I'm thinking of picking one of these up. Any AW11 owners care to chime in on their ownership experiences?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up. Any AW11 owners care to chime in on their ownership experiences?

How's the maintenance? How expensive/hard is it to find parts? Is it relatively easy to live with it on a day to day basis?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtYGz8ii6Z8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All AW11 owners died in snap oversteer accidents. if you see posts from owners, they are internet ghosts.

it's slow as fuck

It's fun as fuck

Ghost here

Excellent cars but the engine placement can be a bit of a headache to work on, not impossible, just not as easy normal vehicles. I personally think they're one of the best looking cars of their time. Snap oversteering is a meme and what oversteer it has isn't some catastrophic event that will kill both you and the car. Get a feel for the car long before you start getting hektik with it and you'll be perfectly fine.

>I'm thinking of picking one of these up.
Oh yeah? "Picking"? Like, you're just going to stroll down to the dealer and say "Hey, gimme that one!". Really? Not considering the fact that most have long rusted and been sent to the wrecker? Are you gonna buy a new GM vehicle that possible has some of the steel previously used on an old junked MR2?

Seriously, what is this shit?

>Hey guys, I'm considering grabbing one of these 54 Desotos. Tell me about your experiences, maintenance? Good daily driver?

Maybe for a benchracer. It's low enough to the ground and corners well enough that it feels quick like a gokart.

I've said it before, but it's some of the most fun you can have driving within, and above, the speed limit

Tell me on the doll where the MR2 touched you

I've got a shitty fiero and if they're anything similar, driving too far above the speed limit can get downright scary with how touchy and light they are. With fuck all for aero and all the weight in the back the car starts trying to take flight when it hits small dips in the road

The Fiero is a lower quality car with worse weight distribution, unfortunately. With properly done up suspension, I can take my MR2 up to 110mph without feeling like I'm going to slip off the road.

The Fiero has decent suspension on paper, but it's prone to understeer, and then oversteer when the driver attempts to correct by lifting off throttle in a corner.

And as far as top speed, the Fiero is known to have front end lift and become very scary above 80mph

I won't argue that the mr2 is higher quality.

My particular fiero has a rear sway bar and an aluminum v6 which balances things out rather well, but it does get downright terrifying above 110.

Probably the biggest benefit of the fiero is that it's a generic GM shitbox so you can salvage all kinds of spare parts from 3rd gen f bodies and whatever fwd pontiac you can think of. All plastic body panels also help against rust too.

either way, cheap midships are hilarious little death traps and you should check one out op :)

>either way, cheap midships are hilarious little death traps and you should check one out op :)

This, they're a lot of fun and you won't regret the purchase assuming you inspected the vehicle you're buying intimately and you know what you're getting into. Namely that there's no trunk space and you can get yourself into trouble on twisty roads if you don't know the car well enough.

Don't push the twisties until you know the car

Not OP but I found one on Craigslist with only 118k miles and no rust. Here wants 4.5k for it, is that a fair price?

Yea, I payed 3k for one with 180k on the clock, thing still runs like a top. Make sure to inspect the car, tho. Price means nothing if it isn't taken care of

Although the Fiero does have lesser quality, it has more lateral grip than an MR2 and can be swapped with almost any engine, including LS engines. The bit about the instability at top speed is just nonsense. The "instability" you might feel is purely because it has no power steering. People like to pretend that the MR2 is in another league or something, but they really are quite competitive cars.

Just going to interject here. I depowered my steering rack on my RX7 and it is now a high ratio manual rack. It feels more stable at speeds than it did before. I can also feel when it's going to stop being stable much better than when there was bullshit fluid inside there.

I will give you the bit about engine swapping, but my MR2 doesn't have power steering and the only tough part is low speed maneuvers, no impact at top speed

Hey OP, I daily this sick piece of work and I bought it for $500 when it was a scrap bucket. Let me give you some advice.

>every bolt will always be stuck
So buy a shit ton of PB blaster and have a damn good breaker bar. Maybe an impact wrench
>parts are pretty easy to find desu.
Course I had a full parts car for a year so...
>daily driving ability is pretty good if it's your only car
Just make sure you have a friend with a truck or SUV just in case you ever need to move something larger than the trunk.

