CVT

Why the hate on CVT transmissions?

I'm yet to drive one, but as I understand it, it's theoretically the best system. For performance, it allows the engine to run at the rpm for max power continuously, and for economy it can set the most efficient rpm for cruising at any speed. It's like having a gearbox with infinite gears that takes no time at all to switch between them.

I gather there are limitations to just how much power/torque can be transmitted through the belts. I also completely understand that the sound of a cars engine revving up through the gears is a big part of driving, which we have come to expect. It also looks like they can be a bit slow to get going; can this be fixed with future generations?

I really don't like how manufacturers have started putting pseudo-gears into their CVTs. That just defeats the point.

They can't drive through mountains everyday.

Leave engineering explained, and get some hair dye.

CVT's aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Nissan's cvt combines a conventional cvt with a 3 speed which makes for a really wide gear ratio. Makes my little sentra pretty peppy around inner city street speeds.

Main issues are reliability, longevity, and god awful transmission lag in normal mode, worse in eco.

Try driving it through the mountains every day. My coworker gets stuck in limp mode all the time.

The key word from your post was theoretically.

>implying the touch of gray bowl cut isn't cute

Theyre boring, slow, inefficient, heavy and expensive.

Fuck outta here

>posts snowmobile transmission
>on a snowmobile you carry a spare belt like you carry a spare tire on a car
I rest my case

Haha I didn't realise it was a snowmobile transmission, oops

OK, so if the technology improves would you want one?

But shouldn't they be boring, fast and efficient? Prices will come down with time.

Obviously they're not there yet, but why do people seem against them improving and becoming mainstream? Is it just the reduced driving enjoyment? I drive a manual, but figure if a car is going to shift for me then I don't really care how it sounds, I'm already not involved in the gear changing process.

And why can't they do mountains?

I had a 2013 nissan altima and it was awesome through the mountain. That was actually the reason i liked it. I drive through the mountains of wv every week and the cvt was excellent. It never gets stuck in between gears like every normal auto I've driven.

>bought a cvt sentra
>visits a car enthusiast board

Get the fuck out of here

Don't defend it until you drive one. You'll see they are gutless, slow and boooooring.

Belt CVTs always have been and always will be shit-tier in terms of reliability. That's why we don't like them.

I might be getting one as a rental next week when I do a small road trip in the USA. Will be the first auto car I've ever driven.

>so if the technology improves would you want one?

Of course. If they really built a rugged, performance, we'll tested CVT designed to put down power and not for feels, then yes. The concept is excellent.

drove a 2015 altima last year for work. it was fucking HORRIBLE. you let the gas go and its still accelerating. it was fucking weird. and when you expect it to shift, and you lift the foot off the pedal, it doesnt shift.. it just keeps going. its fucking weird man.

I only ever hear about cvts failing within 50k miles or needing expensive maintenance. It's good on paper but reliability triumphs all in a dd (only thing a CVT is in)

The ones they stick in cars now are absolute dogshit for many reasons, but the ones they stick in atv's and shit aren't bad imo. Still like gears better, but the CVT in my Grizzly doesn't fuck around.

>he drives a cvt sentra

They feel weird to drive and have a long history of reliability issues

>OK, so if the technology improves would you want one?

i reluctantly would. It would need to be perfect though. As in
>similar drive train loss to normal autos
>no fake shift points
>robust as a manual or close to it
>make it able to handle extra hooning power added to it
>actually make the damn thing service able and not require a new cvt every time something breaks.

right now it's still very much in the beta test phase and people are paying money to be beta testers.

>And why can't they do mountains?
most cvts are poorly cooled and tend to over heat on prolonged inclines and declines. Hell they even over heat on hot days driving on flat roads. Engine braking on them really puts added stress and friction on the belt. Some cvts even have difficulty going up hill in reverse. so make sure you always park level or park with the front going up hill.

Lol is that a torque converter? I seen those on go-karts and mini bikes. They put those in cars?

it is a lot different, but you get used to it. i've had two altimas and i can't stand standard automatics now

>besides all the reasons everyone hates CVTs, why do you hate CVTs?