Get pic related

>get pic related
>gear it high
>run quality premix oil 40:1
>put a Lectron carb on it
>get some supermoto tires
>drive it daily on my commute to work through mountain back roads

What am I missing in this idea? Seems like it wont be this simple, but there are tons of 2 stroke street bikes so surely the engine will be able to handle it?

Depends where you live. Guarantee you 2 stroke dirt bikes are illegal on the streets where you live. Emission bullshit makes them illegal in most places.

They are, but my state does not have emissions test for motorcycles. So as long as I can get a title (which should be easy) and pass the safety inspection I will be good to go.

Constant rpm is bad on 2smoke
Idling is bad on 2smoke
You will rebuild a lot more
It will smell and make you smell
You cant just slap on super moto tires. They use different wheels from the dirt version.
If it doesnt have a stator, good luck with wiring
Or you could just buy a bike that already works on the street

Enduro bikes do have stators, the KTMs even come with a headlight and brakelight

do it OP although I doubt you will get much more than 200 hours out of a top end.

>illegal in most places.

You mean the United States. Even fucking Australia can have road legal two strokes

We have road legal 2strokes in my state. Zero inspection too.

see
Alot of states do not emissions test bikes, which means as long as you put the proper shit on it you are good.

Dem rebuilds and fuel mileage.

Just get a high strung 4t

I keep forgetting a lot of places do emissions testing. Feels good living in a place where it does not exist and the bike only needs a mirror, lights and a chain guard to be road legal.

>KTM500exc
>needs valves checked every 75ish hours
>needs a top end every 500 hours (and this is being VERY generous) of easy riding
>cost $1500

>KTM300
>needs a top end every 200 hours (being generous but not as much as with the EXC)
>cost $300

Yea the fuel mileage does suck, but luckily my commute is only 20 miles total. I had seriously thought about a 500exc, but the rebuild cost on them is just so fucking high.

A piston and rings costs like $150 and takes an hour to replace. Top end rebuilds on two strokes are one of the easiest things I've ever done.

I'll never go back to four stroke off-road bikes because of how easy it is to fix and maintain a two stroke

I have a ktm 530 xcwr
52,000 miles
Only things its ever needed was re-ringed ever 10,000 miles. Inspect valves while your in there.
No big deal

Have a co-worker that rides a KTM two stroke (I think 300 cc's?) that somehow slipped through Oregon requirements. He does a top end every year, and a total rebuild once every three years. They definitely do not get a fraction of the time between rebuilds that a 4 stroke does.

His chief complaints are high maintenance and ton of down-time because of it, power band sucks for on road, its finicky about gas and oil mix especially with temperature (40:1 is pretty rich, and I wouldn't change the carb either), and the electrical sucks (because the stator is for just a headlight and tail light and he has signals which kill the battery regularly).

Also,
>Inspect the valves
It's a 2 stroke you nimwit.

I know on the west coast it's more rare than a unicorn to get a street legal modern 2 stroke. Most were grandfathered in from the 80's or earlier.

the 500exc is a 4 stroke, that was another one of the reasons I like the idea of a 2 stroke the minimal maintenance. Top-end once a year is nothing, its literally like 2 hours of work.

Lots of guys dual sporting 500 EXCs [not to mention 525/530s] prove you wrong though.

How? 500 hours would be over 10k miles before a piston replacement. That is about normal for what you hear.

I misunderstood. Carry on.

Why do people say 2 strokes can't be held at a constant speed? What about boat motors?

I don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down. Haven driving both 2-strokes and (mostly) 4 strokes on the road, I would take a 4 stroke any day. The maintenance requirements and shitty power band wears down on you quick. I do miss the available power of the 2 stroke, but changing jeting with the season, messing with reed valves all the damn time, constant top end tear downs, and never having a functioning electrical system sucked ass. In terms of "ease of maintenance", my 2004 KLR650 and 1978 XL350 only need oil filters and valve lash checked (not adjusted because both were in spec at 10K miles). My 2000 KX125 need a jet change every season and 1000 foot elevation change, two top end rebuilds (every 3,000 or so), more reed valves than I can remember, premix, and constant wiring "adjustments" just wore me down after a couple of years. But some people like the 2 stokes, as few and far between they are. I'm just trying to let you know, it's more grey than black and white.

The jury is still out on the EXC350, but prospects look good. KTM makes a hell of a bike.

No idea. I ride my 300 on the road at constant rpm all the time and it's fine.

its probably some bullshit myth some guy who blew his bike came up with to justify him being a shit cunt rider.