I have 0 issues with using it every single day. Plenty of room for groceries, or backpacks, or even medium sized suitcases. Makes me giggle everytime I drive it.

Picture didn't post for whatever reason

So
MR2 vs RX-7 FC

which is better Veeky Forums?

As a person who has owned both.
The FC is 10x better

I mean I own an AW11 NA and I can tell you I would much rather have an FC. But they're much more expensive all the way around. Now give me an AW11 SC AND and FC and it might be and little closer.

>rotary
>ever
The choice is obvious.

The old style SC in the AW wasn't all that great, sure it had some low end torque but it died up top very quickly. If anything a 20v blacktop swap in an first gen MR2 would be great.

The last iteration of the Fiero got it right and was very solid. But by then the car already had its awful stigma of being a lemon production from its initial factory launch so the damage to its name was irreparable.

LEMANS NOT FOR TOYOTA

does the car itself feels light ? in the steering i mean ?
because i had a twingo that felt really light and that was really fun
now i have another shit box that weight around 1 tons and it feeel so heavy

It depends on what size of wheels/tires you have but generally if you stay under the 15" mark driving at speed with no power steering feels really light.

It has no engine upfront so steering is not that hard. It's not even that bad standing still, once you get going its normal but provides alot of feedback because its a manual rack. Engine is pretty fun. I've driven newer 1.6 16v but the 4age seems to have more torque then them and pulls better but I did just rebuild mine recently so :).

ok thanks i might get one in a year or some but i'm not in the us so that's a bit tricky
i don't like big tires on small cars it less comfortable
and they're more expensive

blacktop is based

ok sounds good

boo

Im from Slovenia and was so lucky to found one but its was in extremely bad condition but it's almost fully restored now.
Pic related, from a few days ago, getting it repainted.

depends
a SW20 will spank a stock FC on a track
AW11 is too different to compare really

thats a pretty awful comparison and its all dependent on what you want from each

nice it's from germany ? or was it sold in your country ?

youtube.com/watch?v=YtYGz8ii6Z8
That godly sound

Imported from Germany :)

oh god was it rusty ?
yeah i will have to do the same but i cost quite a big amount here
smthlike 1500 euros to get it legit and registered since there less than 200 imported

Extremely rusty indeed. In all sorts of places too... It has been alot of work to repair all the rust and paint it etc. It's been 14 months since I've owned the car and I can finnaly see the finish line with the restoration. But I'll still need to redo the 30 year old suspension bushings one day :/. But I god damn love this car.

In this picture you can see the mising pannels which we're cut out due to rust.
Overall conclusion if you get one get ready to spend alot of money and time. Getting parts since you are in the EU somewhere isn't gonna be as easy as just walking in you autoparts shop and getting them. Some stuff I had to order from the USA or Japan and the shipping + taxes can be worth more then the parts at some point. But i've learned to find parts I need, depends on the condition of the car the major problem will probably be the rust.

don't tell me you repaired that ?
or did you just swap it with a non rusted to shit piece ?
that a great work any way you should post the result when it's done

>tfw no buddy club front lip

yeah i will keep that in mind when i go looking for one

Ok to be more specific, both base models
the reason I ask is because theyre priced similarly and around the same age

>priced similarly
um

is an XT safer then an MR2?

>that panda in the back

goddamnit

thats too cute im jelly as fuck right now

>above, the speed limit
>can't even pass a jeep going 70

fucking faggot

Bitch

blow me cunts

>ignoring the guy who owned both
Fuck you then

Come on then cunts what's a good weight distribution. I wanna see if you actually know your shit.

jk didnt mean it

Aw11's Also have chronic crosswind issues, feels like you're driving a van. They're not very aerodynamic.

FC is way out of the mr2's league, if you have the cash for an fc go for it.

just try and find a spindle nut im gonna end up tack welding the one i got

>complains about .35 drag coefficient
and yet here you are saying FC is out of the MR2's league
does the FC handle like a van at speed too? or does the .02 drag coefficient difference make it any better?

