Have $3k

>have $3k
>need car
>parents will help me out if I find a good used car under $8k
>other option is buying new

what have any of you done in this situation? I don't have a regular, steady paycheck (bartender) so I don't know if I should saddle myself with the debt or just buy a

Other urls found in this thread:

delaware.craigslist.org/search/cta
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773651118.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5763138047.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773398140.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773117976.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5761194583.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5770397686.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5763374274.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5772424933.html
lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/5772113659.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5758029651.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773946746.html
delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5772696198.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dude read the sticky?

how can you not find a good used car under 10, but you can find 1 under 5. Why would you need to finance anything when you said your parents will help you out up to 8? R u retard OP? it is okay if you are, just tell us first.

Buy a well running econobox with scratched up paint for 2.5k and spend 200-300 bucks on basic car maintenence hand tools and a haynes manual. Do baseline maintenance on your days off. Have a decent daily driver that you don't have to worry about parking next to the buggy return. Problem solved.

because there are none within 100 miles of me. Everything is either overpriced or 7k for something with 150k miles already.

okay, and that would be like a Honda Civic or Toyota or something? even some of those are going for $5-10k even with 100k+ mileage.

not op but should i buy a 2009 dodge charger for 3k with 80k miles?

Holy fuck how can no one find a good car for under 8k. If I had 8k on hand I could buy the car I want to have. It would need work but not much.

How many floods has it been in?

none but it was a police car my dad bought from an auction. runs fine but needs a new console and radio

I guess it depends on what one considers "good".

Don't be scared by high mileage, I got a 98 civic with 250k miles and all it needed was spark plugs and wires and it runs tip top, bought it for 500 bucks
(I have 3 cars and spent less than 5k on all of them combined)

I wouldn't be scared but all I keep hearing is that I shouldn't waste the 3k on something that's just gonna fall apart in a few years, and to find something that will still have resale value when I can afford a better vehicle.

Sound like a good deal to me. You could probably turn around and sell it for twice as much.

Lucky for me I don't really care for anything newer than 06. Too much bullshit in newer cars.

Bullshit, post up CL

If you keep the car in good condition I don't see why you couldn't resell it for what you bought it for when it's that cheap

I'll sell you my cavalier. It's already worth jack shit so you don't have to worry about depreciation.

Yeah, these are people who don't take care of their cars. If you buy an old civic or corolla, there may be one or two maintenance problems that pop up, but if you read the sticky about what to look out for, assuming you follow it well, you should be able to find a car with 150-200k miles on it and take it all the way to 300k. The good thing about old econoboxes is that the people who buy them generally all want them for the same reason.

because who will buy a car with 200k miles on it?

When it's that low of price lots, I've bought multiple 200k + vehicles

There are literally 500 vehicles in your price range and under 100k.
>Guys we are done here. OP is clearly retarded.

>tfw his craigslist results are much, much better than mine
living in Iowa is suffering

if you look strictly at the number of listings, sure. but how many of those don't run, how many need all tires replaced? how many are pieces of crap, even for an "econobox"?

also, can you pick one or two, maybe even three, and show me what you mean? I look at the front page and can't see anything worthwhile.

Take the police car

You can get a decent 90s shitbox for under 2k if you look hard enough.

Damn near all of them run and look great.
> tires.
Really? You can't handle getting tires. I put used Michelins with 80% tread on my car for $200. You could get new lower quality tires for 400 or less.

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773651118.html

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5763138047.html

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773398140.html

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773117976.html

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5761194583.html

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5770397686.html

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5763374274.html

and I'm only looking at manual trans between 1-8k

You can probably get a Miata with 85k miles for under $3k.

fuck you op
>needing more than $3k

worked my ass off through high school for an AW11 and parents took it to pay for college now want me to keep the shit 2007 corolla

Here's a mint one owner civic for 2k. 126k miles.

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5772424933.html

5spd toyota corolla or honda civic (if you can find a clean one)

Box but not shit
And good mpgees

I bought my lesbian 2005 outback for 3k (with a shot suspension but it still rides good enough)

OP buy based on condition, and frankly just going off the previous owner. IE do they live in a decent house and take care of their yard? Is the car's interior clean and did they obviously take some pride in owning it? Do they have receipts of repairs, or at least a recollection of what's been done?

I'd say that overall trumps most make/model differences (to a degree). Having said that, I'm not recommending you buy a mid 2000s Audi Allroad just because some rich dude owned it.

If you're up north really check the car for rust.

I'll make this very easy for you (and fun for me): post your local craigslist and us a/o/tists will find you something decent.

Pic related is a '00 Maxima I scooped up for $1600 from a neighbor, with about $500 invested into new brakes and strut assemblies all around, some light rust-related bodywork, and a morning with an orbital buffer. Still far from perfect mechanically, but it's a reliable A-B car that cruises smoothly down the highway with A/C and plenty of power on tap.

>Box and shit

A bit overpriced, but this is a super-sure bet:

lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/5772113659.html

A cheaper variant of the same car. On either one of these, confirm that the timing belt was changed per schedule, the 85k car is of particular concern, actually.

Forgot link:

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5758029651.html

Is a formal rental car bad? Looking at a 2014 corolla for like 12k, 45000 miles

Not op btw. So I'd be cucking myself with financing.

Wanna go fast?

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5773946746.html

Wanna go fast with some style?

delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5772696198.html

You got some decent stuff near you. I usually see SS Cobalt's going for 6k around me.

That's not that cheap and rentals tend to go neglected and abused

That's what I thought. It would be an ok price if it was actually nice. Rental made me hesitant though.

Yes. Just get a civic for 3k or a car thats actually worth financing that won't make you hate it.

3k civic where at

>its another "i'm a manchild please make decisions for me" thread

just buy any random non-rusted 20 year old shitbox nobody cares