What the USA really need is a proper driving test that ensures you don't let clueless people drive.

women no paying attention, ever, and getting into more accidents, period, isn't an issue

Penalties for distracted driving should be higher.
>why should teenagers be allowed to drive
So we become a little more independent than our friends across the pond who have to wait until they're basically middle aged to get a learner's permit.

If anything, the age should be dropped to 14. Fuck trying to find a ride to my afterschool job, it was almost not worth working when someone had to constantly shuttle you around.

Besides, here, most kids start driving when they're about 12 or so, and start alone at 13-14, so it doesn't change anything anyway.

More in-depth driver's education, rather than learning by fucking up or not learning at all.

Also, teach them what to do when they accidentally get sideways, or in some cases when they get sideways on purpose

What they should do (and this relates to making a better test) is stop fucking dogging us with pointless bullshit that we get tested on. Like I remember from my 10th grade bullshit Driver's Ed class,

>we had to memorize the 5 or 6 zones around the car or some bullshit like that and the different ways your car can be positioned in the lane.

And then on my test at the DMV one of the questions was like

>What's the exact footage away your car needs to be if parked on the side of the road and there is a fire hydrant.

That didn't fucking teach me driving. Driving is feeling the car and being aware of your surroundings, looking ahead and planning your route while being conscious of the ways it can fuck up. You should know the fucking car well enough that you don't jam on the damn throttle trying to stop or some shit like that.

Your aunt should an hero

I don't think they want more boiracers, but that is actually a good idea

I can infinitely renew my license without testing until I'm a 95 year old semi corpse incapable of wiping my own ass, and beyond, as long as I renew before my expiration date

Driving age should be raised above the drinking age - so you know how it impairs you before getting confidently behind the wheel

Depends on the instructor

>Don't speed, not even one fucking mile per hour
>10 and 2, we don't care about 9 and 3, fuck you
>Stop for pedestrians if they look like they might cross - yes, even if they're that nigga who's always just fucking around on the corner waiting for a drug deal, yes i am a cop, no, i don't care right now
>stop accelerating so fast match pace with the lady safe driver in the nissan rogue, no more than eight miles a second you fucking racer wannabe, that's reckless driving
>Parallel park with a three point manever with so and so deviation from "parallel to the curb" and less than so and so inches from the curb no i do not care if this car is smaller than most everything else it still matters even if you always go to paid garages TOO MUCH ANGLE BEEP TWO MORE TRIES AND YOU'RE OUT BIIITCH

Unfortunately that does nothing for focus and impulse control which is what I see being the primary problem.

Better idea: lower the drinking age to 16 and raise the driving age to 18

it should be the same as in yurop
18 with a harder driving test and a medical autorisation

No. Make distracted driving penalties much higher. 3 months license suspension minimum, plus points and fine. Fuck people who do this.

Then restrict driving based on intelligence tests for those abilities instead of age

Or just require more in-depth tests with regards to actual driving on a high-speed obstacle track with skid pads that tests a person's abilities at the limits

Alcohol, marijuana, and friends have been proven to seriously stunt brain development when consumed so that's a really shit tier public health policy

Do you see how retarded yurop is? Do you want the US to actually be more retarded instead of slightly less retarded?

Why does the consensus here seem to be "be more like yurop"?

>Alcohol, marijuana, and friends have been proven to seriously stunt brain development when consumed so that's a really shit tier public health policy
Yea if you binge drink like a loser
>Do you see how retarded yurop is?
Yurop has better grades than we do, senpai. Although you can blame the South for that really. They are full of sub 100-IQ illiterate retards.

>kids don't already consume booze and weed illegally
el oh el. how blind are you really?

you know the US as a higher rate of fatalities per inhabitant and vehicules than yurop ?
because you can't fucking drive

No.
Just get shitloads of cameras and if you're seen on your phone 500$ fine and lisence suspension for 6 months
2nd offense another 1000$ fine and lisence suspended for 2 years
3rd offense another 1000$ fine and permenant lisence suspension

Any dui/dwi instant 5 year lisence suspension and 6 months of jail and a 2000$ fine
Repeat offense is 5000$ fine and permenant lisence suspension and 2 years

Also make road tests an hour or two and much more stricter and require a drivers education program with like 30 hours of instruction and 30 hours of in car time.
Lisence retests every 5 years or so.

I know when i was a teen i drove even without my lisence so that wont stop kids but hammering down on cellphone bullshit and dui's will make the road a million times safer

And desu guys doing dumb shit is why men's accident rates are higher than womens so if we stopped doing dumb shit thatd help a lot like fuck you dumb shits take a racing course and at least learn how to handle your car before doing 100 down the freeway.