Just look at all two stroke boating, farming and mowing equipment. They all sit at constant rpm and are fine

You're also taking about a small displacement MX two stroke compared to a tractor enduro four stroke. Apples and oranges

>comparing a high strung 125cc MX bike to a big bore Enduro bike

I don't think you understand much about 2 strokes

whoever made that law can have a lungful of my 2-stroke smoke

Why not a Husqvarna? its the same engine but it looks a million times better.

fug forgot pic

>premixing is a pain in the ass
>sitting on a hard plank for commuting any length of time will suck
>Kickstart only will get old
>it will get stolen
>frequent service intervals and a rebuild every so often
>two stroke powerband will suck
>can't take it on the highway
>can't ride it at the same RPM for too long because lol2stroke

Why not get a street motard instead? Much better as a street bike and the service intervals won't be asuch of a pain in the ass.

>premixing is a pain in the ass
no it isnt
>can't ride it at the same RPM for too long because lol2stroke
stop perpetuating myths

>cant ride at same RPM

well what do two stroke mowers, boat outboards, weed wackers and two stroke drills do then?

Every other point you make is subjective especially since every modern two stroke has electric start as well as a kickstarter.

>have never street riden 2 strokes

I did all the time when I was a kid
Youre a girly man

>kid
>street legal
Okee dokee

Owned an NSR and several MX two strokes as well as the 300EXC in my garage.

I've owned enough to know how they work and what they do and don't like.

Sure thing buddy

Premixing is easy and tons of 2 strokes stay at constant rpm

There's my 300. There's also a stihl whipper snipper in that pic amongst all that shit that operates at the same rpm all the time.

Phone posting never again

Seems like the lack of engine breaking would fry the piston

The part where you bought a KTM and expected it to work.

>believing the memes

KTM is literally the worst quality dirtbike outside of Chinese made shit.

Hello opposite of truth guy

why not get an SXV550? way faster than the ktm plus its a v2 race engine and already has road wheels. post 2008 models have fixed most of their past problems.

Maintenance intervals are insane.

1 liter of oil every 500 miles isnt that insane desu

didnt they only make those for like 2 years?

Oil changes aren't maintenance.

then it isnt different than the 300exc at all

The valves need to be adjusted every 5 hours or so. To replace the piston you have to drop the fucking motor

my 500

are we talking about the same bike here? in the street trim? 5 hour valve adjustment seems retarded

Yes we are. The SXV is literally a race ready bike that is just barely street legal.

How many miles is on it?

i was actually considering an sxv, but these intervals are ridiculous, ill probably get a ktm or some shit.

Don't do it m8. There's no reason to buy a bike that is built for the woods and enduro. When this bike was designed, road riding was put to the back of the designers minds and it is only supposed to and only can just get by on the street. It will not excel on the road. Fuel mileage will be terrible. Probably worse than you think if you want this as a daily commuter. The 2 stroke wont have the low end torque you'll want once you up the gearing on it so the motor is comfortable at highway speeds. When you say pic related, not sure if you mean you want to just buy a 300 exc or if you want one of the fancy six days or factory editions. If you do mean you want one like pic related you will be paying several thousand more dollars for shit a motardfag like you would never need. You'd essentially be paying all that money for an off road aesthetic on your street bike, but if that's what floats your boat, so be it. Can't change someone who's already made up their mind.

for fuck sake, will you oldfags just let the two smokes die already?

it's just sad at this point, and if you tell me you like that faggy braaap i will find you and beat your senile old ass

i know constant rpm is bad for 2 strokes (experienced it myself) but what about 2 stroke lawn machines that run at a constant rpm all fucking day??

Constant low rpms are bad
Constant high rpm is better because it creates enough heat to burn oil

No, that's wrong

Sure thing moron.

Try it and get a facefull of smoke because you can't catch me in your pigfat 4-stroke

>higher RPM
>wear and Tear at at faster degree

>Low RPM
>slower wear and tear

Oil needed (and given) is contingent on the amount of throttle which is also equal to the amount of oil needed at a certain RPM. Fuck I did I poor job explain this.

You have no idea do you?

You need less oil at 3000RPM than you do 9000RPM, the throttle being 1/4 the way open at 3000RPM lubes just as well as being full throttle at 9000RPM.

This only becomes an issue when you are WOT then let off the throttle without pulling the clutch in.

This makes sense, but doesn't seem true.

Nice rhyme

>drive 49cc yamaha moped
>32mph top speed
>constant max rpm everywhere

But it isn't a performance engine like a dirtbike

neither is your mom but i rode her at a constant speed last night

Its pretty much impossible to get them street legal without neutering them completely. They are sport vehicles period.

Might as well get a DTX.

>living in a state that has emissions testing

Kek