What do people mean when they say "don't ride the clutch" or "you'll burn out the clutch" ?

What do people mean when they say "don't ride the clutch" or "you'll burn out the clutch" ?

I don't know about cars but in motorcycles it's very common to feather the clutch while in 1st gear to get around in low speed environments.

So how the fuck do you destroy a clutch in a car? What does that even mean?

I thought riding the clutch meant keeping some pressure on the pedal at all times, causing it to slip unneccessarily.
People tend to do it in cars without a footrest.
I might be wrong.

they are talking about giving the car gas while the clutch is depressed, I did this once when trying to get my car on ramps slowly, when I was trying to climb the ramp I had the clutch in while giving it gas and it gave off a burning rubber smell and smoked a tad

How do I reverse uphill without burning clutch or stalling?

You don't. Reverse uphill is a nightmare, and your clutch is gonna pay the price.

He look like he is slowly tranforming into a frog

You have to ride the clutch in some cases, such as low speed stop and go traffic, reversing, hill starts, etc. I have no idea what people do to burn them out though.

Newfags with manual, can Veeky Forums confirm this? Sometimes I stall because I guess I'm not riding clutch on takeoff

I'm actually a new manual owner too, that's just what I've noticed after driving it for a month. In my truck, if I don't slightly ride the clutch when starting in 1st (up until about 5 mph) it'll significantly drop revs when I let it out.

Of course you have to ride the clutch in those scenarios. That is why it doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah it's fine to ride it a little at low speed. People burn clutches when they're revving it high without have the clutch engaged all the way. If you're excessively wearing the clutch by riding it too long you'll smell it.

Clutches wear whenever they're not fully engaged or disengaged. Especially plate clutches like in cars.

You use the clutch properly, like your driving instructor taught you.

Jesus christ. What the hell yall drivin?

> Traffic
Don't 'have' to. Burn and coast, or crawl at their average speed.
> Reversing
Nope. Don't 'have' to there, either. You can reverse with the clutch out. Alternatively, just reverse with the clutch fully depressed and coast.
> Hill starts
You don't ride it once you're started. It's literally just a regular start, but with more gas.

I swear to fuck, you americans are the death of clutches.
Here in britain, a clutch determines the life of a car. It's expected to last the 20 year lifecycle of the car, and if it dies after the first 10, the car is scrapped because it's not worth replacing.

most bikes have wet clutches so letting it slip isnt a problem but in most cars its dry with no oil so when you slip the clutch it creates friction and wears it out quicker.

To be fair we put a shitload of miles on our cars. I read British car mags and most of the cars I see in the classifieds are well under 100k, which is about how long the average performance car clutch lasts in the US.

>Here in britain, a clutch determines the life of a car. It's expected to last the 20 year lifecycle of the car, and if it dies after the first 10, the car is scrapped because it's not worth replacing.
Don't take the piss nigel

I bet the amount of driving hours is similar, American traffic is less stop and go.

Naw. Im with the yuropoor on this. Apparently driving a man-well is kryptonite for americans. And my 20yo F-body has 170k on it. Clutch is fine.

Reversing with the clutch out basically means I do a skid and go 15 mph backwards unless I slowly transition. Both of which are unacceptable in a crowded parking lot.

Also Americans put a shitload more driving than Brits do.

In most small cars, you need to let the clutch slip a little. It won't wear a ton unless you seriously smell burning.

Also from my experience most car's first gear is designed to allow 5mph without needing to ride the clutch. At least, that's how my 2013 Elantra GT and both S13's are...

Reverse gears should be short enough that you don't need to ride the clutch too much...I've had to before, and I don't smell the clutch.

dah

protip

clutch wear at 5 mph is a lot different than clutch wear at 50 mph

You're not wrong.

>I have no idea what people do to burn them out though.
The only way to burn them out is by revving heavily

when do I give gas? when the clutch bites? I'm learning and smell clutch when I get out of car, so I'm over revving. do I only give gas when my foots completely off the clutch pedal?

Starting
>Depress clutch
>Foot off brake
>Clutch to biting point
>In the same motion, release the clutch and give gas
>clutch out

Upshifting while moving:
>Clutch in
>Select next gear
>Clutch out
Do it before the revs fall all the way to idle

Downshifting:
>Depress Clutch
>Rev up
>select next lower gear
>let out clutch before revs fall

Now you can drive stick. Just practice, and if you have to replace the clutch in your car eventually it's not really a big deal. You can do it yourself for around $250.

This guy.

Thread full of dindus talking shit, but that's the big reason there: cars and trucks use a dry friction plate where majority of bikes use a splash lubricated wet friction plate(s).

Europe is smaller than america. My daily commute is 7 miles each way. 20 minutes in the morning because it's 5:30AM and nobody's fucking about, 40+ in the afternoon because traffic.

Evidently, you have no idea of restraint while reversing.

>most car's first gear is designed to allow 5mph without needing to ride the clutch
If they have enough torque. Small cars do not.
My Focus will just about trickle along in 1st, but will need occasional prods of throttle to keep it from stalling if it's heavy with fuel.

You're genuinely trying to do better, so you can have some help.

> Plenty of torque
When the car's moving.

> Small car, not much torque
When you feel the clutch start to bite, add a little gas. Add more as you bring the clutch up, so the clutch is fully up once you're moving along properly.

>smell clutch when I get out of car
For the love of fuck, learn faster. Your poor car.

My truck has about 300lbft of torque. Its possible for me to start it with no gas at all if needed. That being said i dont like the method of adding gas once the clutch bites.

I find it to be quicker and smoother if I rev to about 1500, then smoothly release the clutch. Once it bites I ride it about 1/3 second and Im on my way.

As far as burning the clutch up I have an example. I let my gf drive my truck a few weeks ago. She can drive a stick but is not the greatest. We were leaving my place of work which requires a hill start on a very steep grade. She revved to 3000 rpm and then rode the clutch halfway up the hill til about 12 mph. The whole time she was on the clutch it was a steady 3k rpm.

The rest of that ride was terrifying. She hasnt drove my truck since.

I never understand this shit with u guys

When I first was taught to drive stick first thing my teacher did was show me where the bite point of the clutch was. Once I learned that I was taught to hold the clutch there while I apply gas and to release once th car stars moving forward