I think we can manage better driving without letting 16 year olds permanently shave 5 IQ points off their noggins

Yurop has better curriculum and a willingness to let children fail

It has nothing to do with letting 16 year olds drink and become lifelong chavs

No thanks. I have two younger sisters and a brother. Oldest just turned 16 and can drive them to school and wherever now. Fucking hated being the only sibling able to drive the last few years having to taxi them everywhere

sure letting teenagers full of hormones speed with 2 tons land barge into another landbarge isn't gonna shave any IQ points at ALL

Speed differences, not just speed, are what cause the accidents in the first place and make speed a deciding factor in damage/fatality rates. Average joe going 70 in a 60 because it's just the natural speed for that road and hypervigillant law-worshipping faggot going 59 because it's the limit, not the minimum, do not mix.

America would do well to raise the speed limits on certain roads according to what people actually drive (the speed limit is essentially set by the road conditions and actual pedestrian traffic, not the predicted road conditions and pedestrian traffic on paper based on so and so crosswalks and houses within 200m) while craccking down HARD on violations in areas where the average flow of traffic is near, below, or at the speed limit

If bureaucrats are unwilling to mix higher speed limits with pedestrian traffic, safer crosswalks with advance warning systems or even proper foottraffic-activated traffic lights with automated enforcement cameras would be a worthwhile investment, because people are going to mindlessly go 40 in that 30 if you don't construct devices that naturally slow non-dagumi traffic.

>But what if SPEED CAMERAS
If you want to collect revenue instead of solving the safety problem yeah

>Should the legal driving age be raised in the USA? Why should teenagers be allowed to drive? I hate seeing these kids on the road driving stupid.

Teenagers are hit and run drivers.
Plain and simple.
There are exceptions to the rule of course.
But when I was in high school, everyone I know was hit and run. Everyone. The attitude was why should I have to pay for someone else's car.

>Yurop has better curriculum and a willingness to let children fail
You don't understand. If you eliminate the South from America, America is pretty much European standards for just about everything from obesity to crime. The South really is a blight on America.

Most guys peak in aggressiveness and therefore rebellious attitudes well after the legal driving age

The average "boyracer" is definitely not a boy, a boy would be too scared

A guy that just found himself emotionally and still has youthful hormone levels? How about a woman who has cemented herself in believing the importance of getting makeup on her face somehow?

If you start kids early, you can form habits that go against the grain of adult complacence and rebellion

The solution to any social problem is always better education.

education is so meaningful when your overall message is weak as all fuck

>on going 90 on empty highway straights
>"this is illegal and unsafe, don't do it"
>do it carefully when there are no cops around got it

Tell you what: nobody gave a single fuck about the drivers ed classes. We had literal food fights during one of them. The only thing I remember is that a train takes on average a half mile to stop from speed.

It's all about the driving experience itself. Kids don't need a class to know that a red octagon that says "STOP" means stop. It's a waste of time and money.

>Driving tests are hilarously easy.

That's because you are a good driver despite driving tests being unrealistically easy versions of driver decision making.

There are genuinely bad drivers out there that would fail the easy driving test if it required the driver to not give a door ding to the car in the next space. Or when doing the parallel park test.they kept on bumping the other cars. Some drivers believe it is okay to bump other cars. I know for sure because I rode several times with someone who constantly did that when parallel parking. He would look to make sure no one was watching of course so he sort of knew it was wrong to do. But he didn't care as long as he didn't have to pay for any damages.

>Why should teenagers be allowed to drive?

Why not make hit and run driving legal then?

> Also make road tests an hour or two and much more stricter and require a drivers education program with like 30 hours of instruction and 30 hours of in car time.
Lisence retests every 5 years or so.
This is dumber than most gun control proposals I see.
You enact this shit and I'm not waiting for the NRA to tell me to start shooting. Fuck doing any of that.

>Should the legal driving age be raised in the USA? Why should teenagers be allowed to drive? I hate seeing these kids on the road driving stupid.

All driving tests should also include a drug test. That would reduce the number of problem drivers right there.

This, so much. Teenagers here can't find a job mostly because your bike just gets you that far.

How about making driving tests not a joke and create a culture of safe driving? Me and most of my friends have been driving since we were 14 and have never been in an accident

>tfw it is gonna be 21 in Dubai from next year

no, it's because his instructor was soft on him, or standards were lowered by the time he took his test (he's probably 18)

They're always lowering standards. My brother got away with not knowing how to parallel park, but I was subject to requirements to do it and do it well.

