BMW Motorsport

BMW Motorsport no longer races in LeMans or F1. BMW's motorsport program is represented by three cars, the M235i Racing, the M4 DTM, and the M6 GT3.

In the past BMW was cleaning house in LeMans, F1, the WTCC, the WRC, the FIA GT, ADAC GT, JGTC, etc.

What happened? Why has BMW, a brand built around motorsport, turned tail so hard? Is pic related to blame?

A lot of things are to blame. This BMW is no longer the BMW of yore

Who even cares
Go wrench on your car

Because muh racing heritage no longer works for BMW as a marketing strategy so they no longer need to invest in motorsport.

Because

Well their cars are certainly no longer performance oriented

Pretty much. I don't know if it was the accountants that killed it or what, but the whole Motorsport and M divisions are shadows of their former selves.

It's particularly sad to me seeing what's happened to the M road cars. There used to be a real sense that they were something special, like there was this bastion of track junkies within BMW slipping crazy performance cars out the back door and into dealerships. Now they just feel like a trim level.

>primarily make saloon cars
>only compete in saloon car racing
Crazy

They are a trim level.

Check out the M335i and M Sport lines.

AMG is in the same boat with their "AMG Sport" line of cars.

2 and 6 series are saloons are they???

Oh yeah, that goes without saying, but I was talking about the "real" M cars.

I really need to find somebody who will let me drive their M2, so I can see if BMW at least has a bit of soul left. It's sure as hell not there in the M3 and M4. (And unlike most people who talk about them on Veeky Forums, I actually have a ton of experience with M cars, having worked until last year for an M specialty shop.)

"M sport" has been a trim level for decades.

It's 2016, Motorsport is irrelevant now

What are you talking about. They are still slower than corollas.

go on - post your cherrypicked images, I know you want to.

I've tried one for about 15-20 minutes and I though it was pretty fucking neato. Then again, my experience with cars in general is kinda limited, and to M cars the E39 M5.

So, I've not had too much to compare it with but I liked it a lot

>no naturally aspirated engines
>fake engine sound through speakers to hide shitty exhaust notes
>pigfat SUVs
>FWD shitboxes
>no dipsticks
>M-cars offer 1% more performance over American pony cars for 200% the price
>no steering feel
>bad shifters
>naming convention cast aside
>halo car is a 3 cylinder hybrid

BMW is fucking garbage, let's be honest with our selves.

I havent been feeling well lately. Doctor has me on meds. Meds make me more sicks. Ill try harder next time. Not right now though

>Have Twitch stream on in the background, he's ironically playing "In the Arms of an Angel"
>Read this post

I think I'm about to cry over a car company's sad decline

>7 series is all about trendy gadgets and Apple tier design with sporty suspension to appeal to yuppies
Why the fuck would you do this to your luxury apex model?

We now live in a world in which Ford and Hyundai are good, and BMW and Toyota are shit.

What the fuck happened?

BMW are not stupid, irregardless of what we think. They will make the cars appealing to people who they think wants to buy it

People are more interested in green cars than sports cars. The hybrid i8 as a halo car makes sense. Maybe not to us, but to most, it does

>irregardless

>BMW are not stupid
Learn grammar please

Sadly, I'm afraid you have a point.

Even when it comes to performance, people these days seem to only care about numbers on paper and not what a car is actually like to drive. Even "enthusiasts" do it, just look at the endless benchracing on Veeky Forums.

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand what you are implying. Missed the spelling?

>The hybrid i8 as a halo car makes sense. Maybe not to us, but to most, it does
It does to me, after all the 918, P1 and laferrari are all hybrids. Veeky Forums just likes to hate on hybrids blindly. That said, the i8 just isn't that good

Oh God. I'm fine with Ford having a period in the light but the Koreans?
>notlikethis.jpeg

Its not a word. And even if you used the actual word (regardless) you would have used it incorrectly.

>I don't understand how modern motorsports works the post

>the new 7 series is the first proper S class competitor
>M4 GTS is the first proper Porsche GT3/GT3RS competitor
>X5M/X6M fastest SUV/Crossover on the market today
>3 and 5 series still the top selling cars in class
Their new turbo engines do sound like shit though

>>M4 GTS is the first proper Porsche GT3/GT3RS competitor

Ehh, I'd say that would be the CSL

sounds like they're more obsessed with what others are doing rather than being a distinctive and authentic manufacturer. i8 excepted

The GTS may compete in intent with the GT3, but I find it hard to believe that it compares in driving dynamics. I haven't driven a GTS but I've driven the 991 GT3, the normal 991, and the F8x Ms, and I just don't see how you could turn the M4 into something comparable to the GT3.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the 991 GT3 either, though, I prefer even a 997 C2S in the real world. (Including trackdays.)

Motortrend fucking blasted the 7-series in the 750 vs S-Class competition. It didn't really do anything better.

The M4 GTS has poor performance for its price tag, and is useless as anything other than a track car.

>motortrend
MT hates any BMW made since 2005, dunno who takes them seriously anymore
Also M760i>S65

>the M760 is BMWs fastest accelerating car

Its not their fault BMW has gotten terrible over the last decade. Bad cars deserve to be shit on. For what its worth, they genuinely like the M2.

Lmfao the new 7 is nowhere near to competing with the S, retard

I blame the market. People don't really give a shit about how their car's performance or handling. They give a shit about how it looks, in and out, and what badge its wearing. That's why the 320i, CLA 250, A3, and so on are some of the best selling in their respective lineups - BMW badge, but could be beaten by a V6 Accord by a half-competent driver.

>looks
The CLA looks like it rubbing its ass on the carpet, badge>looks

Eh, no it hasn't.