Panther platform thread

Post your grandpamobiles, plus-size shitboxes and wannabe cop cars.

I bought this 2001 Grand Marquis yesterday, my first entry into the world of barges. Single exhaust and 2.73 open rear end (no handling/performance pack) so it's slower than the minivan parked behind it, 140k miles, previous owner was an older guy who had it serviced every 3k miles and kept the full receipts and records for EVERYTHING. Needs a new battery (works, just corroded and old) and some various doodads and tidbits here and there, but it runs and drives great- bit of surface rust on the frame and a little bit on the body around the rear wheels, but I can't ask for much more what with Jew York's salt obsession. Two finger steering is cool.

Tell me how much of a mistake I made.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Insten-Cassette-Adapter-Compatible-Player/dp/B00QHNCQR4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't think you made a mistake if you are looking for reliability. These are fabled as being bulletproof and easy to fix. So much so I heard a lot of taxi services and police precincts decided to forego their own policies and haven't replaced them well past when they were supposed to. I personally wouldn't mind owning this panther myself.

Reliability was my main concern, that and room of which it has tons of inside and seats that you sink into like a couch. I'm a manlet so thankfully the power seats adjust high enough to sit properly, and the visibility is fantastic with the beltline being way lower than I expected.

Only thing I'm worried about is the intake manifold (it's the pre-03[?] plastic one everyone says to replace right off so it doesn't crack), but that shouldn't be too bad to do, just annoying to disconnect all the accessories and wires and shit.

The odometer is wrong because the first dash burned out and the one that was swapped in had 40k miles, but it's so

A E S T H E T I C

I don't even care.

When I was growing up my parents had an 84 Lincoln Towncar, so I'll always be fond of the panther. I always remember riding in friends' parents cars and wondering why the car was so jumpy not realizing it was the Towncar riding so smooth. In the age of sport tuned everything, I wish we had sedans like this out there still that was more about riding on air.

As for space, I bet that thing can rival some crossovers today. That trunk space is sublime. I remember helping an elderly lady load a LCD tv years ago where I worked, on our way out I was thinking "man I wonder what Toyota or Honda I'm going to have to try and cram this into." when I saw her crown vic I was grinning ear to ear. it fit the tv in the box with room to spare. I hope your panther sticks around for a long long time with no headaches.

>As for space, I bet that thing can rival some crossovers today. That trunk space is sublime.
It feels like it has just as much space as the Sienna behind it, honestly, and you don't even need to get rid of the rear seats to do so! I knew the trunk was huge (and it had to be huge to carry my father's wheelchair/oxygen tanks/medical bags/etc when he's with me) but holy shit, it came with two snow tires (on two more OEM wheels!) in the trunk, I threw the chair in on top of them and was still able to fit groceries on the sides and close the trunk.

He complained about the lack of a CD player, which suited me just fine because I've got a stack of cassette tapes I got at a yard sale a while back that I've been dying to use in something and an aux adapter for a phone if need be.

The previous owner thoughtfully even left one in the deck.

It has the Ford MOD 4.6L I believe, so you'll have access to everything you need through the SN95 Mustang aftermarket.

My 2001 Mustang had a tape deck that I used one of these to hook up my iPod once mp3 players became a thing. FM tuners are ok, but if you have a tape deck I would strongly recommend one of these if you want to use an mp3 player.

amazon.com/Insten-Cassette-Adapter-Compatible-Player/dp/B00QHNCQR4

All Panthers have got the 2-valve 4.6 Modular except for Marauders which got the 4-valve, iirc. Only difference was the intake manifold upgrade in the early 2000's and the switch to drive by wire in 2005.

They changed the cylinder heads when they changed intake manifolds too.

Also, postan my heap

Car sounds really bad...

If the car was regularly maintained then the intake was probably fixed already by the dealership, that's what happened with mine.

I'm 25 years old and I really want a Town Car but that means I have to keep living at home for at least another year. What do lads?

this is my pappymobile
'96 Impala that I bought from my dad who bought it new. Has just under 200k
I honestly love it even though it's not super quick or nimble.
Stock for now with cat back exhaust and cai

I'm graduating Uni soon, and will be going into the business world (Marketing Research/Analytics), so I'm thinking of selling my old cavalier and swapping for a nice Lincoln Towncar.

>classy as fuck
>comfy as fuck
>reliable as fuck
>dat V8, dat RWD

Thoughts, Veeky Forums?

10/10

do it, why not.

Only downside is you'll look like a Livery cab.

But for that kind of ride, who the fuck cares?

90's B-Bodies like the SS and the Caprice really were sexy. I'd even go so far as say they might even be better looking than the Panther platform.

Before I bought my Panther I did look for a Caprice first

Grand Marquis LS. Has automatic electric everything. The Aesthetic Digi-dash, the automatic electronic climate control, its even got both a tape deck AND CD player. Only thing that sort of bugs me is that its got one of those hidden antennas, so my AM reception is kind of shit.

Previous owner was a complete slob and didnt really take good care of the car, there were a few things needed taking care of, and i still need to replace the overhead console that doesnt work. But overall, not bad. Body despite having a few imperfections and scratches here and there on the bumpers, is in pretty good condition. No major blemishes.

I cleaned the interior best I could, Leather seats are in pretty good condition, aside from some wear on the driver seat. Still need to have the carpet cleaned, but for now its alright.

Even came with the rubber floor mats along with the cloth ones.

Only thing is the front wheels have been converted to spring suspension, and the rear suspension is leaking. Not too badly, but enough that after a weekend parked it sags. Ive been considering having the front converted back to air whenever I get around to replacing the rear. Would that be wise?

People typically put springs in when the bags went because they were cheaper. If you want comfort and can spend more go for the air ride

The air suspension was for the rear only.

2003 grand marquis. 111,000 on it. In super shape. It was only four grand. Can't bet that.

^^^^^can't beat that. Sorry my autism flaired up.

thats a pretty clean silver. Nice.

I still kind of feel like I overpaid for mine.
Paid 2200, taking off a few hundred from his asking price which was like 2500, because of a brake shimmy that was supposedly just a rear caliper thing, turned out all the brakes needed replacing because they were worn as fuck, spent about 1600 on that. Thankfully still within what was the leftovers of my overall car budget, but If i'd known better I mightve knocked it down to 1500.

Still, for my first car, couldve been worse.

Changed the intake out in my 1998. Only took a couple hours give or take. Went in to sort of blind but it was fairly easy. There are probably 9.7 million videos on YouTube about how to do it. Keep everything clean and just keep yourself organized and it's not too bad.

How bad are park avenues? would it be worth it to look for an ultra over the base model?