Test of active substances instead of metabolites and sure

Test for metabolites and you're enforcing draconian culture-biased drug laws mostly meant to tell hippies to get jobs and tell niggers to get fucked, not creating a safer environment

>lol dude i got totally smashed last night jack and coke ftw yolo
>Hmmm, alright, 0% BAC, you're good to go
>Hello sir I'm here to take my driving test
>HOLD UP DEGNERATE THIS HERE PAPER SAYS YOU SMOKED WEED LAST WEEK GO TO CHURCH YOU FUCKING PINKO WE NEED TO STOP COMMUNISM IN VIETNAM FYI COME BACK WHEN YOU'RE ACTUALLY A FUCKING AMERICAN HIPPIE FAGGOT

It isn't a matter of intelligence though. It's a matter of maturity. As a society we have made a point of giving kids an extended adolescence both because we can and it pleases us old farts to see the kids generally happy and still idealistic. The problem is that the kids aren't maturing mentally as quickly but we're not adjusting things like driving age to suit the conditions we've created.

German model:
>start training at 16 1/2
20h + test for Theory
30h + test for Actual driving
>If pass, get temporary license at 17
>temporary license allows you to only drive around with your parents on the passenger seat
>get real license with 18

8 miles a second though user...

8*60*60... that's almost 29,000 mph there buddy. Do you drive an AE86?

Except women and men get into about the same amount of total accidents per gender-hour driven

It's not southerners, it's niggers. There's just a lot more of them down here

Yes. Raise it so she will have to hitch rides in the back of my utility van.

>>start training at 16 1/2
Thats a pretty good idea. It's annoying in the UK being able to have a license at 16, but training and tests usually take 5 months to finish.
Temporary license is stupid though. It's not like your parents can do anything if your going to crash.

I think it's just too easy to get a license. I know people that failed the test five times before getting it. There should at least be a six month waiting period after failing your test, and it have some sort of impact on ypur record.

Dude please stop. I am trying to reaffirm my hatred towards women

One should atleast be needed to take the test(s) with a manual transmission. This would test the person's ability to multitask. Not only that, it gives you more control of the car and you'll understand how it works.

Unfortunately that policy would probably be viewed as raycis.

What fucking country do you live in

Everyone thinks driving is a right not a privilege, which is incorrect.

Fuck the age, make the required training for a license much hare and thorough.

Defensive driving class, high speed and emergency training, and finally road etiquette. Put all that into a difficult test that not everyone can pass. Because I remember in high school many stories of people that couldnt even pass the easy as shit driving test now. After they retook it 5 more times the instructor just gave up and gave them their license anyway.

Tl;Dr. Extensive training and a hard driving test is the answer, not a certain age.

This is true. Granddad is 93, cant walk, shits himself, pisses himself and insists he still needs his car.

In these cases family should report him to the DMV. Only then will they strip him of his license.

hahahaha what the fuck

this.

I had this guy as the first instructor and this as the second.

There's no consistency.

>live in urope
>high standarts for driving license
>everyone drives like shit
>I learned nothing in driving school and paid 2000 euros

No fuck this shit. Also they teach some stupid shit in some driving schools.

Just better education and more comprehensive testing for vehicle handling. I took my Texas drivers test and it was a joke, just drive a few blocks on a sunny day and parallel park. They should test for ability to handle bad weather and low grip conditions, evasive maneuvers, and other worst case scenarios. That would improve the quality of drivers.

We don't need more laws. What we need to do is stop trying to fix cultural issues using legislative means. We have to eliminate laws that increase accident rates and encourage dickishness like speed limits, and encourage general awareness of automotive courtesy and safety. Roads should be designed with many more passing zones and turning lanes, and car culture should be encouraged as people are more careful with things they care about.

Would T-Bone.

Untrue. Women get into more accidents per mile driven than men. Men just drive more.

Legal age of using the internet in USA should be raised to 150.
Give us all peace.

>6 years
I think over age 55, it should be every 2-3 years.

And I agree. Whether they get their licenses at 16 or 18, they will probably act like dumb kids for the first few months and try to experiment. Only way to prevent "kids being kids" would be to wait until they are 23 before they can drive with no restrictions. And those with shitty spatial awareness and no attention span will be terrible drivers their whole lives. Driving is like half experience and half natural skill. And the majority of that experience should come within the first year of driving anyway.

I'm 26, what the fuck do I care?

I've been driving since 14 and I've never been in an accident.

It helps that I conditioned myself to understand that while automobiles can be fun, they're also dangerous and should be treated carefully. Much like how guns and bows are fun for recreation, not following any of the safety rules can result in you or someone else being injured or dying.

Not all teenagers are mature enough to understand that, it's up to their parents, their school, driving instructors, etc to drill that into people's heads. If a person is conditioned to be a shit driver they will always be a shit driver.

Drinking age should be 18. There's an argument that can be made that the driving age should be 18, too.

Basically, if someone can sign away 6 years of their life to the military, vote in an election, buy a house, and get married at 18, what is so special about 21?