FCs S4 are .31 and .29 for sport package.
Also heavier and longer wheel base.

Aw11 owner here.
Definitely one of the most fun cars for the money.
I resurrected mine after it had sat for 15 years in somebody's yard. Cost about 1500 to pick it up and about 1000 in parts to get it running again.
Snap oversteer is a meme
They aren't particularly easy to work on but it was better than I expected. It's nice that the engine and trans are easily accessible from the bottom, but if you have to deal with the gas tank I have to apologize.
The handling is actually incredible. It grips forever even on shitty all-seasons
It is slow as fuck though
At speed it is pretty terrifying but the manual steering feels amazing in long sweepers

Can somebody tell me where to find one of these?

The internet

I managed to find a kit online

>every turd gen and cucked c4 are overpriced as fuck
>mr2 and fieros are priced reasonably despite being rarer, more unique and having qualities
catastrophic damage on the vertebras

its probably for the rear i need front its a diff nut

its pretty much brand recognition and the fact the corvette has a v8, no matter how slow it actually is
also boomers

Look between this and the AW11s posted in this thread and figure it out.

You'll understand why the FC is a better choice, plus, if you give it 300 hp, it will definitely kick any Supra's ass. You think a fucking MR-2 could do that? Fat chance, since it only has a 4-cylinder engine.

Wouldn't mind hearing more about that mr2 you brought back to life if you have the time.

I can't say about the FC my only experience with them is circuit racing against them in my SC aw11.

Everyone I know personally who has owned /driven an aw11 has commented on the odd crosswind likened to a van or motorcycle.

Google Buddy Club Replica

>it will definitely kick any Supra's ass
All street tuned 500hp MKIV Supras would like a word with you.

FC is pigfat
shit rotary
enjoy replacing it every 100k~ miles

Hello instigator. Nice opposite of truth there.

>if you give it 300hp
if we are going to bench race I might as well say just k swap for 500 reliable horsepower on a mid engined platform
at the end of the day the rx7 is a dorito meme box and outside of the engine is unremarkable

The FC is simply in a different league, not like they were ever supposed to compete. The FC is more expensive though, and more expensive to maintain. The FC is just the better car and platform but the AW11 will give it a run for its money by fun per dollar.

>outside of the engine is unremarkable
You dont know much about FCs then.

>comparing a 1.6 runabout to an FC
That's like comparing an 86 to a WRX, they're in different power and weight brackets.

doesn't sound like you have much to say about the FC either

>the only good thing about the rx7 is the engine
Yeah let's ignore the God tier chassis on all three generations that dominated every motorsports they entered and pretend that a rusty flimsy ass Toyota only liked by synthetic wave le wrong generation hipsters isn't a total piece of poop in every regard

Enjoy the 4age that can't make dick for power

>thread devolves into shitflinging
I like both cars but you're all acting like fucking spergs.

>actually using god tier as an argument
rotard autists everybody

Sorry, do facts hurt your feelings?
Come back when Toyota can build an actual sports car

Well that's easy. The 86 is a shitty meme mobile and has no power, whereas a Subaru WRX is a rally class godmachine that can actually pass for a performance machine.

Try me

How's the autism going, pal?

Reminder that Toyota makes absolute shit cars.

RIP normally-lubricated cogs

Where the fuck do you think you are? Were you really not expecting autists not to throw tantrums on Veeky Forums?

No way an SW20 will spank an FC around a track stock. The FC is still one of the most popular cars for road racing, n/a or turbo, modified or stock. I'm not saying a stock FC is way better than a stock SW20, it would ultimately come down to the track and driver

>mr2
>ae86
>supra
>civic
>miata
if you own any of these cars kys cucks

hey another trip to filter
come back when you arent craving attention on a cambodian puppet show forum

Ive owned all those except a supra
Whats the issue?

shitty meme cars
also rotary is fucking trash kill yourself

You made a claim. Im here to back myself up and not be confused with other anons. But i understand you are btfo and wanna hide from me.

What do you drive friend?
Ive had some major fun in meme cars. Do you hate fun?

Just an uneducated sperglord spouting anti-memes in an attempt to sound superior to people who like things.