Why are all new cars shaped so strangely...

Why are all new cars shaped so strangely? Instead of just having flat sides cars get wider near the wheels and theyre all designed to look angry and they all look like theyre made of cheap plastic. Like why would you have this...

Other urls found in this thread:

caranddriver.com/features/taking-the-hit-how-pedestrian-protection-regs-make-cars-fatter-feature
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

....over this?

We need to go back.

Aerodynamics and crash/pedestrian safety requirements.

There's a good infographic explaining how pedestrian impact laws have led to fat cars with slitty windows and huge wheels, maybe another user has it.

80s cars are just as ugly as new ones though, OP is right 90s/early 2000s is how cars should look, smooth and natural curves but no shitty designs trying to make cars look "cool"

Style is subjective?

>80s cars are ugly
Get out, angular scifi styling is best

conditioning everyone for the car soap bar future

Get outta here, you fucking queer

Fuck off you doublenigger.

Well you sorta want the sides further away from you for when someone t-bones you. Every little bit helps and having crushed ribs and sternum sucks ass

all new cars look like fucking hand soap bars

>Like why would you have this...

The larger AND more horizontal pillar designs of new cars are the result of crash safety tests showing that these designs better resist crushing of the passenger cabin. By having pillars be more horizontal instead of vertical, this results in less visibility and more slit-like windows.

To support those more-horizontal pillar designs, the front and back decks also became raised. That also forced the fronts of cars to become taller to avoid having a severe downslope on the hood from the passenger cabin area. Some cars managed to have good looks while having a lot of slope, but those are few. Most cars simply ended up with a taller nose than in earlier models.

>saftey

I've been looking at quite a lot of infographics now and I haven't found anything yet. Can you be a bit more specific, user?

New shit-tier cars always look like a pussified version of what teenagers thought looked cool ten years ago. Like that Avalon in the OP looks like if you used a giant hair dryer to melt a fnf tier gtr with a wide body kit until all the decals slid off

New cars look like eggs
90s shitboxes and 70s muscle will always look the best

>90s
>Smooth and natural curves
>Muh e36

I like my car boxy :(

I remember this. Where was it taken from?

caranddriver.com/features/taking-the-hit-how-pedestrian-protection-regs-make-cars-fatter-feature

When will the time come when we return to glorious landyachts? Square bodies, good visibility all around, maximum comfyness etc.

Toyota is shit. Instead using more expensive high strength steel to help their pathetic and dangerous crash ratings, they just push the sheetmetal out further. It's a knee jerk reaction to how fatally flimsy and weak Toyota car bodies are.

I used to hate how the e36 look, now it slowly grows on me since all the new cars look like overbloated piles of plastic crap.

same here

>watching IIHS crash tests
>old 4runners are safer than new Rav4s

????

Wind tunnel design paired with big pillar posts and small front ends for safety reasons.

But why?
These guys have been designing cars for years. I'm sure they know what an aerodynamic shape is.

All that time, money and effort to save 2 mpg highway on a car with an FTP of under $35k could be use for something else

Well those full size v6 sedan are starting to get powerful and fast at least if Nissan didn't fall to the CVT meme

it used to be that cars were shaped entirely around the drive train
or parts of the drive train were moved to give a more aerodynamic shape
and different approaches among makers gave their cars a distinct look and size

now we have soap bars aimed at mpg while also complying with safety standards
trouble with streamlining and heavy safety regulation is that it removes any chance of a distinctive shape or recognisable brand

so in an attempt to make their car distinct or at lest distinguishable the only wiggle room they have is to add little folds and creases
but nothing so big as to cause significant drag
peak door thinness was the 1980s
we have only just begun to reach 1960s type 6' door thickness again

>80s cars are just as ugly as new ones though
Kill yourself

>early 2000s
Early 00s was fucking shit, everything was a jellybean. You honestly then early model Ford Taurus' are good looking?

it has that nice box made of curves look
even this is not as boxy as it could be

the 96 and 89 look al rite
not fully bland but its features aren't fully offensive