You don't understand yankee, if you eliminate niggers you pretty much bring the entire country up to par with the rest of the world. America has a black problem, that's it.

>Veeky Forums makes america great again

the kind of brain damage that would cause them to actually do all that shit, maybe

>High speed training

Can you imagine all the black people bitching about the cost "cos racist"? You'd have 14 year olds going into track-fitted cars and strapping in with a HANS device and everything for liability just to learn how to control a highway skid.

Just harder more indepth tests
I'll be honest, I was a huge shit when I was 16 and didn't read the rule book and just went in and took the test. Got through, then aced the driving portion. I mean the test is really just a handful of easy questions that you could get just from being a passenger and developing a feeling of whats legal and not. And in califonia they don't even need you to parallel park during the driving test.
It was a fucking joke

let the state make a separate manual license and you get retarded tests with points like

>downshift sequentially all the way to 1 to stop
>no shifting during turns or on railroad tracks
>you must hold in the clutch at a stoplight for safety reasons
>hill start, no rolling back, none, at all, light that clutch on fire baby

We should have let the nigger/cousinfucker containment zone secede peacefully. President Lincoln singlehandedly did more damage to this country than everyone else in all of American history combined.

The problem is how we teach driving.

Here in Nevada we take all the worst drivers. California? Yup. Utah? Yup. Just stroll into the DMV and you'll get a license as long as you know how to start a car it seems.

>mfw people still fail driving tests and permit exams

I'm pretty sure he meant banning the use of vehicles with automatic transmissions for all driving tests. Having a separate license for manual transmissions is fucking asinine.

Yes because the north doesn't have detroit, california, DC, or idaho and montana

if manual is part of the test at all they can and will do that

What we should have done is send them back to Africa.

>because you can't fucking drive
No, it's because driving tests are easy to pass even with a lot of serious demerits. The passing score is pretty low in my state due to discrimination lawsuits.

drinkingage.procon.org/

All the pro 21 arguments basically come down to:
-Possible brain damage from binge drinking (proper alcohol education)
-Less "alcohol related traffic deaths" since the 80's (major confounding variables, like car safety improvements since the 80's)

In turn, you basically infantilize the 18-20 year old demographic, telling them that while they can do all the things mentioned in my last post, they're still not really adults.

So as he said, a lot of our population can't drive. Unfortunately there's no real fix for this because we aren't jam-packed into cities everywhere, and people tend to need their own transportation if they don't live in a metro area. The best thing a car guy can do is just be an alert driver.

This.

If you can't control a manual transmission to a satisfactory level you won't get your license.

>Raise the standards to get a license,

That car license requirement triggers all the anti-racism activists. The same thing with passing exams in high school. They always say that standards are racist as they prevent people from being able to get jobs, drive, be qualified bus drivers, teachers, etc. Yes, that's right. We've even had anti-racism activists argue for less enforcement of laws against hispanics and blacks. Of course, keep up the enforcement against whites and asians.

It seems a lot of times that the real racists are those that claim to be anti-racist. Black Lives Matter is so sensitive that they accuse anyone of racism if they mention automobile crime statistics.

>Yes because the north doesn't have DC
You're right, they don't.
>Detroit
>California
>Idaho
>Montana
None of those places had a significant black population until the 1950s.

How would someone like me who developed RA at a young age be able to drive?

>What we should have done is send them back to Africa.
They refused to go even back in the civil war days. Most of the blacks that were shipped from Africa were due to blacks enslaving other blacks. Black enslaving other blacks was a big thing in Africa well before slaves were imported to the USA. Tribal warfare was one way to acquire slaves.

>RA

What?

I'm aware of that. I'm saying we should have shipped them back before we gave them rights.

Probably rheumatoid arthritis. Exceptions would have to be made but the guy does kind of have a point, forcing manual on younger drivers would discourage snapchatting/texting/etc while driving.

Early-onset rheumatoid arthritis

>most of my friends have been driving since we were 14 and have never been in an accident

Hit and run results in a clean record. Which is why lots of people do it. It happens regardless of education level. Even doctors do it. I know since I saw a doctor do it. While backing out of his space, he hit another car and he simply drove off.

I said about the same. Studies put it within 2% on total accidents and make accidents cause much more damage.

The exact same studies that all the other cherry picked info people are posting in this thread. It's true that women get in a lot more minor accidents than men and actually get into just slightly more total accidents. When men get into accidents though it's just more likely to be a serious accident.

Yes I realize that's what's going on. If it helps, the statistics do clearly show that women tend to be less aware while driving. On the other hand, they also show that men tend to be more reckless. Of course these are exactly the things men and women have been complaining about one another forever so not really any surprises there.